MOT requirements for 1985 C4

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Trying trying to get a definitive answer as to what is required to get my car through an MOT regarding lights.
I know that I need rear amber indicators and not the flashing red lights as it is.
Do I need rear reflectors as seems to be required?
What is the best fog light solution, as at present it has a horrible light bolted onto the offside rear.
What needs to be done to the front lights, it has original lights with deflector stickers fitted.
Front indicators, I assume it just needs amber bulbs to be fitted?

Sorry for the question if already covered but couldn't find for a C4.

Mick Howes

CCCUK Member
Hi Steven, the front lights need changed, wont pass MOT with deflectors only. Front indicators, yes, just change the bulbs. Rear reflectors are needed. You can get a decent rear fog lamp from Halfords for around £10, can be in the centre, mine is, and many new cars have them fitted like this as standard.

Roscobbc

Reading through the 'Construction and Use' relulations is labourious but clearly indicates that a pair of rear reflectors must be fitted to any post 1986 vehicle (and its trailer)
There is a maximum height (which won't affect you) and a minimum height (350mm) which may influence placement. There are no rules regarding sizes of the reflectors. Suggest you buy a pair of stick-on reflectors and place them where convenient.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
C4’s that went to Germany ( and probably other EU counties) had two small reflectors added along the tail panel belt line .

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Here’s a picture I found, I seem to remember on the earlier pre 91 cars the rear reflectors were actually on the black beltlineD9121CED-1F5B-4DA9-B332-7C506BBB6470.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Here’s the earlier type. Shot shows a Euro car back in the US.
As you can see the reflectors are on the black beltline. Also the rear plate opening had spacers for a euro plate.
0DD3E686-1C33-44D6-BF8E-9FD8E8885984.jpeg

Last edited:

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Reading through the 'Construction and Use' relulations is labourious but clearly indicates that a pair of rear reflectors must be fitted to any post 1986 vehicle (and its trailer)
There is a maximum height (which won't affect you) and a minimum height (350mm) which may influence placement. There are no rules regarding sizes of the reflectors. Suggest you buy a pair of stick-on reflectors and place them where convenient.
As my one is 1985 I shouldn't need them then