Nicks C5 Custom Tuning Process

What speed will Keith & Nick do in testing his custom tune ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%

Votes: 2 40.0%

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
With Keith of Eurovettes back in the UK after being in the USA, CCCUK member Nick with his C5 Corvette is doing a long drive
to meet up with Keith to work together as I in the USA custom tune the engine and A4 tranny

Do you think they have what it takes to make this Corvette make my proud of their drive style to get me the OBD-II data to dial the performance tune in :)

Speed in MPH

Last edited:

BobbyV8

CCCUK Member
With Keith of Eurovettes back in the UK after being in the USA, CCCUK member Nick with his C5 Corvette is doing a long drive
to meet up with Keith to work together as I in the USA custom tune the engine and A4 tranny

Do you think they have what it takes to make this Corvette make my proud of their drive style to get me the OBD-II data to dial the performance tune in :)
I'm sure they will. Be good to see the results 👍

Roscobbc

Will be looking forward to seeing the results of this ............shame that some of us with earier cars arn't able to change cams and carbs etc 'on line' to get that extra bit of performance......go fo it fella's!

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Keith and Nick should be meeting up next week, so I can remotely do the custom tuning
I suggested after Nick sent me a photo of the 3rd party aircleaner setup to clean the filters, MAF, throttlebody and check for any air leaks before tuning

Nick did so and emailed me :

Nickcrapfilters.jpg

Update:
  1. The air filters were partly blocked
  2. The MAF was lined with gunk
  3. And the band around the bridge and MAF had been overtightened - crimping the red rubber molding
  4. Which had to be warmed and pressed out to resume a normal airtight fit!!
So you were dead right to insist they were cleaned
And I’ll be sure to do that regularly.

ATB
Nick

I responded back :

On 27 May 2023, at 20:12, Teamzr1 wrote:

Nick glad you did the cleanup because if I had tuned it to what the scanner data was reported with that dirty crap
affecting your air and fuel and then when you did do the cleaning the tune would off and need to re-tweak it

You should post your findings on your Corvette forum, so others can learn from you
Beyond me why people do not do the basic cleaning to maintain the engine running good as doing so assures the PCM to correctly command the fuel injectors for a proper AFR.
The problem with this type of filters is that have to be lightly oiled

Most people spray too much oil on and that oil is pushed on to the MAF and cause it to report to the PCM incorrect airmass which means PCM is commanding wrong AFR to engine
Worse is the unmetered airmass from that coupler as the MAF reports to PCM what the airmass is BUT the unmetered air is after the MAF, thus PCM is lied to even by the O2 sensors seeing high amount of unmetered airmass

This is a reason GM will not use these types of filters as they know the vehicle owners will not maintain the filters or oil them correctly

I hope that heat used properly sealed that coupler to airbridge as you want no airleaks after the MAF

On another note that 3rd party dual aircleaner is a POS, you have to opposing airstreams that cause air to collide and cause swirling air
that confuses the MAF and being it is installed up high in engine bay caused hot crap air into the cylinders for a crap hot charge to the cylinders
Best performance I would suggest down the road getting a better design

This give Nick's C5s PCM to relearn now having clean and proper airmass with the 2 plus hours drive to Keith's business for our tuning to get done

Notice for my 99 C5 I made a cold airbox, this sealed all engine bay heated air from getting pulled in the intake and cut a small slot in the plastic radiator shroud, so now all air comes from the colder air under the car, so my air is no hotter than what the weather is and great charge to cylinders
Look closely to see my CAI which was made of fiberglass, so it does not heat up as much as metal

eb2.jpg

Nickerbocker Glory

CCCUK Member

Speed in MPH
I’ll do a post after we’ve done the Tune JR
Should be very interesting :)

The ‘Guess the Speed Achieved' challenge is a bit of fun but inherently problematic.
At the risk of sounding like a waxer / wazer, I think I can speak for Keith too when I say it would be a shame for him to lose his licence for a year just to make you proud of us both 🤔 It's an automatic ban if busted for speeding over 100 mph over here.

I’m sure he’ll use a stretch of road that is safe and run through the auto-box gears with maximum revs (WOT) sufficient to provide you with the necessary data to enable you to do the tune. I did take a special driving course over three days on an aerodrome 45 years ago when I was lucky enough purchase a 930 Turbo. The Instructor was an ex-racing driver and he could scare the pants off me in a heartbeat - but I learned a lot. Maybe Keith has a deserted old aerodrome up his sleeve ....

On the subject of safety, I’ve had another thought: Because my C5 has such low mileage, the tyres are 7 years old but with only 3000 miles on them the tread is still very good. However, the surface of the rubber has slightly deteriorated with crazed tiny cracks. Clearly not an MOT failure so presumably good for hard acceleration (no problem so far) - even up to 140mph on an aerodrome strip?