Looks like walking would be faster for you guys

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
London really IS the most congested city in the world: Drivers take 42.5 minutes to travel just 6.2 MILES on average, a report reveals

It is pretty common knowledge that no one is getting anywhere quickly when they get behind the steering wheel in central London during rush hour.
But a report from TomTom has revealed that it is actually the worst city in the world for congestion at peak times.
It takes drivers an average of 42.5 minutes to travel just 6.2 miles (10 km) in a petrol car, with 43 per cent of that time being the result of traffic.

For comparison, it takes just 32 minutes to drive the same distance in Paris, 28 minutes in Manchester and 25 minutes in Los Angeles.
But coming in second and third place respectively are Bucharest in Romania and Dublin in Ireland, where it takes about 36 minutes for this journey at peak time.

TomTom has created a report, titled 'TomTom Traffic Index 2022', detailing the fuel consumption, travel times and carbon dioxide emissions of drivers in 50 global cities.
Pictured: Time taken to drive 6.2 miles (10 km) in peak time rush hour (dark blue)
and when the traffic was lowest (light blue) in different cities

UKcrawl.jpg

Roscobbc

Anyone want to know why.? Factor-in (over the last 10 years or so) enlarged pavements and reduced width and removed carriageways. Blocked side streets (to prevent 'rat runs'). Increased numbers of one way streets. Traffic light phasing biased again road users. Yellow box junctions with cameras issuing instant fines. 24/7 bus lanes where buses don't actually operate 24/7. Whole boroughs where maximum enforced speed limit is 20mph. Zero traffic neighbourhoods. Licenses granted to over 90 thousand Uber type taxi drivers. Central London congestion charge. Recent introduction of Ultra Low Emission Zone to inner London boroughs. Expansion of ULEZ zone to all London boroughs this August. Need I go on.....all over measures supposed to reduce pollution in fact create additional pollution.......and that is the long term plan.......you wanna drive in London you'll have to pay deep for it........the pollution is of secondary concern.....it's about the money!

antijam

CCCUK Member
Interestingly the most congested city in the USA, Chicago (INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard) only comes 95th in the TomTom index. However INRIX places Chicago second after London in world rankings for lost hours due to congestion. As Mark Twain put it, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
On average it takes me 90 minutes to travel 13 miles home from central London. Solid traffic from the minute I leave until I arrive home.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Interestingly the most congested city in the USA, Chicago (INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard) only comes 95th in the TomTom index. However INRIX places Chicago second after London in world rankings for lost hours due to congestion. As Mark Twain put it, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

In cities like Chicago, it is not about the cars on roads
but low long you're on the side of the road getting robbed, raped, shot or buying drugs

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
There’s a classic advert for the 1962 corvette driving along central Chicago with the top down. You would have to be pretty brave to do that nowadays.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Many years ago I remember driving around Chicago looking for a specific Jazz Club and got hopelessly lost. I ended up in the Southside miles from where I should have been and thought I'd stop and ask directions. As I was slowing down the nature of my surroundings suddenly dawned on me and I decided it might be more street savvy to keep going. I didn't find the Club.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Many years ago I remember driving around Chicago looking for a specific Jazz Club and got hopelessly lost. I ended up in the Southside miles from where I should have been and thought I'd stop and ask directions. As I was slowing down the nature of my surroundings suddenly dawned on me and I decided it might be more street savvy to keep going. I didn't find the Club.
Good call.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Good call.
Sounds a bit like Moss Side , Manchester in the early 70`s . I had a mate who was a Detective Constable in the Manchester Police Force and after a night out hitting the bars and clubs in the city centre he drove through Moss Side in the early hours to show me a `southern lad` the sleezier side of life up there . He said to keep the doors locked and not to worry if he ran a red light as he would not be stopping !!! His car by the way was an ex police Mini Cooper S that was white with a black roof .

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Anyone want to know why.? Factor-in (over the last 10 years or so) enlarged pavements and reduced width and removed carriageways. Blocked side streets (to prevent 'rat runs'). Increased numbers of one way streets. Traffic light phasing biased again road users. Yellow box junctions with cameras issuing instant fines. 24/7 bus lanes where buses don't actually operate 24/7. Whole boroughs where maximum enforced speed limit is 20mph. Zero traffic neighbourhoods. Licenses granted to over 90 thousand Uber type taxi drivers. Central London congestion charge. Recent introduction of Ultra Low Emission Zone to inner London boroughs. Expansion of ULEZ zone to all London boroughs this August. Need I go on.....all over measures supposed to reduce pollution in fact create additional pollution.......and that is the long term plan.......you wanna drive in London you'll have to pay deep for it........the pollution is of secondary concern.....it's about the money!
You forgot to mention the 100's of empty double decker buses on the roads whizzing down the empty bus lanes then pulling out in front of everyone at every junction.

Cyclists that aren't happy enough with their own cycle lane so they steal our lane too. Rarely drive to London now so I suppose Khan beat me into submission

Roscobbc

You forgot to mention the 100's of empty double decker buses on the roads whizzing down the empty bus lanes then pulling out in front of everyone at every junction.

Cyclists that aren't happy enough with their own cycle lane so they steal our lane too. Rarely drive to London now so I suppose Khan beat me into submission
Yes - and the permanent 24/7 cycle lanes that only really see masses of bikes for an hour or two in the morning and late afternoon, little use at non-peak times and zero use except for the occasional few young drunks out for a laugh during the evening and early hours.
I could do the 12 mile journey in to Govent Garden or similar area later in the evening in an easy 35/40 minutes - return journey in the early hours with frequent road closures for maintenance and Ubers getting in the way is generally an hour/hour and 20 minutes - and most of that except for the last 20 minutes is the Embankment and Upper/Lower Thames Street. A trip over to the Chelsea Cruise is not an easy journey any more either!

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Just maybe the photos I see, but sure looks like many of your roads are narrow and of that taking up more road for bike lanes
only has to make traffic flow worse

If so, why do they not widen them, would allow more traffic flow ?

Roscobbc

Just maybe the photos I see, but sure looks like many of your roads are narrow and of that taking up more road for bike lanes
only has to make traffic flow worse

If so, why do they not widen them, would allow more traffic flow ?
They will not widen the roads as they are trying to force all cars off the road in London. If you really want to drive in London you'll pay dearly for it. Choose the wrong vehicle and it could cost you up to £30 to drive in to central London through the ULEZ and Congestion charge zones - stay in London after midnight and it could be as much as £40 or more. That doesn't include parking fees which coulkd easily double that figure.......and lets no forget the current cost of fuel to add to that............