Performance Cam

BlueCovette04

CCCUK Member
Hi All,
I'm new to the site and this my first post. I'd love to fit a performance cam however, having spoken to a number of garages up and down the country, there isn't anyone that would take the job on. It's not so much the install but more the tuning as no one has the software to do it. Any ideas on who might be able to help. If not then I'll save my money and buy heads a H pipe😏🇬🇧

BlueCovette04

CCCUK Member
Excellent, thank you for your help with this. I wasn't completely sure I was allowed to enquire through the group and hope I've not broken the rules already😬

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi All,
I'm new to the site and this my first post. I'd love to fit a performance cam however, having spoken to a number of garages up and down the country, there isn't anyone that would take the job on. It's not so much the install but more the tuning as no one has the software to do it. Any ideas on who might be able to help. If not then I'll save my money and buy heads a H pipe😏🇬🇧
A lumpy high performance cam will make the car less flexible to drive under normal road driving conditions . It depends what you want to use the car for .

BlueCovette04

CCCUK Member
Hello, yeah I guess it's got to be practical and at the moment I'm getting second thoughts, only because of the logistics, cost and install. I don't want to do all that and then wish I hadn't bothered. Basically, I've really got to give it a bit thought. I only drive the car occasionally as I'm busy with the house but I just love the sound a Cam makes.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Hi All,

H pipe just changes the exhaust sound, if wanting torque gain you want an X-Pipe and as close to the collectors as possible

eh5.jpg

If you have not worked on LSx engine before, keep in mind the bolt for the crank pulley is a torque to yield and cannot be reused so need a new one and being the bolt is long you will need to lower the steering rack and slide it left to get enough clearing to get that bolt out and new one in
Also, the lifters sit on baskets, and if not taking heads off to do the CAM swap you need strong magnets on rods that from the bottom of the heads to each lifter to hold them up just in case a lifter falls out of its baskets and end up in the bottom of the oil pan :(

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Hello, yeah I guess it's got to be practical and at the moment I'm getting second thoughts, only because of the logistics, cost and install. I don't want to do all that and then wish I hadn't bothered. Basically, I've really got to give it a bit thought. I only drive the car occasionally as I'm busy with the house but I just love the sound a Cam makes.

Depending on which tranny your C5 has, have to consider the LSA of CAM
Being the PCM commands how the engine functions, it relies on what the MAP output is,
If wanting street, I would not go lower than a 114 LSA for auto tranny and 112 LSA for manual tranny

You can get about 30 flywheel HP and better low to mid-range torque just with a custom tune of PCM
and if auto tranny to speed up and tighten up auto shift points

BlueCovette04

CCCUK Member
Hello, OK, I spoke with Brian Tooley yesterday and he's saying the new LS3 stage 1 v2! I've just been speaking with Keith at Eurovettes and he's putting me in touch with Warren ar Top Cats. Seriously, I'm warn out already and that's just from trying to find the best route to go down. I do appreciate your input - thank you.

BlueCovette04

CCCUK Member
From what I'm being told it's a new cam for the LS3 engine, it's a stage 1 version 2?!🤔. Apparently Brian Tooley has it in his Z06 and loves it!