North Weald Driving Day

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Hi There.
I have a ticket booked and paid for the Lotus on Track Driving day at North Weald 18th September. Due to work commitments I am unable to attend. There are a few Corvettes going I believe. If anyone wants my ticket they can have it, I don't know if there are any costs involved in changing name across but the ticket I don't want anything for. I would just be happy for someone to enjoy the day. Let me know if interested. Adam

Roscobbc

Yes, as Barry says a nice generous offer - ordinarily I'd be tempted myself but have a water pump issue and not sure if I can fix it in time........

Roscobbc

Hi Adam - it gives me a week to sort my car out - it'll be nice to join the other Essex guys and others in my Vette - can I have it please?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Hi Adam - it gives me a week to sort my car out - it'll be nice to join the other Essex guys and others in my Vette - can I have it please?
Sounds like there needs to be an article in Vette News soon about an overpowered (?) white C3 doing that track day. Would be superb to see your car go around there :)

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Article in Vette News - I want to see the Video of our ex-Chairman "giving it some" as they say!
I have "Liked" your post, but there is not enough "Like" in the world that I can give you for my agreement with your statement :)

I must confess, I'm quite enamoured with Ross' car and the sheer big blockness of it all. I'd love an engine like that in my 68 C3 too, but time and money...

Roscobbc

"Haven’t checked yet but is it now likely this will be off due to the new restrictions coming into force?"

Yes - as its a 'private' event - even if organisers decided to continue there is a risk of a £100 fine per person present if police attend..........

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
"Haven’t checked yet but is it now likely this will be off due to the new restrictions coming into force?"

Yes - as its a 'private' event - even if organisers decided to continue there is a risk of a £100 fine per person present if police attend..........
So, sort the water pump and do it alone with somebody videoing it - so we can all share!

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
I don't see why it should be off or there be any issue of fines etc. This is a business event run by a company for a fee which we have each paid. It could reasonably be described as a training day. Business' are exempt as long as they follow COVID guidelines. Having been to two of these before, I expect that the briefing will be carried out in the open air/with appropriate separation etc and, as long as groups don't exceed 6 people for chats between runs etc, I can't see the problem. Besides, for the actual runs, you are in your own car anyway. There is nothing currently on either the Lotus on Track site or the Car Limits [the company who actually runs it] site to indicate otherwise.

Glad you are joining us Ross - hopefully should be fun as usual. I am bringing my camera for Vette News and maybe I can take some video too!

Cheers

Mark

Roscobbc

I've been too busy doing other things unfortunately to be able to sort the car out this weekend - I won't have the time now before Friday to do this (and check everything else out prior) - going to have to 'pass' on the kind offer from member Adam 'Adtheman' - suggest anyone else interested should make contact with Andy Maskery, Essex rep.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
How did the day go? i got so mixed up with work i completely forgot about the day, Nobody else came forward to claim the ticket i had so in the end i just let it go. Did everyone finish up without hitch?

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Ad, your ticket was gratefully claimed last minute by Greg in his C4 convertible.
It was a fantastic day, such a shame you couldn't make it but I'm sure we'll do it again next year.
I'll post up some photos later.

Fishy Dave

CCCUK Member
Copied from the CCCUK Facebook group: A good day, with perfect weather, great company (seven Corvette's and owners), we even experienced a bit of sun/windburn. This was the third time the club has taken part in an organised handling day at North Weald airfield, the perfect opportunity to stretch the legs of our V8's in safety. I had three timed runs, all 1 minute 9 seconds, good enough to take the top three times of the day, chuffed that the high mileage Vette did so well against Caterham's, Lotus's, Porsche and a McLaren.
I was chuffed to get to drive Andy's beautiful Corvette C3, what a difference from my car, a proper classic, it even smells good! It's not often I've driven a car that's older than me and with just the briefest of instructions that included it was a bit reluctant to select 2nd gear I was off. I was impressed with the power, even if I couldn't find 2nd, the brakes were strong enough to lock the wheels and it was happy to slide a little too, thanks Andy, you were very trusting.

Andy drove my C6, we both agreed the cars were like chalk and cheese. All the Corvette's put up a good show, impressive considering the variety of driving experience, age of cars and quality (or lack of) of tyres when compared to the semi-click shod Caterham's and Lotus. It's unusual to see two C4 ZR1 together in the UK, let alone two on track; both sounded brilliant.
Mark Eaton is well on the slippery slope of mild track modifications. Since the last time I saw his C5 it's got some better brake pads, C6 Z51 sway bars and Bilsteins. I could see the difference in the handling from trackside, the car having loss body roll and less sliding too.
🙂
I'm already looking forward to the next time we organise another of these events.The video is from one of my runs:

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Congrats to Dave for doing us proud and showing that a C6 Corvette in his expert hands can beat an array of supercars and lightweight sportscars.

I was more than happy for Dave to drive my car and very interested to see what he could do with it!
As feared, 2nd gear was elusive, so driving most of the lap in 3rd gear he still posted a time over two seconds faster than I could manage. That is quite incredible seeing as this was the first time he'd driven the car so had no idea how it was going to stop or handle as he charged into the first corner!

Dave very kindly let me have a drive of his very well sorted C6 which was a great experience. His car felt so quick and sharp in acceleration braking and cornering - very impressive.

A thoroughly enjoyable day.

IMG_2460.JPGIMG_2457.JPGIMG_2461.JPGIMG_2484.JPG

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Hi Ad, your ticket was gratefully claimed last minute by Greg in his C4 convertible.
It was a fantastic day, such a shame you couldn't make it but I'm sure we'll do it again next year.
I'll post up some photos later.
Excellent, glad someone made use of it. Looks like you had a lot of fun.