Potential new owner

Dorsetsteve

Regular user
Hello, first post.
I’ve been doing some reading and chatting to people and I thought I’d take the plunge a join here to learn more.

For the past 14 years I’ve owned the same Japanese imported 1990 Z32 300zx. It has a fair few modifications and it’s a great car but I feel like it’s time to change. I’ve always had a love for American cars and would love a Gen 2 Firebird for various reasons that’s not the car for me to own really. A Corvette I feel is a much better fit for me and the garage (literally) with the C6 model being the one I like most and C5 a close second.

The reason I’ve not taken the plunge yet, is basically two fold. Firstly I’ve actually not seen a C6 up close let alone driven one and there aren’t loads for sale. The left hand drive business puts me off as I’ve never own one before.

So the questions.
Where’s the best place to look for a C6, should I look at importing one?
Is the Z06 version significantly better to warrant the price?
Is the 6 a better or significantly different car than the 5 which is both cheaper and more readily available?

Thanks in advance.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
A club member has just posted his C6 Coupe for sale . Always a good idea to consider a club members car as they are usually cherished and have at least some history . I can`t speak with experience about C6 `s but as for your fears about owning a left hooker , you will soon adapt to it . If you have ever driven a right hand drive car in Europe you will find it is really no different , just the other way round . You will love the V8 sound and effortless power of a muscular V8 too . What`s not to like .

Dorsetsteve

Regular user
I did see a black one come up here actually, looks lovely.
I have driven in Europe before yeah, quite a few times actually for work and I have Family in France. Tbh I don’t enjoy driving over there.

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
LHD in the UK is not a problem for most of us, particularly with an auto. Plus with oodles of power overtaking is no problem either.
As I assume you're in Dorset your nearest club night is the South Coast in the Bournemouth area, so get in touch with their Regional Rep John Allen (southcoastregion@corvetteclub.org.uk) and I'm sure they'll welcome you to have a look at their Corvettes at a future meeting.
Good luck with your search, oh and definitely join the CCCUK 👍

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
As to C5 or C6 Z06s
If you only want an auto tranny, Z06s only came with a 6 speed manual tranny

C5 Z06 small block 5.46 CI with 405 flywheel HP where C6 Z06 was a small block but bored out to 427 CI, 505 HP
C6 cabin area, a bit smaller than C5s

Front noses are different as C5s are bottom breathers as to air for intakes where C6s are front breathers
Also, C5s have the well known popup headlights, C6s do not

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I did see a black one come up here actually, looks lovely.
I have driven in Europe before yeah, quite a few times actually for work and I have Family in France. Tbh I don’t enjoy driving over there.
I prefer driving in France to this damned awefull country , much less stressful or congested for the most part .

Dorsetsteve

Regular user
I would prefer a manual, I pretty fussy with automatics and wouldn’t naturally opt for one especially in a toy. I wouldn’t compromise to have a C5 in auto, the C6 with the paddle shift I would probably be ok with, I drove a Huracan recently with them and that was great.

I prefer the interior on the C6 and I’d rather have the LS series engines than the LT.

Dorsetsteve

Regular user
I prefer driving in France to this damned awefull country , much less stressful or congested for the most part .
Personally I quite like the U.K. and having worked in six others don’t think it’s an awful country. Holland is pretty good to drive through as is Belgium, France not so much thanks.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If I had to buy a C6, it would have to be the ZR1

Since its 2005 introduction, the base Corvette received a new 436 HP LS3 engine, providing supercar levels of performance.
The well-sorted chassis prompted Corvette engineers to develop enhanced Corvette models, including the 505 HP Z06 (2006), 635 HP ZR1 (2009) Grand Sport (2010), and 427 convertible (2013) models.
Speaking of the Grand Sport, Chevrolet produced more of these in 2010 than the base model coupes and convertibles.

Model YearCoupeConvertibleZ06ZR1Grand Sport CoupeGrand Sport Convertible427 ConvertibleTotal
TOTAL215,125

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
2005-06 were the only 2 years the LS2 and the PCM was used, I'd stay away from them and the auto tranny was the A4 (4 speed)

Read these

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Another one here agreeing with what Chuffer said above about driving a LHD in the UK - it feels odd at first, but you soon get used to it. I have a manual 1968 C3 and really like driving LHD cars now. Yes its a tiny bit more of a pain to see around a vehicle to overtake, but with a C6 you'll adapt and be able to peek out and shoot around cars quickly.

Roscobbc

There are advantages to driving LHD. 'Hug' the kerb and look up the inside of a line of traffic......while everyone else is veering towards the centre of the road. Gives you an unrivaled perspective of traffic flow during busy conditions and also pedestrians potentially stepping-off kerb and other vehicles about to pull out of side roads.
Not so clever in poor weather conditions where rain on off-side and rear window can affect visibility.........pulling out of 'T' junctions in poor weather needs care.......electric windows are useful!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Like most things, the more you drive a left Hand drive vehicle the better you become. As Mr Roscobbc said T junctions can be dangerous poking your front out to see round etc, roundabouts again can cause problems depending on your position. None of my close friends since the 70’s would never consider a LHD car, in fact they have never driven one, yet my 17 year old niece has driven my 65 a few times without any fear at all.

Dorsetsteve

Regular user
In fairness my daily is a Van, so I’m used to not being able to see at some junctions etc. The vett would/will be an occasional use toy but hopefully I’d get used to it, don’t want to be that guy that doesn’t know what size his car is :lol: