Pop up headlights won’t pop up

My headlights won’t pop up
All the lights work as they should
If I put 12 v to the motors they spin one way when I reverse it they spin the other way
If I leave the left lamp connected and add 12 v the light lifts perfectly if I reverse it it goes down perfectly
I bought a Headlight Actuator Relay Lamp Control Module OEM thinking this would solve the problem but it has made no difference
Anyone have any ideas as to what can cause this or tests I can do to see if I can locate the problem ?
Thanks Pete

Custom exotics

Well-known user
If the car is not used often it could be the column switch we had a issue that the rear lights wouldn't turn on turnout it was column switch fingers not making the circuit try gently banging the steering column whilst rotating the light switch if your lights start to rotate you know you have issue there we ended up replacing out the switch as there pretty complicated inside 😉

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
When you're switching them on via the stalk, I'm assuming you don't hear anything from the motors at all then? How's the voltage on your battery? It could be the stalk as above, I swapped mine a while ago when having issues with the rear lights. The opposite problem of yours though, headlights were working but no rears.

Sounds as though the motors aren't getting the required voltage either way so work your way back, check the obvious stuff like fuses/relays etc back to the stalk.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The stalk comes apart and as you see in one I worked on
there are contacts and a cam style switch
Use a contacts or electronics cleaner on both halves and make sure the cam is clean
Make sure there are no burnt spots on tips of contacts and none are bent open

Test all functions before installing unit again to steering column

turnsignal.jpgtsignal.jpg

Last edited:

oelarse

Well-known user
I prefer to locate the the failing compont using a multimeter /scope/scanner before replacing or repairing anything .
I recommed measuring voltages on the headlight module located below the passenger headlight.
Measure if you get 12volt on the A terminal of headlight module from D3:C2 on headlight switch schematic .
Opening and closing of the headlights are acheived by altering the polarity A and the C voltage on the module when doors are opening or closing :)
You don't metioned the year of your cars so I attach drawings of the 2000 mod which should be similar to most years

location of module.jpg

headlight switch.jpg

headlight control.jpg
doors.jpg

Attachments

• Headlight door module power and ground.jpg
    Headlight door module power and ground.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 1