Looking at buying a c5

Jimmywick

CCCUK Member
I’ve had a Dodge Challenger for three years now srt and I do 25000 miles a year in it and I’m thinking of swapping for a c5 on an 04 plate what’s everyone’s thoughts on doing that mileage with one ???

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I know multi C5 owners with around 200,000 miles on them and not needing any internal engine or tranny work
and just using a bit of engine oil
I have a 1999 C5 since 2000, and it runs like new
GM is pretty good on their LSx engine designs, and they are like bullets

If you're looking at 2003-4 MYs even the base engine is like the LS6 engine,
has a bit faster PCM and fuel injectors are a bit bigger, so is the MAF

Jimmywick

CCCUK Member
Thanks a lot I’m totally new to corvettes just fancied a change maybe but do alot of miles always thought they would be uncomfortable but test driven it and it was really comfortable

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I have 4 screwed up discs in my spine and I have multi times drove round trip from Ca to Il (2,800 miles each way)
and only stop for like a 2-hour sleep and that is with race shocks, shorter height tires, and the car lowered, so C5 drives very well
This is with the sports seats, which are a bit stiffer

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Yes. They’re a proper modern car from a reputable manufacturer. Have a look on bring a trailer in the States and the intergalactic mileage some cars have done.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
So everyone would be happy for a c5 to be a daily drive and do miles ?
Yes. I had a C5 for more than a decade and they are great cars for the real world. Didn't do mega annual miles but they clocked up over the years.

The good thing about C5 is the car was thoroughly engineered from the outset. The limited number of regular faults that exist are well understood and generally not difficult/expensive to fix. Parts availability is generally very good although the specific "Euro" parts can be trickier to get. (Key fobs, TPMS sensors, headlamp units etc.)

In terms of ownership prospects make sure the seats are in good shape when you buy. They were built down to a price (as was the whole interior) and can get very worn. To say that the headlamps are poor would be an understatement, so watch out for that. Sufficiently poor to limit A/B-road progress at night. Also watch out for a couple of other things; under braking the nose of the car tends to "dive". This doesn't matter when driving in a straight line but causes the car to squirm if you have any steering applied. The rear body of the car also has a tendency to wobble if you hit a bump while in a corner. If you were to buy a 4-speed auto watch out for what can very violent kickdown from 4th to 2nd - sufficient to unsettle the back of the car. I used to downshift manually to third ahead of an overtake in order to suppress that aspect.

In summary, C5 is a great and reliable car - quick enough for real-world use. If you want to go "fast" there are some modest reservations.

Eurovettes

Supporting vendor
Full 4 wheel alignment transforms a poor riding c5 (same for C4 and c3)

I love c5s run for ever I have owned 5.

Look out for harmonic balancer wobble

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
A friend in CA had just over 300k on his one when he sold it for a C7. Bought it new, used it every day of the week. No major problems in his ownership.

Jimmywick

CCCUK Member
Good to hear thanks just arguing over the price and part ex but all being well will be in one by Saturday then at cannon run and coffee on Sunday which I was luckily asked too!

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
To keep you busy till then,
attached below is a C5 owner's manual and also the full GM engineering design for C5s PDFs

Enjoy !

Attachments

• 1999corvette.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 1999_chevrolet_corvette_owners.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 8

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Congratulations on your purchase of a C5, ( coupe or convertible?) I’m sure you will love it. The only drawback against your Challenger, will be the lack of the two rear seats, which I must admit do come in handy when off to shows in numbers.