Nationals 2023/ American Speed fest/ same dates

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Lest we forget , there is Silverstone Classic ( Branded `Festival` for 2023 ) over August 25th to 27th . Ok , so no Nascar but always some Yanks and stonking V8 powered cars racing and it`s the biggest event of its kind in the world . The car club turn outs are massive as is the public footfall . Every other club always makes a big effort to promote their marques significant anniversaries so why not CCCUK ?? On track displays laps included . Pit lane action and access to all areas too to soke up the fuel filled atmosphere . In my opinion there appears to be a general lack of interest by many members to display our cars to the wider public , enhance the clubs credibility and garner more interest in one of the worlds most iconic sports cars . Other clubs turn out in droves for Silverstone each year , why can`t we ? Is it a case of ` Apathy Rules - Who Cares ` :(
Silverstone is in the heart of the BBNC region and we have circa 120 members , where are they all ?? If only half that number turned out imagine what a display that would be . Not to mention the members that travel fron further afield . It would look better than rows and rows of Porche or Ferrari`s .
Sadly I wasn't able to make the Classic this year as I was on tour and I already know, that will again be the case in 2023. :cry:
Worst thing about life on the road - missing lots of good events back home. 🙈

Still... hoping to go to the Le Mans Classic again in my '73 to make up for missing the UK event. :cool:(y)

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
Over all my years of driving )let’s say fast cars) I have been to santa pod (run what ya brung) events and taken my cars down the strip, also raced around silverstone track plus other meets and not thought anything of it, as I have aged I have realised the importance of having genuine insurance that covers said events.

There is no way I would even think about doing it now without the proper insurance especially with the cost of repairs if something goes wrong and it ends up getting a fender bender. This I would imagine is at the forefront of most peoples minds now although not when we were much much younger. I bet most of the drivers I was doing it with ( we were all young) had any insurance that covered us for what we were doing.
Too many 'getout' clauses hidden in the small print on insurance policies certainly keep me off the track in my two Corvettes.
That said, if funds return to where they were before my 'ex' did her worst ( 🤬 ), I'd love to have a big HP full track spec C3 to play with one day. :cool:(y)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Sadly I wasn't able to make the Classic this year as I was on tour and I already know, that will again be the case in 2023. :cry:
Worst thing about life on the road - missing lots of good events back home. 🙈

Still... hoping to go to the Le Mans Classic again in my '73 to make up for missing the UK event. :cool:(y)
That`s the price you pay for a rock n roll lifestyle ! 🎸:LOL:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Just read through all this thread. Shame about the clash between the two venues on the same date. For me its about the same distance to both of them - almost 200 miles each way, over 3 and half hours each way.
Someone in the thread was saying about lack of people attending events etc, but the cost of Vette fuel, having to stay overnight and so forth just puts me off. If it were closer where I could go there and back in a day then that would be great. But alas, all the great events are miles away. Hey hum. I am hoping to attend some further away in 2023, but we'll see.

As for track days and so forth - I really, REALLY want to get involved with them, and would be nice to do them with the club. I used to do them back in the day, done Santa Pod, done Thruxton, done Castle Combe, done the Nurbringring, etc etc. So please, if anyone does organise any, I'd love to know when and where and I'll see what I can do. Granted though I might be a heathen and bring my Jap FTO to our Yank Vette event. But that's because I've done most of my track days in it, cosmetically its not great anyways so I'm not bothered about a run off or hitting a cone, and on a serious note I personally can get it to go faster than my Vette.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Too many 'getout' clauses hidden in the small print on insurance policies certainly keep me off the track in my two Corvettes.
That said, if funds return to where they were before my 'ex' did her worst ( 🤬 ), I'd love to have a big HP full track spec C3 to play with one day. :cool:(y)
We all tend to take our classic car insurance for granted........but if you are concerned about insurance 'cop-out' clauses relating to track events...........perhaps take an investigative look at your insurers policy relating to any event/location where aircraft 'movements' occur. A number of insurers used to specifically exclude any form of vehcile cover where aircraft 'movements' are happening. Whether that includes museums (like Hendon) where there are no flying aircraft or locations where vehicles are parked in specific locations well away from hangers, taxi-ways etc is something perhaps that needs to be investigated?

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Just read through all this thread. Shame about the clash between the two venues on the same date. For me its about the same distance to both of them - almost 200 miles each way, over 3 and half hours each way.
Someone in the thread was saying about lack of people attending events etc, but the cost of Vette fuel, having to stay overnight and so forth just puts me off. If it were closer where I could go there and back in a day then that would be great. But alas, all the great events are miles away. Hey hum. I am hoping to attend some further away in 2023, but we'll see.

As for track days and so forth - I really, REALLY want to get involved with them, and would be nice to do them with the club. I used to do them back in the day, done Santa Pod, done Thruxton, done Castle Combe, done the Nurbringring, etc etc. So please, if anyone does organise any, I'd love to know when and where and I'll see what I can do. Granted though I might be a heathen and bring my Jap FTO to our Yank Vette event. But that's because I've done most of my track days in it, cosmetically its not great anyways so I'm not bothered about a run off or hitting a cone, and on a serious note I personally can get it to go faster than my Vette.
David Smitheram and I will be trying to get something set up for 2023 following our previous jaunts at North Weald and Snetterton, so keep an eye open. As several have said, interest is very low..... Out of 1000 members, I would be surprised if we got 10 interested in a proper track day. Having said that, if we don't try, nothing will definitely happen! Those who get involved really seem to enjoy them, so let's hang onto that. Location is difficult, but any suggestions welcome and we will see what we can do. By the way, I was one of the 3 Vettes running this year at the Pod. Really difficult to see so few Vettes parked in such a big area, but boy, did I have fun on the strip!! Posted my best time so far! Keep the faith, Gentlemen and Happy Christmas to you!

Cheers

Mark

buzbee

CCCUK Member
David Smitheram and I will be trying to get something set up for 2023 following our previous jaunts at North Weald and Snetterton, so keep an eye open. As several have said, interest is very low..... Out of 1000 members, I would be surprised if we got 10 interested in a proper track day. Having said that, if we don't try, nothing will definitely happen! Those who get involved really seem to enjoy them, so let's hang onto that. Location is difficult, but any suggestions welcome and we will see what we can do. By the way, I was one of the 3 Vettes running this year at the Pod. Really difficult to see so few Vettes parked in such a big area, but boy, did I have fun on the strip!! Posted my best time so far! Keep the faith, Gentlemen and Happy Christmas to you!

Cheers

Mark

buzbee

CCCUK Member
Well done......... there was myself in the Blue Camaro , my friend Ray in the C6 both from Sussex and yourself ..yep and that was it sadly , my time not great 12.8 118mph but first time against clock in the Camaro , hope better things to come but not against Corvettes it seems

Happy Motoring and hope you had a good Christmas ...

Snetterton

CCCUK regional rep

Cheers

Mark
If there's only a relatively few members interested in a track day, would CCCUK like to join the FORC track evening at Snetterton? I am one of the organisers of the FORC event (we have a Sprint too) in addition to my responsibility as CCCUK Rep for East Anglia. To join forces for this event would help both clubs. No organisation necessary for CCCUK and more chances of break even for FORC

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
If there's only a relatively few members interested in a track day, would CCCUK like to join the FORC track evening at Snetterton? I am one of the organisers of the FORC event (we have a Sprint too) in addition to my responsibility as CCCUK Rep for East Anglia. To join forces for this event would help both clubs. No organisation necessary for CCCUK and more chances of break even for FORC
That sounds very interesting indeed, Neil. Thanks very much for the offer - a really good idea! Would anybody on here also be interested - I think it is July 5th? If we can get a core group, we can then "advertise" on here, on Facebook and in Vette News in due course for more [although I don't expect a rush....!] I had real fun both times I have driven at Snetterton!! (y)

Snetterton

CCCUK regional rep
That sounds very interesting indeed, Neil. Thanks very much for the offer - a really good idea! Would anybody on here also be interested - I think it is July 5th? If we can get a core group, we can then "advertise" on here, on Facebook and in Vette News in due course for more [although I don't expect a rush....!] I had real fun both times I have driven at Snetterton!! (y)
Not sure date has been finalised, as negotiations are on going with Javelin and Snetterton. We should know shortly. Snetterton are being a bit difficult this year, there has been a change of Circuit Manager

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
A joint Snetterton circuit session sounds good for the club. Alas, that's a 10 hour round trip for me. Anyone up for Dakota / Smeatharpe Raceway? :ROFLMAO: