Looking to get into C3 Ownership - help needed please!

Vettemike09

Committee Member
Gus, I am somewhat confused by your comments about EMC latterly after your somewhat negative initial comment. I appreciate that everyone is entitled to their opinion and respect that. However, in this instance the consequences of you comments are that Gavin Roe, who owns EMC, and who is not actually a CCCUK club member, is threatening to sue all of the club committee members and has apparently sought legal advice on the subject of your comments. We are helping to run this club for no financial gain and by dedicating our own free time. If Gavin wishes to sue me then that is fine, he has my mobile number and email address but all the emails like those he sent as a result of him being “insulted” by your comments do is piss off those dedicating their time to the club and we end up in the situation where we have a depleted and despondent committee which then leads to a downward spiral. The question is, what do we do about this over the top reaction by Gavin Roe???

monty

CCCUK regional rep
Oh dear what a situation this has become, as chairman of probably the biggest off road organisation in Europe i see this all the time, people commenting on their experiences with others, as for suing HMMM, i don't know Gavin or had any dealings with him but if that had been me on the receiving end of Gus's comments i would have replied on here instead of threatening and pissing committee members off.Gus is entitled to his opinions the same as Gav is and as we don't know the full extent of the dealings between the two of them it should be those two that sort it out preferably in private not on social media.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
You’ve alluded to a small block with power. The stock C3 towards the end of the chrome bumper run gave 200 or 270 BHP. But in 1970 – 1972 the LT-1 was available with small block and uprated power. ’70 offered 370BHP, 71 it was down to 330 and in ’72 in order to include air conditioning it was down to 255BHP.
I have two 1971 LT-1’s although one has been stroked and is now around 425BHP the other with the factory 330 is still a blast to drive. Never available with auto trans so all are manual.

From Wiki

: Chevrolet LT-1 - Wikipedia
LT1[edit]
In 1992 General Motors introduced the LT1, 350 cu in (5.7 L) Small Block whose name was a tribute to the original LT-1. This engine was available through 1997. In a dynamometer test conducted by Super Chevy comparing a 1970 LT-1 and a 1996 LT1, the old motor produced 353 hp (263 kW) at 5,600 rpm and 392 lb⋅ft (531 N⋅m) of torque at 4,100 rpm, while the new motor produced 350 hp (261 kW) at 5,700 rpm and 379 lb⋅ft (514 N⋅m) of torque at 3,800 rpm.
Production numbers[edit]
Camaro
Corvette
Nova (COPO)
8,733​
1,287*​
52****​
4,862​
1,949**​
2,575​
1,741***​
* 25 of these were ordered with RPO ZR1.
** 8 of these were ordered with RPO ZR1.
*** 20 of these were ordered with RPO ZR1.
**** 50 of these were converted into Yenko Deuces.

HJG

Well-known user
Cheers guys...sorry to have opened a can of worms.
Anyway, again thanks for the help.
If the internet's good for one thing, it's broad advice on big decisions.
The LT-1 engine sure looks tempting...finding one doesn't look to be too simple. Prepared to take my time but if the right car comes up I'm definitely interested.
I'm an automotive engineer by career but these vehicles pre-date me by some years so OHV and carburation is a little alien.

I'm looking forward to Corvette ownership...

Oneball

CCCUK Member
You could have a ring around the usual Corvette suspects, Claremont, Corvette Kingdom, EMC. Although they might not have anything at the moment they might know of cars for sale or things that are coming up.

Have you driven one yet?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I've had only a quick go in one...not enough to actually see what it's all about. I do need to get into one properly somehow!
So you know you fit then, I was surprised the first time I got in one how small they seemed on the inside.

Last edited:

antijam

CCCUK Member
Do you know you fit then, I was surprised the first time I got in one how small they seemed on the inside.

Despite its charismatic styling, the early C3 must be one of the most space inefficient designs of all time. A 4.62m long two-seater with no trunk and only a nominal shelf behind the occupants for storage. As you say Oneball, the cockpit is not overgenerous in accommodation and there's a definite technique involved in sliding behind the wheel

Admittedly designed to a different spec, the contemporary Mustang was the same length, had four seats and a generous trunk.

Johnd

Regular user
Hi, I have a 75 manual convertible for sale (listed on here & facebook) if you are interested in slightly later model. Really enjoyed my ownership but want to go back to a full size 50s cruiser!

Roscobbc

Many members/users will be aware that I moderated/deleted some of the content of this thread last week. This was done on the basis that the original context had been hi-jacked and was developing in to a slanging match between various parties so much of this content was removed.
The CCCUK committee upon reflection have decided to re-instate the deleted content. The committee feels that it is fairer for CCCUK members to see ALL of the thread and make their own judgement as to the validity of the 'off-topic' content.
We need to remember that the 'hi-jacked' content relates to an individual who had previously declined previous suggestions to join the CCCUK and become an active, contributing participant. This was despite the club 'reaching out' to him following a similar debacle earlier last year.
This is a public forum and CCCUK members are perfectly entitled to make recommendations about experiences with CCCUK member traders (and non-member traders) on this forum, whether positive or otherwise as long as the comment is not defamatory.

Last edited:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
At this point I am not referring to a particular Trader or comment, but the whole matter of reviews on Suppliers needs to be addressed by the Committee to a satisfactory resolve once and for all, for all those involved.
We do not wish to see negative reviews, but at the same time the Club is here for the Members and we do not want to witness a Member asking for help and then see someone directing that Member to a Trader whom we know have proved themselves not worthy on many an occasion.
It is a difficult situation that needs to be addressed
On the point of any pending Legal action, if someone has posted a defamatory remark about a Trader, not out of malice but based on their honest opinion and true fact - The Trader would be ill advised to pursue such an action against the person making the statement or indeed the publicist.

We are a friendly bunch of Vette Heads and we do not want derogatory remarks of any sort within our Forum or any unfriendly attitudes and indeed be involved with any bad traders.
I look to the Committee to find a way of keeping the Forum positive whilst at the same time preventing a Member being pointed in a bad direction - a difficult one - But the Club is here for the Members.

Now let us get back to the thread of "looking to get into ownership of a C3"

antijam

CCCUK Member
......Now let us get back to the thread of "looking to get into ownership of a C3"

Agreed, but just to elucidate the problem. Bad reviews are a very common internet characteristic - just read Trust Pilot, Trip Advisor, Amazon et al. Comments on a website are illegal if they are malicious or completely untrue. Comments are criminal if libellous, i.e. they constitute written defamation of a persons character.

Anyone contemplating legal action in response to web-page comments is unlikely to succeed unless either of these conditions are positively satisfied.

As Daytona Vette points out, to be of any value, reviews of suppliers of services or goods need to both positive and negative when justified.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Agreed, but just to elucidate the problem. Bad reviews are a very common internet characteristic - just read Trust Pilot, Trip Advisor, Amazon et al. Comments on a website are illegal if they are malicious or completely untrue. Comments are criminal if libellous, i.e. they constitute written defamation of a persons character.

Anyone contemplating legal action in response to web-page comments is unlikely to succeed unless either of these conditions are positively satisfied.

As Daytona Vette points out, to be of any value, reviews of suppliers of services or goods need to both positive and negative when justified.
No we do NOT want negative Reviews, but we need to somehow stop someone who is asking for help being directed to a bad Trader

HJG

Well-known user
Thanks Antijam. Unfortunately both autos. Both adverts are thin on detail too for the price. Maybe I’ll be able to go have a look at least to see what my money gets me. Cheers.

Dazaa

Well-known user
25k will buy you a real good car from the states, if you join the USA Corvette forum and post up any cars you might be interested in the guys over there will tell you if anything looks amiss and you'll definitely find someone in the area who will go down and check it out in person. I ended up paying around 250 dollars to someone who sent me 100 pictures and a 3 page report on exactly what my car needed (it was the cheapest chrome bumper car anywhere at 8k GBP but had absolutely no rust whatsoever and all the factory oxide paint was still present on the cage inside) Bear in mind c3's tend to rust in specific places that you NEED to have checked before handing over any money such as the body mounts, frame around the rear wheels, birdcage, radiator support ect. Just search for c3 windshield repairs to see how the shiny trim can be hiding an absolute disaster. I personally wouldn't touch any c3 being sold by a dealer anywhere in the world, go for a private seller who is willing to remove the kick panels inside and send pictures of the cage, any hesitation to do this is a sure fire sign that the car isn't solid. Also if you're coming from an E46 you might be surprised just how cramped the interior of the c3 is, there is almost no cargo space, the footwells are really small and theres no cup holders!!!

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Thanks for all the advice so far. Really appreciated. The general consensus is to view before buying and this is definitely the preferred route. Just have to stop myself being drawn in by the international adverts! It would be a lot of money to drop on 'my first import' so I'll concentrate on cars within the UK/Europe i.e. within a view-able distance.
I have noticed red is a very popular colour and they do look great. Did they make a lot of red cars? Are values affected much if the colour is not original?

As I delve further into C3 research I'm sure to have more questions. Please do let me know if anyone hears of or has one for sale :)

Cheers.

As the great John Heinricy said "All Corvettes are red, the rest are mistakes"! (And I'm not at all biased of course!):) In reality, red has not actually been the most popular colour, certainly not from new. But it does seem that way. The colour can affect value - not every thing Chevy did was loved by all! And, it can make a differnce if teh colour is not original - you'll need to decide if you want an oiginal car or not and, if you are buying to re-sell or keep.

And, my advice to anyone thinking about getting into Corvette ownership is to read, read and read! Buy the books. The Corvette Back Book of course, (which will give details of the colours sold among other essential info) then any one of the books on C3s - Tom Falconers "Original 1968-82 Corvette" Richard Prince's Restoration Guide, and if you can find a copy Richard Langworth's Complete Corvette. And of course, the quoted book above "All Corvettes Are Red", by Jim Shefter. Be familiar with the cars before you even think about who you will buy from. Then, you'll have informed bargaining power, not just "general automotive knowledge", often not fully appropriate to Corvettes!

And don't get bogged down with personal experiences, go and see some of the vendors and form you own opinions. Our car came from a source who some love, some definitely do not - we had no complaints, it was just how we found him and how we dealt with him.

Sorry you are not a fan of the later cars - in my view, how the C3 was always supposed to look! But each to his own.....👍