Recommended suppliers for C3 consumables

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Anybody remember “competition cars” in east London. They also had a shop in either Southend or Clacton Essex.
Two brothers, real nice guys, good parts suppliers and mechanics. Done a lot of work for us over the years.

Roscobbc

Anybody remember “competition cars” in east London. They also had a shop in either Southend or Clacton Essex.
Two brothers, real nice guys, good parts suppliers and mechanics. Done a lot of work for us over the years.
Yep, remember them - they had a unit in the railway sidings in Leytonstone. Before that they were operating out of a lock-up garage behind where my now wife (then girlfriend) had a flat. Competition Cars also had a branch in Westcliffe on Sea. Customaid were in Ilford High Road.
These were all effectively pioneers in terms of American car parts - from the early days we also need to remember Keith Harvey and Terry Sands of Americar in Southend, also a branch in the Midlands, perhaps elsewhere too.
Deals on Wheels in Romford who in addition to wheels and tyres did aftermarket suspension stuff, sidepipes and other exhaust and custom parts......with a branch in Leigh on Sea (and the Midlands)
Woolferace were always one of the major players and supplied many of the smaller shops - they opened a branch underneath Staples Corner flyover. And here were no doubt many others dotted over the uk.
Back in the early to mid 70's and onwards American cars, customising and trick paintwork were seriously big business.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I loved going to JWR at staples corner, bit of a bugger to park there under the flyover. Always found something extra to buy there.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
There was a nice chap again over east London way called Alan Lay. A printer by trade but a great custom painter. Did a few of Andy Kay’s vans over the years, a nice TR6 called screwball. We took the drawing of the murals to the police to confirm they would be OK on the car. They passed three of them, but one was a no no.
The legendary Geoff ridgeway was another associate, painted our friends cougar convertible “ house of wax” after his record shop. It caught fire in cranley gardens muswell hill. Burnt to a shell. Unlike the T/A Phoenix, it didn’t rise from the flames.

Roscobbc

Local to me in Romford was of the early 'paintbrush' artists A & L Auto's - the late Al Llewelyn's shop painted many a show car back 'in the day'.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Still waiting for a chrome battery cover paid for and ordered in 1979 from one of those ilford high road shops . Advertised in “custom car” magazine. The dock strike was the favorite stalling excuse spouted , never arrived or refund given . Ok, I know it was 44 years ago but it was almost a week’s wages back then 😫🤣👍

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
1979, that was probably customaid. Still got some 1970’s issues with their adverts in.
Being fairy local to me, I always went to the shop, never used their mail order service.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Rodley motors up north were also pretty good for bits and parts. Bought a few Chrysler motors off them, very reasonable prices and fully guaranteed.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I loved going to JWR at staples corner, bit of a bugger to park there under the flyover. Always found something extra to buy there.
went to that jwr shop at staples corner, we used to stay at my mate’s sister’s flat off bayswater road, when we came up to the kings road cruise a few times. Great days 🥹

BigVet

Supporting vendor
I find it surprising that a former CCCUK Chairman consistently recommends only one supplier, EMC Performance.

Chris Sale
I'm quite surprised no one has remarked about Chris Sale's comment regarding the former CCCUK Chairman. I've waited patiently and I am sure Rich Rogers has also been watching closely. Well Chris, for what it's worth, here's our input. As a company we pride ourselves on customer relations, we always have. If someone calls us we spend time with them, I would hope we're always friendly and if they're a newcomer, we go out of our way to welcome them to the Corvette fraternity. That applies if they're making a purchase or simply seeking advice. On a personal level, we've known Gavin at EMC for over 35 years and we know he operates to the same high standards as ourselves, always has, always will. Now, and I am sure there are many members who will agree, it has to be said that not all Corvette part suppliers have this same approach towards customer service. So, returning to the former CCCUK Chairman and Westlothianvette's original question, "Looking for the best supplier in the UK". It should go without comment that no one man can be better placed to answer this question than the former CCCUK Chairman himself. No one in the UK has had access to such customer feedback in the Corvette world. The question was a simple one and the answer was immediately forthcoming from a man in the know based on his many years experience. I hope that puts your mind at rest Chris. Regards, Dromey Corvettes.

Last edited by a moderator:

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Lots of ideas been put forward on this thread but amazingly no mention of Keith at Eurovettes. Someone who's been a member of this club longer than most and a supporting advertiser.

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Gentlemen, this thread is an opportunity to recommend those suppliers from whom you've had good personal service. As such, I'm happy to sanction positive comments, but please be aware of the website terms and rules which are there in the best interests of the club and all our members. Posts which are deemed to have breached those rules will be deleted without notice.

Peter Sansbury
Chairman.

Last edited:

Chris Sale

CCCUK Member
To which I say ‘Amen’.

It is unfortunate that many reading Mr Dromey’s post above would think that my original post was aimed at EMC. Ross posted what I think is an excellent response to ‘westlothianvette’s question on 21st Feb, and in my opinion this should be a model for responses to similar questions in the future.

Chris Sale

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
And not let’s forget you can only post positive comments about suppliers. Anything negative seems to be not allowed.