New Battery

Mickeywick

CCCUK Member
I have a 1977 C3.
The battery has died.
The one I have at the moment is a Numax Premium 12v 60Ah 75-550 (EN).
Is this a good battery? Should I get a more powerful one?
What does (EN) mean ?
Also - one other thing :) - should I leave the battery on trickle charge most of the time?
Does it harm the battery?

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Very important to keep a liitle used classic car battery on permanet hook up to prevent battery from de grading . Buy a good quality self regulating battery conditioner and leave it on all the time the car is not in use .

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Do not know if you're using a top or side posts, but I would not go less than 600 CCA, best 800 CCA

Always best to keep a battery tender hooked up to the battery when not in use as it keeps the plates of
battery cells cleaner
The battery in my C5 is 18 years old, the car only has 35,000 miles on it, so it sits for months at a time and starts up
on first try with that battery
My 1993 Caddy also on a tender was 14 year sold before changing it due to 100 F deg Texas weather

An example of going with a group 75 or 78 battery

Group 75 & 78

group7578.jpg

Mickeywick

CCCUK Member
Thanks to all for your helpful replies - much appreciated.
BTW - what does CCA mean ?
One other thing - I can't see how to get the old battery out of the car - it won't move so it's obviously screwed down somewhere.
It's a 1977 C3.
Cheers,
MIke

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I have Optima red tops in mine which have been great and also come with side and top posts. A negative isolator prevents any drain. They have a hold down bracket that you'll need to remove (I assume '77's have one anyway?)

sublimemike

Well-known user
Tanya have excellent customer service . Mine failed after 2 years and 8 months , was on a 3 year warranty. Sent it back and was replaced with a new one no quibble.

Alexm

CCCUK Member
Don’t give up on a dead battery especially anything part or full gel.
A gel battery will take a minimum of 48 hrs to take a decent charge.( works both ways, holds charge back from too much use / draw when required but also takes longer to take charge)
Trickle charger is a good way to keep topping up.
BMW and Mercedes now fitting GM (glass mat) batts which don’t have any gel or liquid) but won’t take a charge from normal charger as too quick, but will take a slow charge from a trickle charger over a much longer period.