Nice looking chrome bumper

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just a set of wheels and some contrasting paint accents......that's all that is needed!
It is amazing what a colour does for a car. White has always suited the corvette, it looked/looks good on all generations.
I also like original wheels, but these do look good.
Always liked red interiors with White exterior especially. It just caught my eye.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The gill inserts enhance a 68 , a nice bit of bling. I think quite a few owners did this. I know I would.

Last edited:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Is it sad that my first thought upon seeing the photo was "That exhaust is low, I'd have to be careful with the speed bumps near me" ? :ROFLMAO:

And I have a 68 with the gill inserts in it (see my profile photo). Didn't realise they were N/A for a 1968, as it came from America with them on.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I once saw a 65 or 66 can’t remember which year now with custom made gill inserts. I remember thinking it didn’t look right. They were polished chrome and must have cost a few bob to have done.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Ok guys. I have been enjoying taking the train to work after I sold my daily driver to my brother but because of frequent random disruptions I must get a car because I cannot lose this job it's all I have. I refuse to get a modern car because it sucks the life out of me completely ruining the driving experience so I am just looking for a 1974-1976 under 20k to daily drive but I cannot take on any projects as I do not have any space whatsoever to work on a car. I was looking for a chrome bumper but they are just too expensive for me as I want to save some money to travel the world. I did not like anything on ebay, carandclassic or autotrader as of today. Thank you for your help guys.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
There's a really nice red 74 on autotrader but it has the wrong spoiler and I like the stock designs. Also a nice 78 on ebay but the interior looks worn out and I prefer the flat back window. Does anyone know what happened to the silver on silver 74 that carrot town garage sold a few years ago?

I think I'm set on 1974 because it had a very clean look and cheaper than chrome bumpers. I also love the rear bumper where the tail lights sit inside it and before they added those black bumperettes. Also the fat plastic nose looks sharp and the red circle corvette emblem looks nice. I'll post some examples.

IMG_5390.jpegIMG_5389.jpegIMG_5388.jpeg

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
74 also has the one year only split rear bumper cover. Some like that some don’t. Must admit I do like it.
The little bumperettes do help protect the front nose point. I like them. Some people have them painted body colour so they don’t stand out as much.
A 1974 454ci last of the big blocks sweet. Only downsize is its thirst .
Drinks more fuel than a thirsty camel drinks water 😂😂

James Vette

CCCUK Member
See I don't know why people worry about fuel cost. It's worth every penny! I miss my 71 every single day, that made you feel like a man. And popping that big ass gas cap and flooding the thing with that sweet fuel and smell and the car shaking from the massive engine. That is what life is about. I was born in the wrong generation.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
See I don't know why people worry about fuel cost. It's worth every penny! I miss my 71 every single day, that made you feel like a man. And popping that big ass gas cap and flooding the thing with that sweet fuel and smell and the car shaking from the massive engine. That is what life is about. I was born in the wrong generation.
I'm with you there James. I love driving older cars, and my Corvette, so much more than new cars. Yes new cars are safer in a crash, better on fuel etc, BUT older cars have more character, more raw about the way they drive and feel. Much more exciting in my soul. That and they don't have any of the stupid electronic nannying that new cars have.
The only issues I have with not driving my Corvette all the time isn't really to do with fuel - a) I don't like getting it wet, and b) a C3 doesn't have a lot of storage space in it.

antijam

CCCUK Member
It's worth remembering that all old cars were once new cars when many of their human contemporaries would have been just as scathing about their lack of 'character', 'soul' or 'real car' attributes.
In the 1960's I was in my twenties and the proud owner of a 1948 MG T type. The MG MGB had just been introduced and I and my fellow enthusiast mates were caustic about this 'soft' new interloper. Proper MG's were cars with real character, wind in the hair cars, simple to maintain and thanks to their separate chassis, easy to restore, none of which could be said about the 'B'.

Fast forward to the 90's and I'm the proud owner of a 1974 Chrome bumper MG MGBGT. Bought as a typical 'rot box' I gave it a full rebuild, uprated the engine and suspension and had many years of proper Classic motoring. Had the 'B' changed? No, but I had. Some years later I'd sold the 'B' and was undertaking a full restoration of the T type that I still owned. Largely because of its rotted out wooden body frame, complex interior trim, and coach built panels this was a much more complicated and expensive job than the 'B'. When done I had a car that was much slower than the 'B', was cramped and uncomfortable, had a lousy ride and useless weather protection. But boy, did it have character!

From its introduction I'd always lusted after the early C3 'Vette finally acquiring mine in 2019. I love the car. Would I have loved it in 1971 when it was new? Yes, but for different reasons. I love my 2016 Mustang GT, it's a great modern car. If it's still around in 30 years time, someone else will love it but for quite different reasons. Nostalgia doesn't reside in the car, it resides in the owner.

Roscobbc

When I first became 'motorised', inititally on two wheels in the mid/late 60's seeing an American car was unusual......if you did see one It would probably be a Ford, a Fairlane, Galaxie or Thunderbird. These were all sold here 'new' by a few Ford dealers like Gates of Woodford. A Corvette of any year would never be seen.......it was only when we would drive in to Londons west end that you may see the odd C3 later in the late 60's/early 70's. There were a few C3's that would visit Santa Pod, even compete on the strip. To me a chrome bumper C3 back then was the most beautiful and adventurously styled car I had ever seen, far more so than the E Type's, Aston Martins, Iso's, and other exotics frequenting Londons more exclusive area's......AND the Corvette was produced by an 'ordinary' USA manufacturer using 'ordinary' mechanical parts!
The C3's unique styling, the pointed front without a noticeable 'grille', raised front fenders, kicked-up tail and the total lack of any of the usual odd bits of gaudy chrome that normally were seen on American cars. It looked 20 years ahead of its time. I still think it looks 'ageless' (along with a very limited number of other cars.......like perhaps the Elan Plus 2?)
And now? - I love the fact that it has zero modern driving 'attributes' - you literally drive it by the seat of your pants - its a fairly crude ride, certainly by todays standards, but you feel everything that going-on beneath you - no ABS, no traction control (OK, so it has a great LSD) - minimal creature comforts - its noisy - its hot in summer - its just 'you' and the car - a raw and visceral experience - that wonderful close ratio 'box that allows you to wind it up in each gear..........or short-shift from 1st to 3rd, even 1st to 4th. OK, so mine has more hp and more torque than most of 'todays' ill named Supercars but a similar experience is still to be had with less powerful Vettes.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
It's worth remembering that all old cars were once new cars when many of their human contemporaries would have been just as scathing about their lack of 'character', 'soul' or 'real car' attributes.
This is very true indeed. And I felt the same when I got my FTO. It seemed to "soft", quiet, and not as edgy as my 1.9 Pug 205 GTi I had at the time. Nowadays my FTO feels like a rabid squirrel darting around everywhere and feeling so alive. Like you said, I've changed in the 20 years I've had it.

Though I can't see us in the future looking fondly back on cars with enforced nannying systems, installed allegedly for safety reasons, that actually in the real world attempt to kill you. I call forth exhibit one - "lane assist". In new cars (2023 onwards?) I'm told its now mandatory on at startup for NCAP 5 star safety ratings or whatever, but in reality it makes the car not fun to drive, and tries to kill you at every opportune moment it can. Thankfully at the moment you can turn it off after system start up, but it'll come back on every single time you start it.... so you have to remember (I suspect that "OFF" button will be removed at some point too). I have often wondered the "legal issue" of these nannying devices - if the lane assist pulls me into oncoming traffic, hedges, lorries etc (its done all and more so far) and I fail to catch it in time - then who is legally responsible for the accident? Me because I'm the driver, or the car manufacturer because their car decided "for a laugh" to drag me into oncoming traffic? I know it'll get blamed on me, which is unfair as it wasn't me at fault.

I personally hate all the nannying, as it really ruins the soul of the car. Apart from trying to kill me, driving with lane assist on seems to make the car feel like its got less traction, a bit like being on a slippery surface, and un-nerving when going around corners as it feels like its gonna skate right off the road. I love being in (now) older cars that don't have any nannying, always have, even when they were brand new.

Anyway, apologies for the rant - just explaining why I prefer now older cars to drive, even when they were new, due to lack of nannying. :)