Muncie rear bush

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, , anyone done the tailshaft bush and oil seal on their 4 speed? I noticed some side to side movement in the bush and the seal is leaking. . Wondering if the yoke is worn and needs replacing or if a new bush usually sorts it.
Is there a standard puller type tool to extract the bush ?
TiA👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, , anyone done the tailshaft bush and oil seal on their 4 speed? I noticed some side to side movement in the bush and the seal is leaking. . Wondering if the yoke is worn and needs replacing or if a new bush usually sorts it.
Is there a standard puller type tool to extract the bush ?
TiA👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi, anybody know of the puller required to extract the bush from the rear tail of the muncie? To buy or hire. I can find

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I’ve done it with the gearbox out. Remove the tailpiece then you can split and tap the old bush out. I can’t think of a way to do it in the car as the output shaft is in the way of any puller.

PS if the yoke is worn the bush will be too.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I’ve done it with the gearbox out. Remove the tailpiece then you can split and tap the old bush out. I can’t think of a way to do it in the car as the output shaft is in the way of any puller.

PS if the yoke is worn the bush will be too.
I saw a video of someone pulling out the yoke from its splines and then winding the bush out with a spreading type puller. 🤔👍

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The internal bearing pullers I’ve used have a central cone that spread them. I don’t see how that’d work with the output shaft inplace. unless there is a specifically sized one that’s made for the job.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
The internal bearing pullers I’ve used have a central cone that spread them. I don’t see how that’d work with the output shaft inplace. unless there is a specifically sized one that’s made for the job.
funny thing , it looked similar to a mastic gun tube with a bolt that you wound in with a socket and ratchet which then spread out fingers to grip the bush i think

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
It looked similar to that, I can see what you mean about access due to the splined shaft. I will go away and try to find it again. 👍
it was a video from tony’s garage, it actually isnt on a vette but looks the same box , yoke etc. the tool is by Miller , no 6957 and looks to fit over the mainshaft , not sure exactly how it pulls the bush but have a look and see what you think. BCCC38B5-608D-4A71-AFEB-A2019CDB845D.pngBCCC38B5-608D-4A71-AFEB-A2019CDB845D.pngBA853135-D832-483D-884A-C1BA8530203B.pngBCCC38B5-608D-4A71-AFEB-A2019CDB845D.png

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
B49828CA-DF38-408D-B40B-A4B7863F2DF7.jpeg[ATTACHB49828CA-DF38-408D-B40B-A4B7863F2DF7.jpegB49828CA-DF38-408D-B40B-A4B7863F2DF7.jpeg=full]19384[/ATTACH] do you think this sykes pickavant expanding collet puller would do the same job? It say 30 to 50 mm any idea on the size of the shaft? Not sure if it is long enough?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I doubt it as I’d imagine it’ll have a solid central expander so won’t go over the output shaft.
ah ! I wondered but the pic doesnt show the inside. I did find one in the usa but 260 dollars plus shipping. Will keep looking . Most said discontinued, I bet there are loads unused in peoples garages over there😩

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
ah ! I wondered but the pic doesnt show the inside. I did find one in the usa but 260 dollars plus shipping. Will keep looking . Most said discontinued, I bet there are loads unused in peoples garages over there😩
I have emailed the PO in the us in case he knows of one or a supplier.