Manual Choke

Vetman

CCCUK Member
I start my 75 (electric choke Holley) with choke automatically engaged but then blip the throttle almost immediately to start its withdrawal. In SE England it is rarely very cold out. The electric choke needs electrical power 24/7 to keep it open. Has anyone touched the choke black plastic case and burnt their finger on the case?
I think I would prefer a manual choke. It would need a bracket and cable through the bulkhead and a knob on the dashboard. Anyone else feel the same?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Haven’t got any choke on mine. But I’ve converted a few cars back to electric operation after previous owners put a manual one in. It’s better than a manual choke in my opinion

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I start my 75 (electric choke Holley) with choke automatically engaged but then blip the throttle almost immediately to start its withdrawal. In SE England it is rarely very cold out. The electric choke needs electrical power 24/7 to keep it open. Has anyone touched the choke black plastic case and burnt their finger on the case?
I think I would prefer a manual choke. It would need a bracket and cable through the bulkhead and a knob on the dashboard. Anyone else feel the same?

I am missing something ?

Why not add a single pole switch in the dash area and control when choke gets power ?
Instead of dragging battery down 24/7

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I still do not see why choke has to be powered on 24/7 as these types of spring heats up real quickly
Some C3 came with an electric controlled choke and were not powered on 24/7

Common with C3s for owners to tap into the hot wire on the windshield wiper motor.
It energizes 12 volts after you turn on the key.
It should be the terminal nearest the steering column

Others have used an oil pressure switch

There are two places to install a GM style oil pressure switch for the choke.
The rear of the intake is obvious, but there is also a pressurized threaded port just above the oil filter pad.
There should be an ignition hot lead available in your firewall bulkhead connector, usually, GM used a 16 ga pink w/blk stripe to one side of the oil switch, then the other terminal had two leads coming off it-one is dark blue (goes back to the firewall bulkhead for the choke light) and a light blue that routes out to the electric choke on the carb.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Maybe the way he wrote it, but I assume being he stated 24/7 and case getting too hot was getting 12 volts even when off ?
If so then it needs to be rewired as I mentioned as would be some battery drain when car is off