Lost my gear shift (C5 Auto)

Krusty

Well-known user
Just been out for a 50 mile round trip in my 2001 C5 Targa Auto, not a single problem.
I got home and put the car in to reverse to put in on my driveway and I lostaall gears! feels like the selector is attached to nothing!
I've took the centre console off and all seems to be OK there... it feels as if the shifter cable has come off at the gearbox end.

That's as far as my knowledge goes with this so after advice on what to do and how to fix?
Also, the cable has now popped off at the selector end and I can't get it to go back on... what am I missing?
20230326_134833.jpg
Cheers

Krusty

Well-known user
Looks like I've broke my shifter cable 🤦‍♂️

20230326_142149.jpg

Apparently this is quite common on C5 auto's???
I've purchased a new cable, should be here through the week.
Do you really have to take the exhaust etc off to do it?
It looks pretty accessible enough to feed the cable through from the transaxle to the selector 🧐
looks easy enough to undo the clips located through the selector hole and underneath at the transaxle end 🧐

Last edited:

petchy56

CCCUK Member
l took off the plastic cover
off loads of screws. theres a tricky clip to undo near the front end. access is tight.tread it through clip it together. make sure selector is in neutral and gearbox is in neutral when you reattach cable.

Krusty

Well-known user
l took off the plastic cover
off loads of screws. theres a tricky clip to undo near the front end. access is tight.tread it through clip it together. make sure selector is in neutral and gearbox is in neutral when you reattach cable.

So do I need to do any adjustment? Or is it simply have the gearbox in neutral, shifter in neutral and just attach it up as required?

Also, do the ends of the cable just push fit or are they held in with a circlip etc?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Make sure the new cable comes with new bushings for end links, if not get new ones
Cable connects to frame at both ends as photo shows, and you may not be able to get to both without
lowering exhaust down from exhaust manifolds to get the tunnel plate off

Make sure the tranny is in neutral first before connecting cable to shifter is also in neutral
Make sure the pivot point of the shifter has a bit of good lube on it

Also, common mistake is when putting the center console on it people forget to connect all wiring connectors
like the cigarette lighter, so try using it first to assure connected before bolting console down

C5A4shiftcable_.jpg

Krusty

Well-known user
Make sure the new cable comes with new bushings for end links, if not get new ones
Cable connects to frame at both ends as photo shows, and you may not be able to get to both without
lowering exhaust down from exhaust manifolds to get the tunnel plate off

Make sure the tranny is in neutral first before connecting cable to shifter is also in neutral
Make sure the pivot point of the shifter has a bit of good lube on it

Also, common mistake is when putting the center console on it people forget to connect all wiring connectors
like the cigarette lighter, so try using it first to assure connected before bolting console down

Awesome! let's see how we get on haha.
How does the cable secure to the shifter? does it just push on with a noticeable click?

Also I was looking around the car last night just trying to get an idea of the job. Correct me if I'm wrong, if I had someone sat in the car to help me then I can't see why it's not possible to feed the cable up through the tunnel as I'm pulling the old one out??? I look to have plenty of room to put my hand in the selector hole and remove the clip that secures the cable outer to the body 🧐
I assume as long as I can get to that clip in the tunnel and to the bracket on the gearbox end, I should be on to a winner....... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Krusty

Well-known user
I was up and at it early this morning and got the rear of the car up on stands. I could easily see that the cable connector has clearly broke off the shifter arm on the gearbox.
I managed to get the shifter on the gearbox in to what I assume is neutral? (All the way back then 2 clicks forward) the wheels spin freely sooooo we'll go with that 🤷‍♂️😂🤣
Managed to get the shifter cable free also off the brackets front and back so it's just loosely sitting in place.
I have a plan for getting the new cable on without having to remove the exhaust etc. and it involves my friend with very small hands and spindly arms to reach in and get the 2x 13mm bolts back on the bracket at the gearbox 😂😂😂
I know I'm probably making a load more work for myself but I honestly don't have a good history with exhaust bolts, I also have no way of lifting the car any more than I have it now AND I can't drive it anywhere to use a ramp 🤦‍♂️ so I'm working with what I have 👍
If it works, I'll let you all know.
Just waiting on the new cable to arrive.
Wish me luck 😎👍
IMG-20230327-WA0000.jpeg

I'd still like to know how exactly the cable ends attach to the shifters?
Do they just push fit or need a clip of some sort?
I have no idea because they are unattached at either end and can't find any pics or info online 🧐🤷‍♂️
If someone could let me know this so I know what to do better when the cable arrives, that'd be great 😎

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Here are a couple of videos of people replacing the shifter cable
Watch these will help you decide on how you want to do this
The ends simply clip on and off

I assume if somehow you get the cable totally free, you could use it as a fish tape
by tieing the end of the old and new cable ends and then 1 person guiding new cable
as other person pulls old one out, pulling new one in place, but if they gt caught then will have to get
tunnel plate off

Krusty

Well-known user
Here are a couple of videos of people replacing the shifter cable
Watch these will help you decide on how you want to do this
The ends simply clip on and off

I assume if somehow you get the cable totally free, you could use it as a fish tape
by tieing the end of the old and new cable ends and then 1 person guiding new cable
as other person pulls old one out, pulling new one in place, but if they gt caught then will have to get
tunnel plate off

Cheers for this, this helps a lot.
Worst case scenario, I'll have to take the exhaust and tunnel plate off... but I'm hoping I get lucky 😂😂😂

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If fishing the cable through the drivetube tunnel, do it easy and not pull hard if the cable hangs up
as you could break the new one :-(

Krusty

Well-known user
Update
Near enough 2 weeks has passed, the new cable I ordered arrived wrong 🤦‍♂️
They sent me one for an 03 onwards even though I ordered the correct one for my 01 model.
Just found out today that the correct cable has apparently been lost in transit.
So I've missed 2 weeks of gorgeous weather and still no cable can be sent until Tuesday the earliest 😓

So I'm appealing now, does anyone possibly have a shifter cable for a 97-02 C5 Auto???

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
To add to your woes, I've seen a video of those types of jack stands failing. The weld on the three legs to the base plate breaks and the jack does the splits.

Find a second line of defence please

Krusty

Well-known user
New (correct) shift cable arrived this morning.
It was a bit of a pain but I can definitely confirm that with a little patience, you can infact do the job without removing the exhaust and drive tube tunnel plate 😎👍
I simply put a cable tie through the rear eyelet of the old cable and the front eyelet of the new cable, then had the missus sit in the car and pull the old cable out slowly as I was under the rear of the car feeding the new cable through until it was in place.
I then put the bracket back on the gearbox and then clipped the cable in to place at both ends. A bit fiddly... but again with patience, it can be done (even with my huge hands).
I then fitted the cable to the shifter whilst in neutral, put the gearbox in neutral and adjusted the cable end correctly before locking the cable in place (I'm sure you all know what I mean by that, the little clip that you click in to lock the cable length in place at the gearbox end).
anyway, it's perfect now and shifts lovely... I didn't realise how much mine must of been on its way out 🙈🤣

Pic of the car done... yes, I did do it in the rain and in shorts, I have very wet legs 😂
20230412_142223.jpg
20230412_142300.jpg

Krusty

Well-known user
I don't know if this is worth it? but as mentioned in one of my last posts, I have a spare shift cable that was wrongly sent for my car. It is listed for a C5 and C6 years 2003-2005 (my car is a 2001 so has different fitting clips).
If anyone needs it, give me a shout... it's of no use to me!
Maybe buy me a few drinks or something? Or help towards renewing my years membership 🤷‍♂️😂

Same as in this photo so study the fitment clips carefully 🧐👍

Screenshot_20230414_020422_eBay.jpg

Cheers 😎

Last edited: