Radio fascia Panel

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Finally got my music install completed and sounds great replaced the dash speakers with 6x4s and made some custom boxes for the 6x9 rears. i made a fascia panel out of a piece of wood to match the door inserts but im not happy with it. i think it would look much better with a black plastic surround. I can't find a fascia panel anywhere on the net only if i replace the whole fascia that surrounds clocks an all. Anyone know where i can get a basic single din fascia panel from?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I had the same problem with a poorly fitted after market modern CD / Radio when I bought the car . As the unit was supported ok within the consol and only needed decorative black surround to match the dash I cut out a facia from a sheet of model makers Plastikard . About 3mm thick from memory . Sprayed it satin black to have the same non glossy sheen as the rest of the plastic instrument panel and fixed with 4 black anodised allan key headed screws to match the `faux` ones around the gauges . At least they are on a 1980 . Sorry this image doesn`t show it too well as car is over at my rental workshop at the mo .tooktakeaa DSCF0189.JPG

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
I didn't see the first part of this thread. I take it that the hole cut in the centre console is too big for the radio? This item appears to be a box & 3 different facia trim plates.I think the box goes in the console, enlarge hole if necessary to fit. The radio goes in the box, and trim plate/bezel clips over .There should be a metal strap at the rear to support the radio/ box holder. eBay

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I had the same problem with a poorly fitted after market modern CD / Radio when I bought the car . As the unit was supported ok within the consol and only needed decorative black surround to match the dash I cut out a facia from a sheet of model makers Plastikard . About 3mm thick from memory . Sprayed it satin black to have the same non glossy sheen as the rest of the plastic instrument panel and fixed with 4 black anodised allan key headed screws to match the `faux` ones around the gauges . At least they are on a 1980 . Sorry this image doesn`t show it too well as car is over at my rental workshop at the mo .tooktakeaa View attachment 6961

Are th spokes on your steering wheel slightly odd?

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
I didn't see the first part of this thread. I take it that the hole cut in the centre console is too big for the radio? This item appears to be a box & 3 different facia trim plates.I think the box goes in the console, enlarge hole if necessary to fit. The radio goes in the box, and trim plate/bezel clips over .There should be a metal strap at the rear to support the radio/ box holder. eBay
thanks, this looks good, i'll call them tomorrow and get the dimensions, the hole in my fascia has been cut a little wide by the butcher who fitted the last radio i really do wish that people that cant would leave things alone. I could make one out of mdf and then prime and spray matt black like Chuffer did with his modelling plastic but this takes quite a bit of time and tbh in this instance it will be best if i can get something to fit.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Are th spokes on your steering wheel slightly odd?
Ooo errr ! no wonder the car steers funny :confused:
Seriously though , what an optical illusion caused by angle of steering wheel tilted up , and camera angle with a wide angle lens shot of the deep dished Grant GT wheel .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
thanks, this looks good, i'll call them tomorrow and get the dimensions, the hole in my fascia has been cut a little wide by the butcher who fitted the last radio i really do wish that people that cant would leave things alone. I could make one out of mdf and then prime and spray matt black like Chuffer did with his modelling plastic but this takes quite a bit of time and tbh in this instance it will be best if i can get something to fit.
I know just what you mean Ad . The dodgy dealer replaced the radio as promised as the one in it when imported from Japan would not work in the UK , but clearly couldn`t be arsed to do a proper job đŸ˜¡ Just stuffed a new one in that fitted where it touched and looked pants . I could not source the correct `off the peg` fittings at the time so made up my own supports behind the centre console be taking off the carpet trim panels on either side of transmission tunnel for access and then made my own surround as described .

Sea5

CCCUK regional rep
I currently have the centre consul out with a view to installing a 'newer' radio cassette that I had in a TransAm 20+ years ago. My 1981 C3 has the original radio cassette that doesn't work. It resembles a breeze block and weighs as much too! As you can see, the unit is big but the fixing aperture is quite small with the 2x control knobs fixing to the plastic front moulding. The obvious solution is to cut (jigsaw) the facia and enlarge it. I'm concerned that cutting 40 year old plastic may not go the way I want it to and I could end up having to replace the whole thing. My question to those who have done it: Is there another way or how did you cut it out successfully? Plan B would be to get the old unit rebuilt/repaired but so far I've not found anyone who will undertake the job.
Below is the old and 'new' with the consul and then, the back of the consul with the 'new' radio cassette housing. I feel if I cut the plastic to fit it will weaken the structure where it joins the lower (handbrake) consul?
Ideas, comments much appreciated.
200629 C3 radio job (1).jpg200629 C3 radio job (2).jpg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Depends on how much you want to spend but you can get modern radios with DAB, Bluetooth etc that’ll fit in the old pre-din spindle mount holes.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I certainly would not advocate jig sawing your facia out to make it fit .As you say , the plastic is brittle and the aperture would need to be so big there will be no `meat` left round the edges making it very week and prone to snapping .

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Depends on how much you want to spend but you can get modern radios with DAB, Bluetooth etc that’ll fit in the old pre-din spindle mount holes.
I got one of these. FM/ AM . Sound is OK, looks similar, and has got iPod & phone wired playback. Best bit is the wiring, it plugs straight in to the Corvette harness1977-1982-Corvette-Radio-USA-230_01_540x540.jpg

Sea5

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks guys for the replies.
Chuffer, those seats are to die for!
Corvetteville, If that unit fits my aperture I could be tempted. Custom Autosound don't show that unit on their website. Can you tell us where it came from, please? In the meantime, I have e-mailed Chris at the Vintage Car Radio to see if he will undertake the project. I will report back if useful.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks for the kind words about the seats Sea5 . When I was re doing all the interior in 2018 I decided to go the whole hog and buy complete new seats in Doe skin leather rather than recover original shabby vinyl ones . So glad I did as they are more supportive as well as looking good . Even sold the old chairs on Ebay very quickly which raised a few quid (y)

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
I was looking at Ecklers Corvette for the radio. Then I noticed a new one on eBay UK. It was unused by the seller, who was a CCCUK member so no hesitation buying.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Corvetteville, If that unit fits my aperture I could be tempted. Custom Autosound don't show that unit on their website. Can you tell us where it came from, please? In the meantime, I have e-mailed Chris at the Vintage Car Radio to see if he will undertake the project. I will report back if useful.
Here is a better shot of the new seats :DDSCF0186.JPG

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Cheers Corvetteville (y). They are the 1980 model year with 2 inch bolsters . They give enough lateral support without being too deep to make getting in and out awkward and scuffing the bolster leather. Cost just over a grand with dratted VAT but well worth it recon .