Recommendation for new brakes, please. C6, 2005, Z51.

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Hello again
Appear to have a sticking front calliper, with some grinding noise and one pad holding away from the disc when I look at it, suggesting the inner one may be almost worn down. Awaiting a new jack to look properly, as my 3 tonne trolley jack won't go under the car.
I don't like trying to refurbish callipers, as, in my experience, the refurb soon goes off again. The holes in the discs are pretty full of rust (especially rear), and there is a fair amount of scoring.
Recommendations for new discs / callipers, please? Where / how much. I'm ready for pain...

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
You're better off buying a kit that comes with the rotors and the pads as cheaper that way
Then decide if just for street (cheaper) or race type, more costly
Examples for C6s

C6 Brake Kits

If you're doing the work yourself, them might want a brake fluid pressure bleeder
as example, (1 of many types)

Pressure bleeder

And like DOT 4 brake fluid

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Thanks.
Really rather keen to keep it simple, with oem stuff sourced from the UK if possible, to reduce chances of fitment / compatibility issues.
Can't currently find any supplier in the UK...

JetJock

CCCUK Member

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
I bought Powerstop for my C5, drilled & slotted rotors plus pads. Been on a couple of years & no sign of any rust or corrosion of any sort, also when I drive the Corvette after my daily driver I forget how good these are, amazing stopping power.
Several suppliers sell them but they were actually cheapest at Amazon.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
That's good to know. Thank you very much. I'll give them a ring.
I am a big fan of EBC , I have several of my previous cars and my current Jeep with there pads . The C3 still has so much meat left on the pads that in 6 years of ownership I have never needed to replace them .

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I am a big fan of EBC , I have several of my previous cars and my current Jeep with there pads . The C3 still has so much meat left on the pads that in 6 years of ownership I have never needed to replace them .

That is because you do not drive fast enough to rarely need to use brakesalarm-gif.gif

JetJock

CCCUK Member
I bought Powerstop for my C5, drilled & slotted rotors plus pads. Been on a couple of years & no sign of any rust or corrosion of any sort, also when I drive the Corvette after my daily driver I forget how good these are, amazing stopping power.
Several suppliers sell them but they were actually cheapest at Amazon.
Seems likely that Powerstop is the way forward for me, probably from Summit or Rockauto in the USA. Any thoughts regarding the upgrade Z26 units with stainless shims, versus the Z23 with rubberised shims? (These zeds or zees don't relate to the car's Z51 pack). Use will be quickish road and maybe track some day.
I cannot find any EBC stuff available.

FIVE RED

CCCUK Member
Five Red, were you able to order on Amazon UK, or from USA? If USA, any issues with delivery?
Thanks for info.
I ordered from Amazon.com in the US. Summit Racing also had them at a slightly higher price but I decided to go with Amazon, can't remember why as Summit have always been reliable & keep good stock of almost everything. Anyway, following my order Amazon emailed to apologise as their 'fulfilment centre' didn't have stock so they sent my order to another centre. I'd ordered in June for a winter job so wasn't in a hurry, although I didn't tell Amazon that. This went on for ages & after getting further emailed apologies with 'fulfilment centre' issues, Amazon eventually agreed to waive the shipping charge. Fantastic I thought, until delivery day arrived - all brake parts were exactly as I'd ordered & well packaged, what I wasn't expecting was the 'bonus', although I'd rather not share this publicly.
All that said, I love the Powerstops, no fitting issues & still look like new, great stopping power.

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Got my Z06 discs from eurovettes Keith Beschi, already had pads.
Website only mentions up to C5, but I just spoke to him and yes, he does C6 bits too. As we're on the C6 forum here, I perhaps should have guessed that your Z06 is possibly a C6! Anyway, I'm hoping that, when I get home at the end of the week, I'll have a better idea of what I need and can maybe get something appropriate from him.
Thank you

JetJock

CCCUK Member
I ordered from Amazon.com in the US. Summit Racing also had them at a slightly higher price but I decided to go with Amazon, can't remember why as Summit have always been reliable & keep good stock of almost everything. Anyway, following my order Amazon emailed to apologise as their 'fulfilment centre' didn't have stock so they sent my order to another centre. I'd ordered in June for a winter job so wasn't in a hurry, although I didn't tell Amazon that. This went on for ages & after getting further emailed apologies with 'fulfilment centre' issues, Amazon eventually agreed to waive the shipping charge. Fantastic I thought, until delivery day arrived - all brake parts were exactly as I'd ordered & well packaged, what I wasn't expecting was the 'bonus', although I'd rather not share this publicly.
All that said, I love the Powerstops, no fitting issues & still look like new, great stopping power.
Thanks for that.
Sully at Summit was very helpful, so I'd happily go there if I need the whole shebang. Probably Keith at Eurovettes if I only need pads and some elbow grease on the callipers. I'm very tempted, on winding roads with the assumption of horses, cyclists, deer and sheep round every corner, to simply install new everything, including callipers, but I'll take a closer look when I get home and see what's really needed.
Thank you muchly.
The bonus sounds intriguing...

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks for that.
Sully at Summit was very helpful, so I'd happily go there if I need the whole shebang. Probably Keith at Eurovettes if I only need pads and some elbow grease on the callipers. I'm very tempted, on winding roads with the assumption of horses, cyclists, deer and sheep round every corner, to simply install new everything, including callipers, but I'll take a closer look when I get home and see what's really needed.
Thank you muchly.
The bonus sounds intriguing...
Don’t forget that we have a Club discount of 5% when buying from Rock Auto if you are comparing prices.

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Is it correct that the pads are the same on the standard discs and the Z51s? The Z51s are bigger, drilled, discs, but it's been suggested that the pads are the same. Anybody?
I've just returned home and I think the callipers will do with a clean up, and the rotors are OK, so I'm just going to do the pads at this point.
Thanks again for all the input.
All the inner pads are pretty close to the end, and one wear indicator spike is touching at the front, which is what I'm hearing. Lots of meat left on the outers, so I'll have to refurb the callipers.

Last edited:

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Front pads fitted, from Keef Beschi at Eurovettes - they are AC Delco ceramics.
The pad wear was extremely unbalanced - completely worn away on the inner pads, while the outers were hardly worn at all.
Is this more or less normal on these cars?
The calliper carriers were not seized at all and seemed very free and easy to move, so I'm surprised at the uneven wear of the pads.