Solar charger ?.

Jimmy

Regular user
Iv'e just had to order a new battery for my C5,I'm thinking of buying a solar charger to help my battery.After reading some posts i assume the cigarette lighter is live when the ignition is off,it must be or a solar charger wouldn't do anything at all.Would it.

BobbyV8

CCCUK Member
Iv'e just had to order a new battery for my C5,I'm thinking of buying a solar charger to help my battery.After reading some posts i assume the cigarette lighter is live when the ignition is off,it must be or a solar charger wouldn't do anything at all.Would it.
Yes the cigarette lighter is live all the time. Mine is permanently on an optimiser as C5's like full voltage 👍

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Yes the cigarette lighter is live all the time. Mine is permanently on an optimiser as C5's like full voltage 👍
Does that apply to both Bob? There's the one on the console next to the ashtray and the one inside the middle armrest/pocket?

BobbyV8

CCCUK Member
Does that apply to both Bob? There's the one on the console next to the ashtray and the one inside the middle armrest/pocket?
Both on mine are live all the time. I plug mine into the armrest one as there is a channel for the cable to go out of so you can close the armrest, just looks neater 😁. I got a fused socket, for safety, off of eBay to plug in and run the cable out of the door shut near the wing mirror as it doesn't trap the cable there. Also put staggered male and female bullet connectors on the ends to connect to the optimiser so can't connect wires wrong way round 👍

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Or as I did for my C5 is used a pair of magnet wiring connectors
Hardwired directly to the battery post to lower right fender
So can leave hood shut and simply walk by, and the male connector attached to solar panel or a battery tender mates to the female one attracts each other
magnetconnector.jpg

Jimmy

Regular user
Both on mine are live all the time. I plug mine into the armrest one as there is a channel for the cable to go out of so you can close the armrest, just looks neater 😁. I got a fused socket, for safety, off of eBay to plug in and run the cable out of the door shut near the wing mirror as it doesn't trap the cable there. Also put staggered male and female bullet connectors on the ends to connect to the optimiser so can't connect wires wrong way round 👍
Good idea,that's what i'm gonna do soon as the weather improves.

Jimmy

Regular user
My C5 has to live outside on my driveway,soon as some nice weather arrives i'm gonna install an outside socket instead of running a long extention lead through my letterbox.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
My late father used one for about 8 years on one of his Camaro’s that lived on his driveway. He didn’t pay much for it, bought it on eBay. Plugged it into the cigarette lighter and left it on the dashboard. The car never got a flat battery, never failed to start. He always said it was one of the best things he ever bought.

Jimmy

Regular user
My late father used one for about 8 years on one of his Camaro’s that lived on his driveway. He didn’t pay much for it, bought it on eBay. Plugged it into the cigarette lighter and left it on the dashboard. The car never got a flat battery, never failed to start. He always said it was one of the best things he ever bought.
Yes,but i live in northern england,halve the year's cold and dark and the other cloudy and raining.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I have been testing this solar panel for 1 year now that is designed to maintain vehicle battery charge
Designed to not overcharge battery and has worked fine in rain, solid clouds,
in 100 F degree Texas sun to below zero degree in winter

Does fine with cloudy days as indirect lighting is OK, putting out about 13.5 volts
Suction cups allow mounting inside the cabin area or as I do on top of the hood for my old Caddy

solarcharger.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Dads old one is probably dinosaur technology compared to todays versions, but it worked fine. My mom doesn’t use her little Ford Fiesta much now, but it’s plugged into the cigarette lighter and placed on the dashboard like dad used it. Still working. ( Tiptree Essex based) so typical English weather.

Jimmy

Regular user
I have been testing this solar panel for 1 year now that is designed to maintain vehicle battery charge
Designed to not overcharge battery and has worked fine in rain, solid clouds,
in 100 F degree Texas sun to below zero degree in winter

Does fine with cloudy days as indirect lighting is OK, putting out about 13.5 volts
Suction cups allow mounting inside the cabin area or as I do on top of the hood for my old Caddy

View attachment 25466
I'll have another look on Amazon,see what they've got.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The one I have I got at Amazon, it was designed for maintaining vehicle battery
$30 US
It comes with a cable to hardware to battery, or via clamp clips or plug into cigarette lighter
It is about 12 inches square