snowy london

Roscobbc

Jeez Uncle Albert - would you really risk freezing-off your 'credenials' on that Enfield 'one lunger' or Beezer A50/65........

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Think you need a BIGGER snow shovel ! :)

This one used today going through the Donners Pass, in mountains of Nevada

Known for people eating each other in the 1800s, getting caught there
Wonder what kind of train that is and how many engines it has ?
How do they see the tracks when they turn :)

snowplow2.jpgtrainplow.jpg

Roscobbc

As you'll have probably noticed Jon even a couple of inches of snowfall is enough to bring the UK road, rail and air networks to a standstill. Is that because the networks are so overused and overcrowded the systems can't cope? - because the operating authorities just won't 'invest' in preventative systems and equipment to deal with it. Certainly part of the issue on the road networks must be letting drivers 'loose' in poor weather when the driver individually hasn't got the first clue about driving in frosty, icy, snowy or even wet conditions......?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
As you'll have probably noticed Jon even a couple of inches of snowfall is enough to bring the UK road, rail and air networks to a standstill. Is that because the networks are so overused and overcrowded the systems can't cope? - because the operating authorities just won't 'invest' in preventative systems and equipment to deal with it. Certainly part of the issue on the road networks must be letting drivers 'loose' in poor weather when the driver individually hasn't got the first clue about driving in frosty, icy, snowy or even wet conditions......?

Well then,
Here, we will let you borrow this will do a nice job, take like 20 minutes to clear all of the UK :)

Oneball

CCCUK Member
The only country I’ve ever been stuck in because of snow was Switzerland, for 4 days. Go figure!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Well then,
Here, we will let you borrow this will do a nice job, take like 20 minutes to clear all of the UK :)

Now that`s what I call mega power to get the job done . Have a look on youtube for the British Film Institute`s ` Snow Drift at Bleath Gill - 1955 ` That`s how we did it in the UK in those days . No faffing about , just grit your teeth and get on with it ! The engine that was stranded for several days is a Brtish Railways Standard Class 2 Mixed Traffic Locomotive Number 78019 that survived to tell the tale and is now preserved in working order on the Great Central Railway where I am a volunteer and can still be seen plugging away when the snow falls . 78019-In-the-snow-in-February-2012-Alan-Weaver.jpg
As Roscobbc said , an inch of snow brings us to a standstill and all the schools close down . We are a bloody joke !!!

Roscobbc

Remember the big freeze of '63 - hadn't been going to secondary school too long - sea froze over, three months of subzero temperatures, permanently packed snow on side roads - don't recall one day lost from school. Heating (coke fired boilers) was always on in school - school milk was always delivered (often frozen) all buses and suburban trains seemed to be running OK, cars got around, us kids with bikes got about - parents got to work........

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Remember the big freeze of '63 - hadn't been going to secondary school too long - sea froze over, three months of subzero temperatures, permanently packed snow on side roads - don't recall one day lost from school. Heating (coke fired boilers) was always on in school - school milk was always delivered (often frozen) all buses and suburban trains seemed to be running OK, cars got around, us kids with bikes got about - parents got to work........
Oh yes indeed , I had just started secondary school in the August of `62 . Never missed a day of school , my dad never had a day off work . I walked about a mile and a half to school and he cycled about 4 miles to work in a Northampton shoe factory . We were all made of sterner stuff in those days .

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Interesting the video I posted there was not 1 but 2 of these cool trains, one further behind the front one to make wider cleared path
each having different types of plows and angles

antijam

CCCUK Member
You youngsters don't remember a real winter. It started in January 1947 and went on to the end of March with snowdrifts up to 15ft deep in some parts of the country. It was cold too, -21°C was recorded in Kent! I clearly remember sliding down our frozen drive on a tin tea tray chased happily by our bulldog towing his huge wooden kennel behind him ( he was tied to the kennel to try and stop him humping the postman - it wasn't very effective). I went to school in Lincoln then and we lived about 5 miles away. Swayed by my mother's protestations that I couldn't walk to school through the snowdrifts (they were 8ft deep at the back of the house) my father and I made the trip in his ex wartime Willys jeep - I've had a very strong aversion to the cold ever since!

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Grab a beer and a pizza and watch these bad asses !
That's right dummies stand over here :)
Wonder if they use tire chains ? :)

Finally, over 100-year-old steam engines pulling through the mountain blasting the snow

Roscobbc

When we moved-in to our current house (some 30 or so years ago) it was Valentines Days and we had a major snowfall a day or so before. I was about 10/12 degrees below zero centigrade on the day. We only need to move less than half a mile but it was all untreated side roads with three foot or so of packed snow. My the modern front wheel drive daily drive struggled with the conditions. The small RWD Transit 30 cwt Luton van I hired to move our gear with it skinny double rear wheels coped fine in the conditions - as did 'er indoors's PB Cresta with its 5.60" section cross ply tyres. My '71 429 SCJ Mustang had 295/50 section rear tyres, initially of concern.....but with its detroit locker rear axle it actually proved to be the easiest of the bunch to move to the new gaff!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Photos I came across taken in the winter of 1963 . Was this really Britain ??? And we are all whinging about how cold it is today . :(320034816_5660894493995915_1024263923472023897_n.jpg320193846_1178094356181982_3403157314275085238_n.jpg

phild

CCCUK Member
I remember that and also the dreadful smog's we had back then. Where I was brought up, North Wales, the old house we had had lead water pipes, lead based paint and liberal use of DDT on our vegetable patch. What with that and leaded petrol its a wonder I survived! :):)