Nice looking chrome bumper

Roscobbc

And what about the effectiveness of ABS? - no doubt a superb device most of the time (and for most drivers......especially those inexperienced in handling 'extreme' situations)........in an 'emergency' situation requiring instant braking reaction ABS's value is unquestionable...........or is it in certain situations? - what about braking hard on a shingled, gravelled, oily or icy road surface?..........due to the lack of tyre adhesion the ABS does its job but fails to slow you........Automatic transmissions.........some really great 8 and 10 speed 'boxes out there now.......better MPG's, improved 0-60's and outperforming most equivalent cars with manual transmissions.......but what about when it all goes wrong? - the driver does a smoky burnout with both rear wheels spinning like crazy, cars starts to 'get out of shape', and driver backs off the gas pedal.......but its too late, far too late, the 'mass' of the torque converter and drivetrain still is still spinning and the delaying flywheel effect of all that 'mass' frequently sends the vehicle off the road!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I think Chevrolet did a pretty good job of going from traditional chrome bumpers to impact adsorbing bumpers. OK it did take them two model years to do, but both examples looked good once done. The 1973 is obviously a stand alone year as it has chrome rear and the new urethane plastic nose.
Some would argue that the 1974 is also a stand alone year as the all new urethane rear bumper is a two piece design which was only for 1974.
Chrome was out as the new 5mph crash regulations came in.
The Chevrolet corvette still looked good despite the new regulations.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
IMG_5396.jpegIMG_5397.jpegIMG_5398.jpegIMG_5399.jpegIMG_5400.jpegIMG_5401.jpeg

The plastic bumper vettes always look best in person but I think the photographers did a good job on these examples. And in all honestly it's only because we are obsessed with these cars that we notice things like the split rear bumper when the general public would never notice. The first corvette I saw in person was a 76 and I thought it was the most stunning car ever until I learned of the chrome ones. Comparison is the thief of joy??

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Possibly the most famous 1973 corvette is the one used in the TV series The Magician starring Bill Bixby. A extremely wealthy magician with his own plane, fabulous mansion, lovely cars whose hobby is solving crimes. His drive throughout the series was a 1973 corvette coupe in white with the California plate SPIRIT.
IMG_1974.jpegIMG_1975.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Looks good in silver, with a red interior it would be even better.
Looking at the rear, that 2 piece bumper does look odd, why did they do it in 2 pieces? Yes it’s factory correct, and I personally don’t mind it, but it just seems strange.