No Classic car event in the south Ulez restriction start to bite

GiuG

CCCUK Member
That it means that in a while I can't get out from my home with the Vette, unless I have home in far countryside?
But the classic cars supposed no to be effected, cause is an historical vehicle, right?

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Cars that were manufactured more than 40 years ago will be unaffected - so manufactured currently before 1982 on a 'rolling' basis.

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Cars that were manufactured more than 40 years ago will be unaffected - so manufactured currently before 1982 on a 'rolling' basis.
Yes you're absolutely right, hopefully everything stays like you say, even in the article is clear that there is pressure on old cars event, fingers cross

Roscobbc

Unfortunately irrespective of the 'rolling' 40 year rule for 'Historic' vehicles there will be many far newer 'collectible' (and arguably 'cleaner') cars that will be caught in 'the trap' and have to pay the respective charges. Effectively this will exclude many people living within and adjacent to the M25 borders from economically running non-compliant, post 40 y/o cars. We mustn't forget Bristol, Brighton and other significant towns and cities that perhaps are run by the 'lefty/greenie' types with their own versions of ULEZ. Ultimately we will see the total demise of city and town residents owning historic vehicles and an exodus of car enthusiasts moving to rural locations in an attempt to 'enjoy' their hobby.

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
Can't they just start it outside London? If the £12.50 is really that big an issue for starting it inside the ULEZ then just start the run outside it. Those coming through will be paying it anyway I'd assume or just run round the M25.

I think the parking at the other end is a much bigger issue than the ULEZ for it, Brighton is general a pain to drive into on any weekend.

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Unfortunately irrespective of the 'rolling' 40 year rule for 'Historic' vehicles there will be many far newer 'collectible' (and arguably 'cleaner') cars that will be caught in 'the trap' and have to pay the respective charges. Effectively this will exclude many people living within and adjacent to the M25 borders from economically running non-compliant, post 40 y/o cars. We mustn't forget Bristol, Brighton and other significant towns and cities that perhaps are run by the 'lefty/greenie' types with their own versions of ULEZ. Ultimately we will see the total demise of city and town residents owning historic vehicles and an exodus of car enthusiasts moving to rural locations in an attempt to 'enjoy' their hobby.
Well... I'm seeing coming, this short article speaks the plan after the ULEZ expansion, in nearly future no matter what vehicle you using the fee will be based on the mileage, you do on the road. Man there is no way to stop these people, I'm green too, but this way is f**** ridiculous, making difficult for people go around enjoy the country unless they spend lots of money, is criminal, is a kind of bribe... you want to have fun you need to pay. In the past the day ride was the cheaper way to have fun. But hey, if you have an electric car you're safe, for now, because I don't see the way, they're going to renounce to the £4500 per person they plan to harvest. In the end make sense, you pick up your car you pay the same amount to commute with publics service.... plus fuel.

this is the article
MSN

Last edited:

Roscobbc

There is a much bigger unspoken picture here relating to ULEZ and PPM. Interesting that the peoples 'champion' Starmer only a couple of weeks ago came out on record saying that the ULEZ expansion was unfair (or words to that effect)........now, or just a few days ago he has turned 180 degrees and is on record saying that ULEZ is a good idea for cleaning-up London (or words to that effect).......so Starmer can't even get himself together with consistant comment. And if you think that our current Tory incumbents are going to overturn things..........think again. They'll want to see Khan's Pay Per Mile plans actually happen. It will serve as a pilot scheme that can eventually be used across the country. It dosen't matter if Khan's plans go all wrong or cost more.......HMG isn't paying for it - they'll have no responsibility for it.......we, the Londoners, visitors, workers, traders and businesses are paying for it........do we think it will remain at £12.50 per day? No! - once established it will increase incrementally.
Most of you reading this will think perhaps off on a rants.......yes, I am! - just remember what happening in London and other major cities in the UK will eventually roll-out to all areas of the UK.......and Pay Per Mile is potentially likely to cost rural dwellers far more pro rata than townies.

Last edited:

phild

CCCUK Member
There is a much bigger unspoken picture here relating to ULEZ and PPM. Interesting that the peoples 'champion' only a couple of weeks ago came out on record saying that the ULEZ expansion was unfair (or words to that effect)........now, or just a few days ago he has turned 180 degrees and is on record saying that ULEZ is a good idea for cleaning-up London (or words to that effect).......so Starmer can't even get himself together with consistant comment. And if you thing that our current Tory incumbents are going to overturn things..........think again. They'll want to see Khan's Pay Per Mile plans actually happen. It will serve as a pilot scheme than casn be used across the country. It dosen't matter if Khan's plans go all wrong or cost more.......HMG isn't paying for it - they'll have no responsibility for it.......we, the Londoners, visitors, workers, traders and businesses are paying for it........do we think it will remain at £12.50 per day? No! - once established it will increase.
Most of you reading this will think I'l off on one of my rants.......I am! - just remember what happening in London and other major cities will eventually roll-out to all areas of the UK.......and Pay Per Mile is likely to cost rural dwellers far more pro rata than townies.

I do wish it was just a rant but I reckon you're correct., its just a matter of time. Control of the people is what this and other initiatives, think CBDC's for example, is, ultimately, what its all about apart from the obvious revenue generation..

Roscobbc

I do wish it was just a rant but I reckon you're correct., its just a matter of time. Control of the people is what this and other initiatives, think CBDC's for example, is, ultimately, what its all about apart from the obvious revenue generation..
Out population is out of control in terms of numbers of inhabitants in populated areas.......plenty of reasons for that which are subject of differing, controversial discussions. HMG wants back the control of the people much as it would have 60/70+ years ago.

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
There is a much bigger unspoken picture here relating to ULEZ and PPM. Interesting that the peoples 'champion' Starmer only a couple of weeks ago came out on record saying that the ULEZ expansion was unfair (or words to that effect)........now, or just a few days ago he has turned 180 degrees and is on record saying that ULEZ is a good idea for cleaning-up London (or words to that effect).......so Starmer can't even get himself together with consistant comment. And if you think that our current Tory incumbents are going to overturn things..........think again. They'll want to see Khan's Pay Per Mile plans actually happen. It will serve as a pilot scheme that can eventually be used across the country. It dosen't matter if Khan's plans go all wrong or cost more.......HMG isn't paying for it - they'll have no responsibility for it.......we, the Londoners, visitors, workers, traders and businesses are paying for it........do we think it will remain at £12.50 per day? No! - once established it will increase incrementally.
Most of you reading this will think perhaps off on a rants.......yes, I am! - just remember what happening in London and other major cities in the UK will eventually roll-out to all areas of the UK.......and Pay Per Mile is potentially likely to cost rural dwellers far more pro rata than townies.
Completely agree with all of this, my biggest issue though is it's not just "London" anymore with the extension. I live in Kent and whilst my house isn't in it, if I want to go to my nearest Cinema then I'll have to pay if the extension goes ahead......I already pay road tax to drive, I pay council tax to live in my house, why should I have to pay AGAIN to pop down the road? (public transport isn't an option this far out unless I want the journey to take 3 times as long).

Roscobbc

I'm kinda ok where we live (to a degree)....live within a London Boro', so was certainly going to be affected with my sub £2k banger diesel bought later last year. Less than 10 days after buying it (to replace what would have been a compliant petrol car) ULEZ was announced. Far from happy spending quite a few £K's on a decent compliant city car (that money could have gone on my C3). TBH our public transport network here is particularly good and I was at one stage using the Vette for our local shopping runs in-between sourcing daily drivers. TBH using that in winter was too much of a faff trying to get the engine warmed through.

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
The reality is it won't affect me enough to ever change what I drive, I'll just stump up if/when I need to. I don't drive for work so it'd be very rare (maybe twice a month) that I'd need to go into the ULEZ.

It's people who need to drive for work it's hitting hardest. A friend of mine who's a builder lives close to me so outside the proposed expansion but as most of his work will now be in it he's having to replace his car AND van at basically the same time. Obviously due to demand van prices are through the roof right now so this will hit him really hard.