Ooops!

antijam

CCCUK Member
It’s very easily done. At least it wasn’t too bad. Could have been worse.
Yes, it should be a fairly straightforward repair. I thought at first glance it was just a scrape but a long piece of the wheelarch flare has actually been split through and is hanging off by about 10mm so its going to need some reinforcing glass mat behind to hold it back in place and I'll need to check carefully for any gel coat cracks further into the wing.

crack.jpg
Hey ho - life wouldn't be fun without the occasional disaster would it? ;)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Yes, it should be a fairly straightforward repair. I thought at first glance it was just a scrape but a long piece of the wheelarch flare has actually been split through and is hanging off by about 10mm so its going to need some reinforcing glass mat behind to hold it back in place and I'll need to check carefully for any gel coat cracks further into the wing.

View attachment 21337
Hey ho - life wouldn't be fun without the occasional disaster would it? ;)
That looks a lot worse than it did in your previous long shot.

antijam

CCCUK Member
'Wound' repaired......

both.jpg

...and I had my bonnet resprayed at the same time to remove evidence of severe under-bonnet heat at some time in its past.

P1370901.JPG

In the meantime I've got some 'shorty' header plugs to fit....

P1370897.JPG

The difference in length isn't that great.....

P1370898.JPG

... but enough to make fitting the leads much easier and help stop heat damage to the boots. We''ll see.

antijam

CCCUK Member
Thank you James. When I bought the car just over four years ago it was definitely a 'fifteen foot' car. Jobs I've tackled in the intervening years brought it down to a ten footer and with this last touch-up I think I can fairly say it's now a six footer. To get it any closer it needs a full respray and that's not money I'm prepared to put into it - it'd never be reflected in the resale value, and a respray would simply highlight the fact that it would then benefit from a full interior retrim which would inflate the cost still further. The previous classic restorations I've tackled have been from the ground up, literally everything was overhauled or replaced. I could justify the cost - and it was significant - because I'd owned the cars for around 50 years and the original purchase price had been amortised years ago. With the Corvette a full restoration was never on the cards and because I want to enjoy driving it, getting it to a state of reliability and presentable appearance is all I intend to do. I drove it back from the paintshop today through the mud and the rain without qualm, it wears its age with pride. This year will be about driving. :)(y)

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
This year will be about driving. :)(y)

After you've checked the DOT on them tyres (I have no affiliation with any tyre manufacturers or suppliers :D ) there was a pic of a tyre blow out on a C3 floating about recently and the damage was massive.. I had the same Eagle GT2's and was gutted to have to replace them but they were 2008 and looked fine but they were a ticking bomb.

20170617_231306.jpg

Good looking repair (y)

antijam

CCCUK Member
After you've checked the DOT on them tyres (I have no affiliation with any tyre manufacturers or suppliers :D ) there was a pic of a tyre blow out on a C3 floating about recently and the damage was massive.. I had the same Eagle GT2's and was gutted to have to replace them but they were 2008 and looked fine but they were a ticking bomb.
Point taken. (y)

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
I need four new tyres - 255x60x15. Any recommendations for something decent at the best price?
BFGoodrich at Northants Tyres are about a grand :eek:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
255's all round Bill?

Old Town have some a bit cheaper. I went away from RWL tyres due to the browning issue

Old Town Tyres 1.PNG

Attachments

• Old Town Tyres.PNG
    Old Town Tyres.PNG
    254.5 KB · Views: 2

antijam

CCCUK Member
Thank you Mr Cricket - your prods finally made me get up the energy to check the date on my GT 2's. I'd been putting it off mainly because Goodyear rather sneakily only put the full date code on the inner face of the tyre and a wheel has to come off to check it. I think RWL GT2's have been out of production for some time and when I finally got one off the date was, like yours, 2008. They have almost new tread but one front tyre is rather ominously already starting to go out of shape and it's definitely time to bite the bullet and get replacements. So, I've ordered four new 215/70 R15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A RWL (I'm taking a chance on the browning issue) tyres. The car is currently wearing 225/70 R15's but these are larger than the original F70 -15 bias ply's; the 215's are nearer the original rolling radius and I don't drive in a manner that needs more rubber on the road. Just keeping my fingers crossed that nothing goes bang before the new ones arrive. 🤞

Last edited: