Program needed for PCM re-flash via Tech 2

Llewelyn

Well-known user
Hi all

I've got quite a long thread in the "new members" section about some ongoing fault diags I am working on to try and get my 1999 manual C5 back up and running.
I thought tech talk on there was in the wrong place really so I've started a new thread here... !

The car was purchased as a non runner and I found that the PCM had quite severe water damage. This has been replaced by a recon unit from Flash Masters which has made a huge difference to the car but I still have a non running condition.

The fault I am experiencing is quite simply that the signal going from the PCM to the fuel pump relay is not working. If I bridge out that relay all is fine. I have thoroughly tested wiring, serial data comms, steering column lock is bypassed. VATS pairing has been re-done, key resistance checked etc. All ground points located, cleaned and tested for resistance.

I really think the issue is that the "new" PCM needs another software flash.

I now have a Tech 2 with a CANdi module, and I have a GM card for it on order which hasn't arrived yet. I'd like to try and reflash the PCM with a base program and see if that cures the fault. Does anyone have a file they can email to me? I am not sure how it all works as I haven't used Tech 2. I have the x3 GM service manuals but cannot seem to find the section about replacing the PCM which is annoying!

Any advice appreciated! :) Thanks

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
As I posted in your other thread on this, I believe the failure is column lock has failed
This prevents the PCM to command fuel
If the C5 is manual tranny, when this fails the PCM will not command fuel system on, so the car cannot be stolen
Most C5 and C6 owners having this problem buy a CL bypass

There are several vendors that sell a CL bypass, here is one example, about $50 US
Maybe some vendor in UK sells them ?

There was a federal recall in this
IF manual tranny, the workaround fix was an update to the PCM calibration

Here is the recall

Recall Subject: Steering:column Locking:anti-Theft Device
Report Receipt Date: 02/09/2004
NHTSA Campaign: 04v060000

Summary
On certain passenger vehicles equipped with electronic column lock systems (ecl), when the ignition switch is turned to "lock," the ecl system prevents turning of the steering system.
When the vehicle is started, the ecl unlocks the steering system. the vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when the vehicle is started and the customer tries to drive, the fuel supply will be shut off

so that the vehicle cannot move when the vehicle cannot be steered. if voltage at the powertrain control module is low or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur and the vehicle can be accelerated while the steering system is locked. also when the control system shows that the ecl is unlocked and the vehicle is being driven, the lock pin location can vary. depending on the location of the lock plate relative to the switch transition point, there could then be contact between the lock plate and pin causing the steering to lock while driving .

Consequence
If this occurs, a crash could occur without warning.

Remedy
On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, the dealer will disable the steering column lock by removing the column lock plate. when the ignition key is removed, the transmission shifter will lock but the steering column will not lock. on vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, the dealer will reprogram the powertrain control module, perform a dimensional check of the column lock and, if necessary, replace the lock plate. the steering column on these vehicles will continue to lock when the key is removed. owner notification to owners of 1997 vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions began on april 26, 2004. owners of 1998 through 2004 vehicles (except 1997-1998 manual transmission vehicles) will be notified beginning on august 2, 2004. the remaining owners (1997-1998 manual transmission vehicles) will be notified later in 2004, when parts are available. Owners should contact chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438.

So what is your VIN # and is this a manual or auto tranny

IF manual than yes the tech-II could flash PCM with that recall, if the tool does not have that recall that you have to pay the SPS service to your Tech-II connecting to that server and downloading the newest PCM calibration that would include all TSB updates

Just flashing any PCM calibration does not mean it has the column lock TSB fix

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Refer to last posts in this thread, so I am not writing content to 2 threads

Llewelyn

Well-known user
@teamzr1 thank you for your help - Very much appreciated! Reading back through these posts makes me realise what a total novice I am, luckily I am sorted now - I'll write a post on the original thread with an update for you :)