Rochester E4ME Quadrajet carb on a 1980 California spec C3

stox258

CCCUK Member
I have a 1980 C3 which developed a problem where it would idle but when you tried to accelerate it would bog down. I bought a rebuild kit as I thought it may have been the seal on the pump assembly. I am quite good with stuff and stripped and rebuilt it but it now starts to fire and then stops and no matter how much you crank it it will not start. I think it maybe the throttle position sensor has failed but I am not sure. There is lots of info online about Rochester Carbs but hardley anything about the E4ME version as they made so few.

Does anybody on here have any tips about what might be the problem, or, who is the best person around to try to sort it out for me? I live in Warwickshire

stox258

CCCUK Member
I have, there is lots on Rochester carbs but not a great deal on the E4ME. If you have any links please post them on here

Stingray

CCCUK Member
The words "computer controlled" strike terror into my heart. I suspect you'll need to find someone with hands-on experience of how the electronics and mechanicals interact to get it sorted.

Good luck with the fix.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I have a 1980 C3 which developed a problem where it would idle but when you tried to accelerate it would bog down. I bought a rebuild kit as I thought it may have been the seal on the pump assembly. I am quite good with stuff and stripped and rebuilt it but it now starts to fire and then stops and no matter how much you crank it it will not start. I think it maybe the throttle position sensor has failed but I am not sure. There is lots of info online about Rochester Carbs but hardley anything about the E4ME version as they made so few.

Does anybody on here have any tips about what might be the problem, or, who is the best person around to try to sort it out for me? I live in Warwickshire
Where abouts in Warwickshire are you ? If you cannot fix the problem yourself using Youtube etc . give Williams Brothers Racing a call on 01327 220777 and speak to Dan or Nic . They are very Chevrolet engine savvy and might be able to help . They are just over the border in West Northants in Bugbrooke . Good luvk getting sorted .

stox258

CCCUK Member
1687080139699.png

I have workwd out how it works and the car is now and it now appears to run OK apart from the idle.

I have a few questions, in the picture above it shows a very small bore vacuum pipe (circled), that is sucking, but i am not sure where it goes. There is also an earth strap (square) that I can see but does not obvioulsy connect to anything. There are also 2 resitors/capaciors (not sure) that don't appear to do anything and also one appears to be broken? Any ideas?

I am also after a dwell/scan meter to test the Solenoid switch on the carb and also the distributor dwell angle, what is the best one (as cheap as possible) that I could get in the UK and use to check? I have looked on line at meters but they only seem to show the Corvette from 1981. They say the ALDL connector is under the ash tray but it isn't.
Did the California version have the "Computer Command Control" system with the ALDL interfaces to the Engine Control Module (ECM), im pretty sure it did.

Any help would be gratefully received.