Rear side markers

Andrew1981

CCCUK Member
Hi,

Regarding the C5 orange rear side markers (on the rear wings), I had some questions (very hard to wade through the 99% USA stuff to find the answer!)

Am I right in thinking that in the UK they are not meant to light up, and just act as reflectors? Mine are plumbed in with bulbs but do not light up when my headlights are on.

Secondly, for them to pass MOT do they have to be orange or can they be red?

Finally, if I wanted them to light up, (by hooking it into the taillight wiring most likely) would that be an MOT failure?

Hope someone knows the answer, many thanks!

Andrew

Andrew1981

CCCUK Member
Many thanks.

After removing them and giving the connections a damn good clean they seemed to work with the new lights in.

I wonder if red ones are an MOT fail, logic suggests they wouldn't be as tail lights are red and orange may be confused with indicators. Fingers crossed!

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I installed red ones. No problem.

I also twinned the amber rear indicators and by use of diodes had the inboard pair still working as amber reversing lights. Again, no problem. All you need is the additional euro lenses and a couple of high current diodes. (Then the indicator flashes both lamps on the appropriate side of the car and reverse gear only illuminates the inboard pair. i.e. if you're reversing with the indicator on the outboard lamp is flashing amber and the inboard lamp is solid amber.).

C5Steve

CCCUK Member
I can't remember if it's VOSA or MOT regs (same thing?) but in the UK marker lights are only permitted to be red at the rear and amber at the sides, hence why most UK cars don't have the side markers hooked up as they're red.

That said, I've had my ones hooked up for years and never had an issue with anyone. Swapped them over to LED strips years ago which are 10x brighter and still no problems so I think you'll be good. There's worse lighting mods out there for agencies to worry about you'd have to find a real jobsworth to give you any issue.

Andrew1981

CCCUK Member
Thank you. That's what I've done, just swapped them over.

It's only a 10 minute job to swap them back if required, but I'll roll with them until told otherwise.

Cheers for the help everyone!

Andrew1981

CCCUK Member
Hi,
Yes, well I got mine off Ali express which is the same stuff really. They were £16 a pair as red ones were much more than clear/black on ebay.

Very easy to plug and play, and fits very well - apart from needing to shave about 2mm off the width off the plastic lugs that hold it in (just used a metal file)

They look really good in my opinion.