Rear suspension spring popped

Musicman

Regular user
So, I had chance to have a good look today, it appears as though the brackets which hold the "leafs" together (a metal strap on each side) have become displaced at some stage, the left side looks as though it has been gone for some time and the right has clearly come away recently. This has caused the individual springs to (obviously) come loose and collapse. I took the weight off and have managed to get it all straight again but obviously cannot drive until I fit a complete new spring......
Can anyone please recommend a dealer who will likely have one in stock, with the above comments which are very insightful I think I will stick with what is on it for now at risk of upsetting the balance and will look at possibly replacing shocks on all four corners and the suspension in the future but would welcome further advice on this as would not want to upset the current feel of the car....if it's not broke etc.........

Musicman

Regular user
A picture would help, but a standard Vette spring doesn’t have any leaf straps. View attachment 13296
Hi Oneball, the link from Derek to Corvette Kingdom seems to show the part with the two straps, is yours an earlier version or am I missing something obvious?
Would genuinely like to get the right part and am used to playing with series Land Rovers so this is all a bit new!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Hi Oneball, the link from Derek to Corvette Kingdom seems to show the part with the two straps, is yours an earlier version or am I missing something obvious?
Would genuinely like to get the right part and am used to playing with series Land Rovers so this is all a bit new!

If you look in the description it says:

A6C30EBD-97EA-4193-B37E-D99D9B7A9EDB.jpeg
Give Scott at CK a ring on Monday, he’ll recommend the best option.

johng

CCCUK Member
No straps on my 78, but I do have a plate front and rear where it bolts to the diff that Oneball doesn't seem to have.

IMG_20200901_141019.jpg

Musicman

Regular user
If you look in the description it says:

View attachment 13297
Give Scott at CK a ring on Monday, he’ll recommend the best option.
Thank you so much buddy, that is really helpful! Mine appears to have a rust mark on one side which would suggest to me that this has only come off recently. I did not check the car in that much detail when I purchased it and would not have looked for a band.
Do you think if I just tighten everything back up that the spring should keep functioning? I have tightened the four central bolts, do these have a torque setting at all?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
No straps on my 78, but I do have a plate front and rear where it bolts to the diff that Oneball doesn't seem to have.

View attachment 13298

I think there’s two different spring types. Mine is wider in the middle, yours narrower with the plates. Both are held in place by the four bolts.

There is a torque for the bolts. Will have to look it up. they should be torqued with the car on the ground and the spring under load.

Derek Nicol

Well-known user
I think there’s two different spring types. Mine is wider in the middle, yours narrower with the plates. Both are held in place by the four bolts.

There is a torque for the bolts. Will have to look it up. they should be torqued with the car on the ground and the spring under load.

As with everything.. tighten it until it strips the thread then back it off 1/4 turn.

(im an idiot, never do what i say :D)

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Do you think if I just tighten everything back up that the spring should keep functioning? I have tightened the four central bolts, do these have a torque setting at all?
From what you have said about the initial problem it sounds like you have a more underlying issue than just loose bolts tbh.
When working on the rear spring please be aware that even with the cars wheels off the ground, there is still a dangerous amount of energy in the spring. The two link bolts at each end of the spring should only be undone once you have a jack secured under the end of the spring to take the force. Then it can be safely lowered with the jack.

johng

CCCUK Member
Your initial post said the spring had collapsed. From what you are saying now it seems that the spring hasn't actually broken, or has it? Do you have a photo of it in the collapsed state, and how it is now?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Music Man , as per some previous posts I am having a problem with trying to work out what has really gone wrong . I have only one thin spring steel clip / strap on one side of my 9 leaf steel spring as the other clearly went off to pastures new ages ago . To be honest , they are so flimsy I find it hard to understand their real function . Either way there is no discernable detriment to the integrity of my spring and nothing fell apart when I replaced the drop links and bushes at the end of the spring . As forrest Gump says , be careful as there are still big stresses at play when you jack up and take the wheels off to unbolt the drop links .

Roscobbc

Gentlemen - This thread is a real shambles. Musicman must be really confused at this point relating to his rear spring. OK, so he hadn't perhaps initially figured-out what the problem is and it's been good to see so many of us 'chip-in' with words of advice etc. (and that's what the forum's all about) so thanks everyone for trying to healp out.
Not all springs and applications are alike - depending on what year the car is, what the original spec' was, whether it's 7 or 9 leaf or fibre-glass, whether its been replaced by an aftermarket unit...... we've seen a whole load of suggestions and thoughts, some look to be way off track. Can I please suggest to all contributors to refrain from comment if you don't specifically know what the car should actually have. As Gavin of EMC said, rather tounge in cheek when 'bailing-out' of this thread earlier-on "Post removed there are enough experts here". Please only comment if you know exactly what Musicman's application is.
Musicman - perhaps you need to provide some images and further details.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Ross , we are all suitably chastened by your moderation but I do think the majority of posts were intended as cogent comments and requests for more detailed information so as to make more carefully considered responses . That said , facile comments on technical matters are not constructive and best kept for the Humour section in my opinion .

Roscobbc

Ross , we are all suitably chastened by your moderation but I do think the majority of posts were intended as cogent comments and requests for more detailed information so as to make more carefully considered responses . That said , facile comments on technical matters are not constructive and best kept for the Humour section in my opinion .
I'm sure you are right Chuffer. The very last thing we want to do is discourage members from contributing......my main concern was that the thread was 'all over the place'.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Evening all, a little technical advice from you knowledgeable people if I may?

The leaf spring has collapsed on the way home today, managed to limp to a local garage where I have utilised the lift (carefully!:ROFLMAO:) and noted that it will need replacing.

What is your advice on composite springs, from what I can tell they affect the ride making it much stiffer and are more suited for race cars so I am very much leaning towards a 7 or 9 leaf replacement but thought I should check in first.

With thanks!
When I bought my 72 over from the US the previous owner said he had fitted a glass spring and that it had transformed the ride. I dont know which spring he fitted but can confirm that it rides very well , not at all crashy like my old z4 M coupe but also almost zero body roll. For a ni on 50 year old car, the vette handles the twisties way better than I expected. 👍