Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement 1972 Corvette

Darrell Jenkins

CCCUK Member
I am looking for a repair shop that can replace my rear wheel bearing for 1972 Corvette in the Northwest. Shop will need special tools specifically for Corvette for this job as most of you already know. These tools cost in the range of £700 so trying to avoid buying tools which I would probably not ever use again!! Thanks for any help on this issue.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Paragon Auto . They are at Uplands Farm , Loddington , Kettering , Northamptonshire NN14 1LH .
Nathan plus his dad and the other lads there are great guys and totally American car fanatics who own there own classics as well . They do work on all types of cars but yanks are their speciality . They fitted a new diff and drive shaft couplings on my 1980 C3 and I was well satisfied . They restored and rebuilt Wheeler Dealer Mike Brewers Chevy Camaro and Ford Mustang GT , and his Citreon Maserati ( now there`s a complex car to work on !! ) . Brewer is patron of the Sporting Bears Motor Club that I am a member of and have chatted to him quite a few times and he recommends them highly too .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Ah ! The Clitheroe KId , remember him well ! Am I showing my age now ?? :rolleyes:
Good luck with the search as you are way up there in the frozen north :LOL:

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
I am looking for a repair shop that can replace my rear wheel bearing for 1972 Corvette in the Northwest. Shop will need special tools specifically for Corvette for this job as most of you already know. These tools cost in the range of £700 so trying to avoid buying tools which I would probably not ever use again!! Thanks for any help on this issue.
Can you remove the trailing arm from the car? If so you can send it anywhere for the rebuild.
As an aside, someone on here not so long ago said they had all the necessary tools needed and would lend them to a fellow club member - can't remember who it was unfortunately

Roscobbc

Darrell - did your C3 failed an MOT on a wheel bearing?
If this was the case - did the MOT tester have the rear end 'in the air' - and then fail it due to excessive wheel movement (blaming a wheel bearing) when 'measuring' by 'rocking' the drive wheel at 12 o/clock and 6 o/clock?
Did the MOT guy subsequently 'rock' the drive wheel at 3 o/clock and 9 o/clock? if he did was there any movement? - if he did (and there was no movement) the wheel bearing was not fault and this was 'normal' movement which will disappear once the wheels are supporting the car.

lincsnick

CCCUK Member
Are Paragon still going? The phones are dead and no reply from emails and Facebook messages. Which is a pain if so as I need some work done shortly. I'm in Lincolnshire, has anyone used Lincolnshire Corvettes near Grantham?

Darrell Jenkins

CCCUK Member
Still no luck on getting my wheel bearings installed. One of the replies mentioned that a member might have the tools to install the wheel bearings that my local garage does not have? I would be happy to rent these from him if anyone can give me his contact details. Thanks again for all the help and advice!!

Corvette

Well-known user
Look at “67 BB build “ thread and the tool you need is pictured in my vice. Shims are also needed . I can send tool out, it’s so simple to use but you need shims ready. Has your garage ever installed Corvette bearings before?

Darrell Jenkins

CCCUK Member
Hi Thanks for your reply (help). No the garage has only worked on my 72 Corvette with several projects, however they are use to working on several types of American cars.

Corvette

Well-known user
Ok Darrell, when you habe the shims in your hand I’ll send up the bearing set up tool.👍

There loads of YouTube videos showing how easy it is,