C5 died

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
There you go
GM to prevent thefts when something screws with security, in this case column lock
prevents command of fuel injectors so cannot steal car
And yes if that CL relay is stuck closed loop then it is draining battery all the time

Options :

1. going to a dealer and having CL repaired
2. buying a CL bypass and install that

3. My way screw CL, always been a problem so as I just did for Keith of EuroVettes
has a 1998 C5 that I custom tuned yesterday and I turned off the fricking CL for good in the PCM calibration
I also turn off the damn limp mode :-( when certain problems trups that

It does not help that you do not fix DIC as it would have flashed CL problems warning
and via DIC or a scanner would have tripped DTCs to tell you what had faulted

Which tranny you have, auto or manual ?

And what is the VIN # as GM did a TSB for certain CL problems
with the VIN #, I can tell if that TSB was installed in your C5

cldisable.jpg

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
There was at least 3 federal recalls on C5s related to column lock

Components: STEERING

NHTSA ID Number: 11469740
Incident Date May 2, 2022
Consumer Location CUMMING, GA
Vehicle Identification Number 1G1YY12S915****

Summary of Complaint

My steering column lock has failed on my C5 Corvette. I understand that there was a previous recall for this, but I have been the owner of this car since 2001 and was never notified by mail of the recall by GM. When I contact GM, they indicate that the recall is expired and there is nothing that they can do. HELP!!!

1 Affected Product

February 14, 2022 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11451962
Components: STEERING, FUEL/PROPULSION SYSTEM

NHTSA ID Number: 11451962
Incident Date February 14, 2004
Consumer Location LEAGUE CITY, TX
Vehicle Identification Number 1G1YY12S915****

Summary of Complaint

Chevy / GM recalled over 100,000 Corvettes built between 1997 and 2004 for a steering column lock issue, that renders the car un drivable. The fuel supply cuts off at 2 miles per hour. Many of the dealers did a faulty job fixing the problem, causing it to recur. My 2001 Corvette (with less than 17,000 miles) repeatedly experiences this problem.
GM says they will not warrant this known defective design, due to the recall expiring. According to an internet search on “Corvette Steering Column Lock”, there no telling how many unhappy Corvette owners this has created. Need your help getting this $50,000 car back on the road.

1 Affected Product

December 30, 2021 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11445659
Components: FUEL/PROPULSION SYSTEM

October 22, 2021 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11437839

NHTSA ID Number: 11437839
Incident Date October 4, 2021
Consumer Location MYRTLE BEACH, SC
Vehicle Identification Number 1g1yy32g715****

Summary of Complaint

Have 2001 manual 6 speed corvette. Column locks up. Have no way to start car or steer. Worried car will lock up steering column while driving. Gm says there's no recall on this. Seems to be a problem on c5 Corvettes.

1 Affected Product

December 28, 2020 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11385193

NHTSA ID Number: 11385193
Incident Date August 18, 2004
Consumer Location MIDDLETOWN, DE
Vehicle Identification Number 1G1YY22GX15****

Summary of Complaint

TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2001 CHEVROLET CORVETTE. THE CONTACT STATED THAT WHEN THE VEHICLE WAS STARTED, THE STEERING WHEEL CEASED WITH THE SERVICE STEERING COLUMN WARNING LIGHT ILLUMINATED. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO I.G. BURTON LEWES AUTOMALL (17861 COASTAL HWY, LEWES, DE 19958) WHERE IT WAS DIAGNOSED AND THE MECHANIC DETERMINED THAT THE STEERING COLUMN NEEDED TO BE REPLACED. THE VEHICLE WAS REPAIRED THREE ADDITIONAL TIMES HOWEVER, THE FAILURE RECURRED. THE CONTACT MENTIONED NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 04V060000 (STEERING) AS A POSSIBLE SOLUTION TO THE FAILURE HOWEVER, THE VIN WAS NOT INCLUDED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED OF THE FAILURE AND REFERRED THE CONTACT TO THE DEALER FOR THE REPAIR. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS APPROXIMATELY 7,000.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
A GM server is down right now, so I cannot get all the info but for now your 2001 C5 had 3 federal recalls I show below
Being this has an auto tranny the dealer fix was half ass as instead of fixing CL issue they took out the column lock plate out of the steering wheel and why you can turn it when the car is off, but that does not solve the problem if CL electronics failures
Read what I posted in RED below

1G1YY32GX15106220_20190709_3_2.jpg

Recalls & Defects​

Recall Subject: Exterior Lighting
Report Receipt Date: 04/07/2009
NHTSA Campaign: 09e012000
Summary
Sabersport is recalling 16,270 combination corner and bumper lamp assemblies of various part numbers sold for use as aftermarket equipment for various passenger vehicles. These headlamps fail to conform to the requirements of federal motor vehicle safety standard no. 108, "lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment." these lamps do not contain the required amber side reflectors.
Consequence
Decreased lighting visibility may result in a vehicle crash.
Remedy
Sabersport will notify owners and offer a full refund for the noncompliant combination lamps. the safety recall began on may 11, 2009. owners may contact sabersport at 1-909-598-7589.
Notes
This recall only pertains to aftermarket replacement equipment and has no relation to any original equipment installed on vehicles produced by the vehicle manufacturer.in order to determine if your aftermarket lamp assembly is affected by this noncompliance, please review the list of model numbers provided to us by sabersport.the list can be found under "document search" located at the bottom of your screen.owners may also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov .

Recall Subject: Exterior Lighting:headlights
Report Receipt Date: 05/11/2009
NHTSA Campaign: 09e025000
Summary
Dope, inc. is recalling 42,540 combination corner and bumper lamp assemblies of various part numbers sold for use as aftermarket equipment for various passenger vehicles. These headlamps fail to conform to the requirements of federal motor vehicle safety standard no. 108, "lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment." these lamps do not contain the required amber side reflectors.
Consequence
Decreased lighting visibility may result in a vehicle crash.
Remedy
Dope, inc. will notify owners and offer a full refund for the noncompliant combination lamps. the safety recall began on july 28, 2009. owners may contact dope, inc. at 1-626-272-1798.
Notes
This recall only pertains to aftermarket replacement equipment and has no relation to any original equipment installed on vehicles produced by the vehicle manufacturer.in order to determine if your aftermarket lamp assembly is affected by this noncompliance, please review the list of model numbers provided to us by dope, inc.the list can be found under "document search" located at the bottom of your screen. owners may also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov .

Recall Subject: Steering:column Locking:anti-Theft Device
Report Receipt Date: 02/09/2004
NHTSA Campaign: 04v060000
Summary

On certain passenger vehicles equipped with electronic column lock systems (ecl), when the ignition switch is turned to "lock," the ecl system prevents turning of the steering system. When the vehicle is started, the ecl unlocks the steering system.

The vehicle is designed so that if the column fails to unlock when the vehicle is started and the customer tries to drive,
the fuel supply will be shut off so that the vehicle cannot move when the vehicle cannot be steered

If voltage at the powertrain control module is low or interrupted, however, the fuel shut off may not occur, and the vehicle can be accelerated while the steering system is locked.
Also, when the control system shows that the ecl is unlocked and the vehicle is being driven, the lock pin location can vary.
Depending on the location of the lock plate relative to the switch transition point, there could then be contact between the lock plate and pin causing the steering to lock while driving .
Consequence
If this occurs, a crash could occur without warning.
Remedy
On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, the dealer will disable the steering column lock by removing the column lock plate.
When the ignition key is removed, the transmission shifter will lock, but the steering column will not lock. on vehicles equipped with a manual transmission, the dealer will reprogram the powertrain control module, perform a dimensional check of the column lock and, if necessary, replace the lock plate. The steering column on these vehicles will continue to lock when the key is removed.

Owner notification to owners of 1997 vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions began on april 26, 2004. owners of 1998 through 2004 vehicles (except 1997-1998 manual transmission vehicles) will be notified beginning on august 2, 2004.
The remaining owners (1997-1998 manual transmission vehicles) will be notified later in 2004, when parts are available. owners should contact chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438.
Notes
Gm recall no. 04006.customers can also contact the national highway traffic safety administration's auto safety hotline at 1-888-dash-2-dot (1-888-327-4236).

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Do you think getting a new pcm as well as the steering lock bypass is a good idea ?

IF your C5 has column lock failure, replacing the PCM itself will not fix the problem as it is doing what GM designed as it being told by logic of CL that attempt to steal a car by trying to break into CL

As I posted, the best way is to turn OFF the CL in the PCM calibration or someone with a Tech-II that has a known calibration where CL was turned off
You might look around to local to you to find a GM dealer or shop that has a Tech-II and understand you need the PCM flashed with a known calibration where CL was turned OFF

There are several vendors that sell a CL bypass, here is one example, about $50 US
Maybe some vendor in UK sells them ?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The OEM steering module sends out voltage to the OEM steering column lock on two wires to drive the lock motor and when the lock is in the correct position, it sends back a resistance on the other two wires to tell the module that the OEM lock in the correct position (locked or unlocked).

When you shut the car off, the voltage on the power wires is revered to send the steering lock in the other direction to lock it, and when it's fully in that position, a different resistance is sent back on the other two wires to tell the module it's in the correct position as well.

The problem with the OEM lock, it has plastic drive gears that bind after time, and the lock is not driven fully in the correct position in time to make the module happy (correct resistance signal not send back to the module).
Since the steering column lock is not in the correct position, it will not allow the car to start.

So what the bypass is just a locking relay, with two sets of resistors in it instead.
So the OEM steering lock is taking out of play in the unlocked position, and now the steering lock module is just sending the power to the eliminator to drive the locking relay one way or another, and it sends back the correct needed resistance, so the steering column module thinks that the OEM steering lock is still in play.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
IF someone local has a Tech-II but not the SPS service
they can buy that service at

And for like $50 would allow online access with the Tech-II to flash PCM with all newest PCM and BCM TSBs and Recalls

To install a bypass, must first get the CL motor unstuck, bypass only than prevents the problem to happen again

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Have orderd steering lock bypass from Amazon UK
Wonderd if a new pcm would possibly help fix DIC or the OBD-II scanner ?

No, the PCM does not directly handle the CL or the DIC
The BCM which is in the passenger floor does

I mentioned before, the DLC under the dash where you plug a code reader, scanner or Tech-II
Pin 16 must have 12 volts as that is what supplies this diagnostic tools to function
Have you tested that ?

That 12 volts is on the fused circuit for the cigarette lighter, does yours work ?
I also mentioned in the floor where BCM is there is wiring there, that is the on-board Starbus network
If any of the wiring connectors in there is loose, not fully connected or water got in or animals eating wires
or the wiring connector to BCM not fully connected or dirty pins
Then there would be problems

The bypass is only to prevent the CL issue happening in the future,
IF the CL electric motor is jammed, the bypass will not unstick it
Gears in CL motor are plastic, known over time to strip or jam up

Some people have freed this by turning steering wheel hard full lock to lock, left /right and free the gears
Others get to the CL motor and wack it with a tool and cause freeing up of the gears

As mentioned before, the DIC, is connected to the IPC (dash controller) who in turns talks to the BCM
If any issue, fuses to IPC or wiring issues would prevent DIC working but

You did not answer when I asked have you took the light dimmer switch and rotated it to be sure someone had not turned
dimmer too low, which would dim out DIC window.

I also mentioned the most foolproof way to prevent CL issues is someone with a PCM tuning tool as I showed in other post to
turn the F'er off along with turning limp mode off

You must deal with dead DIC and DLC, without them, you're blind (and so are we) to problems that would be seen as to tripped DTCs

The C5 has a bladder, its purpose is to channel water down, but it can block up and now cannot channel so the water,
even from the A/C than rolls down into where the BCM is and screw up wiring connections, so look closely for any water damage

Last edited:
I mentioned before, the DLC under the dash where you plug a code reader, scanner or Tech-II
Pin 16 must have 12 volts as that is what supplies this diagnostic tools to function
Have you tested that ?
I will test at the weekend . It powers up the scanner but I am not sure if it is 12v
That 12 volts is on the fused circuit for the cigarette lighter, does yours work ?
yes this works
also mentioned in the floor where BCM is there is wiring there, that is the on-board Starbus network
If any of the wiring connectors in there is loose, not fully connected or water got in or animals eating wires
or the wiring connector to BCM not fully connected or dirty pins
Then there would be problems
i removed them all and looked at them ,I will do again but all looked good last time ,
It is bone dry in the footwell
You did not answer when I asked have you took the light dimmer switch and rotated it to be sure someone had not turned
dimmer too low, which would dim out DIC window.
I turned this up and down but it did nothing
The display shows things such as odometer reading ,door ajar ect
also mentioned the most foolproof way to prevent CL issues is someone with a PCM tuning tool as I showed in other post to
turn the F'er off along with turning limp mode off
would this work even if the reader will not work in the socket ?
The C5 has a bladder, its purpose is to channel water down, but it can block up and now cannot channel so the water,
even from the A/C than rolls down into where the BCM is and screw up wiring connections, so look closely for any water damage
I will look again
One thing that I did do was fit a hyper flash so will take kneepad ect back off and check to see if I can see any loose wires in there that might be causing this

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
IF the DLC is dead and cannot connect and talk to PCM, that would also mean tools like a Tech-II would also not work

IF DLC is dead, so you could not tune the PCM
Another way as I do is take PCM out of the car, I install wires to it to make it active and then flash the tune into it
Called Off-board tuning

What is a Hyper flash, and what does it connect to and what wires ?

If you're saying a OBD-II scanner connects ?
Then DLC and Starbus, BCM, PCM is functional

And how is the wiring connected or just replaces the stock flasher ?
Any other wiring changes than stock
You just unplug the old one and insert the new one in it is not connected to anything else
Not that I know there are a couple of wires that don’t look original but I have no idea what they are and the car worked with them . I only mention the hyper flash as it’s the only time that I have been in near the wiring around the steering column

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
As to column lock, have you tried to turn the steering wheel several times all the way left and right and see if that causes the pin of CL to move back into the motor ?
Can you get to CL motor and bang on it to clear up if gears are jammed ?
Try taking out the relay for it and then put back in
Or look at the top of the relay, write the part number down and then find in either fuse panel one of the same part # and temp swap it to CL relay socket and see if any of those allow engine startup

Need full OBD-II scanner if you say that connects and report any DTCS it reports

Bit of a long one, sorry
When I replaced the power steering pulley, I wanted to renew, the power steering fluid as I had to remove the pump to get the pulley off. It seemed a good time to do it.. I jacked the front of the car up, filled the reservoir with power steering fluid and then turned the wheel by hand to force the new fluid through the pump and the power steering mechanism. I wanted to do this by hand before I started the engine, I now wonder if this could have caused the power steering lock to fail
I will try all the things you suggest at the weekend weather permitting