Shifter boot query

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi , orrible in cornwall today , am going to sit in the 72 and look at the shifter rattle. Can i remove the shifter boot without removing the shifter surround plate , just want a quick look at the shift handle fixing bolts . 👍

antijam

CCCUK Member
The shifter boot is glued to a rectangular frame that in turn is screwed to the underside of the shifter console cover plate with 4 horizontal screws. You can remove the screws easily but to remove the boot you have to remove the console cover plate, and to do that you have to remove the air control knobs. These are secured by tiny grubscrews under the knob.

This might help.

Roscobbc

Perhaps just remove fixings for leather gaiter and 'roll' it 'inside-out' over the shifter. Hopefully you'll have enough room for access.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Two options there then , thanks all 🤣
Well , I took out the shifter surround, then the inner plate that holds the rubber shifter gaiter. The two bolts that hold the shift lever to the shifter body are tight . There is a larger nut and bolt going left to right through the shifter mechanism which is tight , there is some side play and I can see its is shimmed already so pos needs a thicker shim, I didnt want to remove that bolt as it goes through trhee or four levers within the shifter. I think this could pos be the source of the rattle. Wondering if I can cut some shin steel into a shape where I can slide it down into position to take up the play?