Paint Problem

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
My 1981 developed exactly the same problem on the front wings, though not quite as bad as yours judging by your photos. I first noticed it in about October/November. Its good to know what it is and im pleased to hear that its most noticeable under strip lights and that it should settle down in the summer as i have no plans for a respray any time soon.

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
" It was stored outside with a cover on it (eek:eek:"
I've discovered car covers, even the best breathable one are not so good. Had one on wife's Z4 for a week during quite a lot of rain. Good fit, strapped down etc, seemed to be doing the job, until we removed it. Condensation must have crept up underneath, bonnet & wings wringing wet, luckily no damage on the factory paint. IMHO better without, at least the sun & wind dry it out at some point.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
That doesn't look a good paint job - even the surface that doesn't appear to have blistering seems to have an impressive orange peel effect. It looks as if the guy who did the respray didn't have a dryer on his compressor and was either in a hurry or inexperienced. Hopefully your next respray will achieve a better result.
Yes, that is awful! When you zoom in I think the “orange peel” is actually blistering . Will have to go back to gel coat and completely start again. It will need etch priming before normal priming and painting.
From experience dont accept an isolator as a remedy in place of stripping . 👍

RAWZA

CCCUK Member
new paint eventually got right red.

Attachments

• newpaint4.jpg
    newpaint4.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 14
  • newpaint5.jpg
    newpaint5.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 10
  • newpaint3.jpg