Park brake adjustment - which way to turn the star adjuster?

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Er, as title

None of the tech manuals identify which way to turn the star adjuster to tighten the park brake. Which is pretty stupid, if you ask me. Oh, you didn't? Fair do.

Grateful if anybody can save me removing the wheels repeatedly to establish this by trial and error. Or, normally in my case, error and error.

Thank you

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Thanks matey. Really appreciate your input.

In fact, I watched that (AFTER changing the disc pads - error!), although I didn't think much of his presentation, tbh. However, the one thing he got correct - in the text at the bottom of the screen - is CLOCKWISE to expand the brake shoes. He didn't seem to know at all that there is a locking tang which you can hold away from the adjuster in order to release it for turning. I got there eventually.

Thanks agin.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I thought if I recall that to adjust for that you keep pulling the handle all the way up hard and release
and keep doing until adjusted ?

JetJock

CCCUK Member
I don't believe that does anything to adjust the actual park brake shoes in the drum at all. It only adjusts slack in the cables, or so I believe. I use the park brake all the time, and the car failed annual test on poor park brake performance. I think I've got it set up now, though.