Spark plug follow up

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Between the showers today I tackled changing out the spark plugs on the 72. I can confirm you can change the plugs from the top , the drivers side is a lot tighter than the passenger side on mine as i dont have air con. Need a good selection of uj’s extentions , swivel head ratchets and the most useful the circular finger ratchet thingy . The old plugs looked lightly soiled instead of nice dry light brown but no serious fouling or oil , not surprising with the number of start stops in and out of garage. During the last 3 months . One had a smaller gap than the others .
anyway one must have been weak under load as I now have an eight cylinder vette again with a smooth and instant pick up. Bring on the next dry day for a serious test run . Thanks for all helpful advice , especially the one to use a bit of electrical grease on the contact where the plug cap sits as they were dry and sooo tight. Love a bit of preventative maintainence👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Glad you got it sorted Mad4 . It is real fiddle though innit ? I had the loan of a magnetic plug socket which helped no end getting the plugs into the threads working blind . When I had my Marcos V8 it was impossible to the back two plugs on either side without getting the car up in the air .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Glad you got it sorted Mad4 . It is real fiddle though innit ? I had the loan of a magnetic plug socket which helped no end getting the plugs into the threads working blind . When I had my Marcos V8 it was impossible to the back two plugs on either side without getting the car up in the air .
So smooth now to what it was 👍

kentvette

CCCUK Member
Its interesting how the simple things make an improvement!

I change/check the plugs during the annual service, so the car is on ramps or a lift, which means I usually opt to do the hard to reach plugs from underneath. I'll have get on of those 14mm plug sockets with hex flats - I have them on my larger plug socket....