New here

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
Hi, I'm Pete from Broughty Ferry and I've just had a 2001 C5 delivered after looking for one for a while. The car has only done 31,000 miles and is in extremely good order. When I bought it, I knew it had an ABS light and Traction light on that the owner reckoned was a tyre pressure sensor (only came on after new wheels and tyres fitted - 20 inch size), but having checked the codes they are C1214 and C1288 which points I think to the BCM. I have an electrical savvy mate that should be able to re solder it for me, but it may require a relay, so if it does, where do I obtain one, and/or should this be replaced as a matter of course? I'm not new to LS engines as I have a Morris Minor and a 1953 Chevy Bel air with them fitted, but am unfamiliar with Corvettes - at present.

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• cor13.jpg
    cor13.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 7
  • co11.jpg
    co11.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 7

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I have replaced this relay several times, common failure for the ETBCM and same relay used in other controllers
Untitled-1.jpg

Best is to drain some coolant so that upper radiator hose is moved out of the way, might be a good time then
to totally drain and replace with new water and anti-freeze

If you cannot buy these in your country here is a vendor here in USA, only $1.50 each but since they are used in other controllers
be wise to get 10 of them for like $13

GM Relays

When you break the ETBCM case down, you might have to pry it apart once the screws are taken off as there is like sticky sealant inside
Clean that away from the 1 relay and desolder. May be a bitch getting it out but it will

Cut the 4 legs down some so new relay will fit from bottom side and then simply re-solder
While there might as well reflow some of the other solder joints as there is not many of them

ebcm4.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
You're Welcome

Again those relays could also be used in other controllers like for doors so hang on to some spares and they may stop making those
since newer GM vehicles use smaller sized ones

Specs to hang on to
RelayGM.jpg

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
I thought I'd update on the EBCM issue. I took off the module and opened it up as per the online instructions - quite straightforward really, and my friend soldered up every connection. I then trial fitted unit to the car and it all worked, so didn't need to replace the relay, but we were prepared to do so if the soldering didn't work. I then sealed up the lid and refitted it to the car and all is good. I bought a new tyre pressure sender from eurovettes and this one works, so all good there too.

Pete

Rich

Administrator
A great result which is one of the reasons this club exists - to share information and help each other. Thank you very much, Pete, for posting this.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
RESULT!

Reminds me of fun and games soldering up the A/C controller in my '99....

Same here
The cost of a HVAC head/controller is crazy, so I decided on taking one apart and found in most cases the surface mount resister packs solder joints are cracked

Before soldering, this is how dim the screen was when I off-board fired the HVAC head up
HVACbefore.jpghvachead3.jpghvachead4.jpgHVACresolderpacks.jpg

Going through the wiring schematic I figured out what was needed to fire up the HVAC head on workbench and can see how mush brighter
the screen is after reflowing the solder joints of the resistor packs I pointed to

Since then I have done this also on other Corvettes and same good results

HVACsoldered.jpg