Reverse lock out query

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Appologies for the flood of queries but new owner still finding my way around the car. You guys are so helpful and patient. Did all manual box vettes have the reverse shift lock or was it an option? Do people find it hard to engage, disengage? My normal clutch pressure allows me to shift between all 4 gears, but if I want reverse I have to almost push the clutch pedal through the carpet. Was wondering if People advise trying to adjust clutch pedal to give more throw. The vendor says to leave it as it changes gear perfectly when driven, it is just reverse that needs more pedal pressure. I sometimes have trouble getting it in or out of the shift lock. How are other’s shift locks?

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Yep, can occasionally be tricky on mine too, both finding reverse and releasing the shift lock. (usually at a show when there’s people watching).
I’ve always considered it a characteristic of a fairly agricultural gearbox and shifter design.
But - I don’t think pushing the clutch extra hard is the answer though unless you’re marginal on disengagement in which case it will tend to ”grate“ the gear. If it won’t go into reverse, try momentarily going into first Then try reverse again, and stay off the brake so the car can move a bit to help the gear to engage.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Yep, can occasionally be tricky on mine too, both finding reverse and releasing the shift lock. (usually at a show when there’s people watching).
I’ve always considered it a characteristic of a fairly agricultural gearbox and shifter design.
But - I don’t think pushing the clutch extra hard is the answer though unless you’re marginal on disengagement in which case it will tend to ”grate“ the gear. If it won’t go into reverse, try momentarily going into first Then try reverse again, and stay off the brake so the car can move a bit to help the gear to engage.
Thanks forrest. Of, I am just playing in the garage at present so have only driven a hundred yards or so within the garden so hopefully will become more proficient once I get out on the road. Waiting for documents from dvla, rather frustrating 😩👍

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Shift Lock was not an option, I do not know but could the difficulty be to wear or incorrect adjustment on the Levers that operate the Box?

Roscobbc

Perhaps get underneath the car and check-out the reverse shifter rod. One advantage with the Hurst aftermarket shifter is that the 'gate' has really secure, heavy duty bolts as 'end-stops' for the gate - meaning that 'energetic' rowing through the 'gate' has does not damage anything - one of the early changes I made to mine which really improved the shift quality compared with the old worn out stock shifter.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Ok thanks, it does have a period hurst aftermarket shifter fitted so hopefully all good, I will have a look underneath when I can 3D9133D2-3665-4496-AA46-FCEDE833C86A.png

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Most H-pattern Hurst shifters don’t have a reverse lock. Just a stronger spring.

The ones that do have a red handle.
B6EC8686-747B-4C09-B5A9-A7E7605806CA.jpeg

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Most H-pattern Hurst shifters don’t have a reverse lock. Just a stronger spring.

The ones that do have a red handle.
Okay, spring option would look more suitable for a road car. Hurst shifter...another (expensive) thing on my wish list!

Will a Hurst be going on your racer?

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I have a Hurst shifter on my 68 manual too. Very handy stuff. I don't generally have problems with reverse on mine. The only minor issue I have with mine is when I'm being more "progressive / enthusiastic" down the road, I sometimes have fourth gear not slot in properly and it pops back to neutral. I blame it on my gearchanges though, as it only rarely happens.

Roscobbc

You'll see a 5/16" or 3/8" bolts and locknust (relative to the gear selected) at the front and rear of the gate (accessibility is best from console) - however Hurst shifter new new comes with a nylon rod that you insert through respective holes in shifter arms THEN adjust shifter rods to length accordingly when in neutral Its a small drill size (5/32" or something similar) - theoretically that's all you need to do - reality however means thatwe er and tear on other items like shifter arms coming out of transmission can affect adjustment. Mine has a tendency to slip out of 1st gear on over-run - always done it - can't adjust it - simply live with it......

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Okay, spring option would look more suitable for a road car. Hurst shifter...another (expensive) thing on my wish list!

Will a Hurst be going on your racer?

Yep one on there already.

You'll see a 5/16" or 3/8" bolts and locknust (relative to the gear selected) at the front and rear of the gate (accessibility is best from console) - however Hurst shifter new new comes with a nylon rod that you insert through respective holes in shifter arms THEN adjust shifter rods to length accordingly when in neutral Its a small drill size (5/32" or something similar) - theoretically that's all you need to do - reality however means thatwe er and tear on other items like shifter arms coming out of transmission can affect adjustment. Mine has a tendency to slip out of 1st gear on over-run - always done it - can't adjust it - simply live with it......

Slipping out of gear is an internal fault in the box. The shifter doesn’t hold anything in place when in gear.