Rear bush puller,

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Spent a couple of hours making a puller to try to extract my rear bush from the tailshaft. It locks behind the bush with a nick click but when I start to wind it out, the fingers slip back through the bush. The snap on one must have a way to lock them into position behind the bush. Will keep trying, not quite ready to knock the old bush into the tailshaft as some have suggested on the usa bubba forums ๐Ÿคฃ any suggestions? ๐Ÿ‘EF264EB5-C683-4D63-B784-709FD7BA7917.jpegBB50881E-F07F-42C3-B0B2-0B150E6FC09E.jpeg

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Use another piece of tube inside your current one that you can slide forwards after youโ€™ve got the teeth behind the bush and thatโ€™ll lock them out

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Use another piece of tube inside your current one that you can slide forwards after youโ€™ve got the teeth behind the bush and thatโ€™ll lock them out
Tried another bit of tube which i thought would lock them but still the same result ! Bummer. If and I say IF I WAS to drive the old bush in, it would just stay hanging on the shaft wouldnt it? Cant actually drop into the box, just seems Wrong, although the box is coming out at some stage so could retrieve it then, what do you think ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ‘

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Could you modify your puller tool so that the nut is at the split end of the puller, then grind a taper either on the inside edge of the puller or on the nut? Iโ€™m thinking of the same principle as a bicycle handle bar stem if you follow!
That looks like an extremely awkward job if ever I saw one, good luck Gary.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Could you modify your puller tool so that the nut is at the split end of the puller, then grind a taper either on the inside edge of the puller or on the nut? Iโ€™m thinking of the same principle as a bicycle handle bar stem if you follow!
Thanks forrest, I dont think that is dooable as the issue is that the shaft is in situ, so anything at the front end of the tube would stop you sliding the puller over the shaft. I tried another tube iside the puller as oneball suggested and it felt good and firmly locked behind bush but again , when I wound it out the tabs pulled in and through th inside of the bush. Will try again, i can try a hacksaw blade to cut through the bush but fiddly without damage to tailshaft casing

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks forrest, I dont think that is dooable as the issue is that the shaft is in situ, so anything at the front end of the tube would stop you sliding the puller over the shaft. I tried another tube iside the puller as oneball suggested and it felt good and firmly locked behind bush but again , when I wound it out the tabs pulled in and through th inside of the bush. Will try again, i can try a hacksaw blade to cut through the bush but fiddly without damage to tailshaft casing
Oh yes, I forgot about the shaft still being there!
Okay, I'll have another stab!........ weld the nut onto the inner tube then add some weld around the other end of that tube so that when you pull on it, it forces against and locks your outer tube fingers onto the bush. You'll need to patent this tool! [edit] - if it works

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Frustrating as when you watch a video of the correct tool in use it takes 2/3 minutes and wirks perfectly. My tool is obviously Just not quite right. ๐Ÿ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Oh yes, I forgot about the shaft still being there!
Okay, I'll have another stab!........ weld the nut onto the inner tube then add some weld around the other end of that tube so that when you pull on it, it forces against and locks your outer tube fingers onto the bush. You'll need to patent this tool! [edit] - if it works
I tried to buy
Everything is easy when you've got the right tools, but where's the fun in that ๐Ÿคฃ
true , it will be satisfying when she pops out ๐Ÿคž

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I tried to buy

true , it will be satisfying when she pops out ๐Ÿคž
I am going to try next to knock the bush slightly further in. My thoughts are that if it has not moved for fifty years it is tight, so if i get a bit of movement and Then try my puller again that hopefully my have more chance of a result . ๐Ÿ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
This is really becoming a pain now, I couldnt get any movement trying to punch it in at all so no wonder it wont pull out! It feels like it is welded in there. Having to resort to trying to cut through the bottom of the bush with a hacksaw blade , hoping that will loosen it. I swear breaking out of wandsworth would be easier than this. Been 40 mins and hardly a mark on it !๐Ÿ˜ค

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
What about heating that end up, so there is some expansion and then as it cools to see bushing than is loosened up ?

Possible to use a pipe, etc to enter the other end of the shaft to drive the bushing out ?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
What about heating that end up, so there is some expansion and then as it cools to see bushing than is loosened up ?

Possible to use a pipe, etc to enter the other end of the shaft to drive the bushing out ?
No way of getting to the other end, short of pulling the box and removing the tailpiece. . Heating up not really an option in situ either. Went off to town and bought an air body saw hoping that will be able to saw the bush and hopefully make it loose enough to extract it . Will try in a bit and report back๐Ÿ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
No way of getting to the other end, short of pulling the box and removing the tailpiece. . Heating up not really an option in situ either. Went off to town and bought an air body saw hoping that will be able to saw the bush and hopefully make it loose enough to extract it . Will try in a bit and report back๐Ÿ‘
TFFT !!!๐Ÿคฃ bought an air body saw yesterday 20 mile round trip. To find it had the wrong blades no probs, ground one down to fit , plugged in the air line ,โ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ Nothing !! A duff saw!
Went back this morning to exchange it only to find it was his last one 40 mile round trip to another tool shop bought a clarke air sabre saw. Just been out there for twenty mins , didnt even saw all the way through and all the shaking and vibration of the saw shook her out ! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. Just got to clean the tail up, fit new bush and seal and then tuesday hopefully my new slip yoke should arrive and I ccan put her back together. . A frustrating weekend but too windy to ski and a good end result. I can feel a few holes of golf coming on this eve now . ๐Ÿ‘ thanks for all the help and interest . ๐Ÿ™4B416E69-3599-46EF-823B-B32B008B7820.jpeg