Redundant anti-smog gear

M

M.Ruds

Over lockdown/furlough I've been slowly working through some issues on my '78 which I've owned now for about 18 months.

My car has had MSD fuel injection and electronic ignition systems fitted by a previous owner, and as part of that fitment, most of the anti-smog gear has been removed, but while underneath checking all the brake and fuel lines I came across the fuel tank vapour canister and it's plumbing.

The canister has one pipe coming in from the fuel tank, and four outlets. Three of the outlet hoses have been connected together using T pieces and then go via a single hose to the breather on the left hand rocker cover, then on to a vacuum port on fuel injection body. The remaining outlet pipe isn't connected to anything and seems to be allowing fresh air to be sucked in through the canister.

So, my question is this - Does my car need this fuel vapour canister, or is it now redundant, and can I remove it? If it can be removed I presume that the vacuum port on the fuel injection body should be connected straight to the rocker cover breather, and the vapour line from the fuel tank can be blocked. If it needs to remain, I'm guessing the open line to the canister should be blocked to allow the intake to maintain a vacuum.

Any words of wisdom would be gratefully received.

Regards,

Mark R

Oneball

CCCUK Member
You need a vent for the tank so you can’t just block that.

The canister shouldn’t just be open to the air but it shouldn’t be connected straight to the manifold either as they’re should be a valve in the way.

Some one will know a good solution. Have a google for carbon canister delete.

Alben78

Well-known user
For simplicity get a vented fuel tank cap from an early car, fit that to the tank then remove and block all the other lines from or to the canister. That will of course vent any evaporated fuel to the atmosphere rather than recirculate it via the carb and burn it in the engine. Your choice and nobody will notice. Not sure if just drilling a hole in the existing cap would suffice as a vent?