Some C3 'trivia'

Roscobbc

One thing some Corvette owners may not realise is that the most aerodynamic 'early' Corvette is not perhaps the most obvious choice, the C3......but the C2!
Reality was that the C3 Vette was designed more to 'look' aerodynamic rather than to actually be 'aerodynamic'. IMHO is certainly achieved the required aerodynamic 'look', but with a CD factor slightly higher than the previous C2 model. Strange but true.
The shortcomings of the earlier C3's were adressed in later cars, especially the final models. Ask any early Corvette owner who has been 'brave' (or 'foolhardy') enough to attempt high speeds - the gradual feeling of disconnection of the front-end and effectiveness of any steering effort on the road surface due to front-end lift as one accelerates at 110/115mph through 120 and 130/135 and higher is VERY noticable......presumably corrected on later cars with their air-dam front spoilers. This old Motor Trend article, 'Cracking The Salt' in a Gale Band modifiedearly C3 speedster highlights the issues and makes interesting reading. 1968 Chevrolet Sundowner Corvette - Cracking The Salt

phild

CCCUK Member
One thing some Corvette owners may not realise is that the most aerodynamic 'early' Corvette is not perhaps the most obvious choice, the C3......but the C2!
Reality was that the C3 Vette was designed more to 'look' aerodynamic rather than to actually be 'aerodynamic'. IMHO is certainly achieved the required aerodynamic 'look', but with a CD factor slightly higher than the previous C2 model. Strange but true.
The shortcomings of the earlier C3's were adressed in later cars, especially the final models. Ask any early Corvette owner who has been 'brave' (or 'foolhardy') enough to attempt high speeds - the gradual feeling of disconnection of the front-end and effectiveness of any steering effort on the road surface due to front-end lift as one accelerates at 110/115mph through 120 and 130/135 and higher is VERY noticable......presumably corrected on later cars with their air-dam front spoilers. This old Motor Trend article, 'Cracking The Salt' in a Gale Band modifiedearly C3 speedster highlights the issues and makes interesting reading. 1968 Chevrolet Sundowner Corvette - Cracking The Salt

I remember, when doing the Top Dog program a few years back with my C2. We were at Bruntingthorpe, for the action stuff, and whilst nailing it down the main straight there was quite a worrying amount of front end lift. :)

Roscobbc

I remember, when doing the Top Dog program a few years back with my C2. We were at Bruntingthorpe, for the action stuff, and whilst nailing it down the main straight there was quite a worrying amount of front end lift. :)
The 'trick' in the day (and certainly with C3's - not sure about C2's) was to 'drop' the front-end a couple of inches.......it would 'present' the front-end of the car at a far better angle to the oncoming airflow.....forcing the it over the top surface of the car rather than under it (and creating the front-end lift issue) - one only needs to look at the side profile of an early C3 and compare with a section of an aircraft wing to realise what the problem is. Interestingly it was only after reading the article on the speedster above that I realised that the C3 'lip' on its ass-end provides positive downforce.......I guess that plus the 'dropped' nose gives a far more balanced level of stability at high speeds.
48c4b44d41750ef00ea3d7a7f4118ddf-1400x1050.jpg
airplane-wing-cross-section-body-lifting-forces-48039697.jpg

Last edited:

jukebox

CCCUK Member
Hi I still have that car.
Bought in 2009

Roscobbc

Odd thing......when I was 'running' my '68 with rather old BFG 235/60/15's it was very sketchy at high speeds - it certainly seemed to get 'air' under the front end. When I changed to low profile wider 18's with a larger diameter (27") and slightly higher ride height that 'feeling' largely disappeared - not saying it was stable but was certainly better planted on the front end.

Last edited:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Odd thing......when I was 'running' my '68 with rather old BFG 235/60/15's it was very sketchy at high speeds - it certainly seemed to get 'air' under the front end. When I changed to low profile wider 18's with a larger diameter (27") and slightly higher ride height that 'feeling' largely disappeared - not saying it was stable but was certainly better planted on the front end.
I had similar with the old BFGs that came fitted to my '68 when I had it imported. It felt a bit sketchy starting around 50 or 60 I think. After the new 17 inch wheels and tyres put on, no issues at all. I put it down to old rubber not being good. I've not driven the car particular fast ever (yes officer, I know 70mph is the limit.... :sneaky: ), so haven't felt the car lifting at the higher speeds people have quoted above.

Got me thinking though - I wonder what the top speed of my base model 327 is? Probably not high enough to worry about it lifting :ROFLMAO: