St mawes show

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, I took the 72 for a run down to “classics on the Quay” at St Mawes yesterday. It is an annual event that attracts some very expensive and exclusive classics. It is jointly sponsored by Bonhams and as I do some oxford runs and bike collections for them I get to take a vehicle down as they have a local car section. The 72 ran really well and held its own amongst some very exclusive machinery, getting lots of attention and compliments. Overall winner went to a 71 ferrari daytona spyder , older section was won by a gorgeous frazer nash . A very enjoyable afternoon with cream tea in the sun too. BC1F77B3-113B-4CAA-A9D8-AE91206D5367.jpegD90DCDAA-CFBD-448B-B65E-59B8689FF7D9.jpegBC1F77B3-113B-4CAA-A9D8-AE91206D5367.jpeg76CA13AC-ED3C-414D-B1E4-899AE0E8F3EE.jpeg766A5FB9-217A-4A9E-9981-63E92305B3E6.jpeg7A2678C2-0DCF-487C-BA8F-3429453F229D.jpegD653EAF9-A954-43A0-8BFB-F5AC4E0096A0.jpegDC28B014-14A5-41B4-9401-F82B95F09F03.jpeg

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Fantastic ! What a great looking day out in fab weather . St Mawes is a beautiful place and I am sure there is no shortage of well heeled folks down there with very posh motors ! The Vette looks right at home . (y)

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Fantastic ! What a great looking day out in fab weather . St Mawes is a beautiful place and I am sure there is no shortage of well heeled folks down there with very posh motors ! The Vette looks right at home . (y)
Yes it was fun, I had taken the buggy a few times pre covid but the vette drew lots of attention. I was looking at the 2mil £ plus , daytona and they have a sort of home built look to parts , with 1” square box frame with panels tacked to them , gorgeous lines and sound tho , one of my favorite shaped cars. 👍

antijam

CCCUK Member
Yes it was fun, I had taken the buggy a few times pre covid but the vette drew lots of attention. I was looking at the 2mil £ plus , daytona and they have a sort of home built look to parts , with 1” square box frame with panels tacked to them , gorgeous lines and sound tho , one of my favorite shaped cars. 👍
Although for the most part undeniably pretty, Classic Italians seem to concentrate on the engines and running gear with the bodywork often receiving less attention. A local garage had a Countach in a little while ago; under the skin some of the construction had a definite kit car look about it.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Although for the most part undeniably pretty, Classic Italians seem to concentrate on the engines and running gear with the bodywork often receiving less attention. A local garage had a Countach in a little while ago; under the skin some of the construction had a definite kit car look about it.
Yes , I saw a 308 gt4 on a ramp and they seem to love a bit of 2” box section !

Roscobbc

Problem with comparing Italian 'classics' with American (or British) classic is that things have moved-on considerably over the last 40 or 50 years. I recall a buddy with a Ferarri 512 and think about other supposed 'Supercars' from the period and the interiors were so 'tacky' and almost TVR like. I think 'our' Vettes have stood up quite well over the years in comparison.......there are arguable exceptions perhaps......later C3's seemed to loose some of the earlier interior style. Later C4's had a much inproved dash layout compared with the introductory years. C5's and C6's had far, far more 'toys' than earlier car but perhaps the interior quality comparisons against other European cars was starting to count against the Vette?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Maybe it was a replica , I certainly thought that we I first saw your photo . Convertibles were the most common version of replica / kit car Daytonas as I think Ferrari didn`t make that many Daytona soft tops . Argueably the most famous replica was the Miami Vice car that I believe was made by Chriskraft .

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Maybe it was a replica , I certainly thought that we I first saw your photo . Convertibles were the most common version of replica / kit car Daytonas as I think Ferrari didn`t make that many Daytona soft tops . Argueably the most famous replica was the Miami Vice car that I believe was made by Chriskraft .

I think there were 7 RHD Daytona Spyders. Chassis is a central back bone of tubes with some box for sills and floor, I think the floors are fibreglass, they were on 275s and Countachs too.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Not a replica, apparently some spyders werecreated from coupes and obviously dont make as much money. I remember an autocraft spyder replica selling in the last couple of years at bonhams for 400K ish , i may have it in an old catalogue somewhere, it was previously registered to the owner of a prestige garage in mid cornwall,( think helicopters and lightning jets!) 😉

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Not a replica, apparently some spyders werecreated from coupes and obviously dont make as much money. I remember an autocraft spyder replica selling in the last couple of years at bonhams for 400K ish , i may have it in an old catalogue somewhere, it was previously registered to the owner of a prestige garage in mid cornwall,( think helicopters and lightning jets!) 😉
Did I read that the miami vice spyder was corvette based 🤔

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Ferrari were quite peeved that a replica Ferrari was getting such screen time that after the first series of Miami Vice they lent them two black Testarossas for filming but the director didn’t like the way the black cars looked at night so had them repainted white.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
If it was one of the magnificent 7 it would be worth somewhere in the region of £3 million plus. Lovely car even if it was originally a coupe chopped into a convertible. Always liked Daytonas in that metallic blue.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
If it was one of the magnificent 7 it would be worth somewhere in the region of £3 million plus. Lovely car even if it was originally a coupe chopped into a convertible. Always liked Daytonas in that metalliblue.
At one of the shows pre covid damon hill turned up in a yellow frog eye, and nick mason in a 50’s testarossa👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
In my opinion the Daytona was the last good looking car Ferrari produced . And a 275 GTB is pure sex on wheels to my eyes and the Dino has to be the prettiest car ever built.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi
In my opinion the Daytona was the last good looking car Ferrari produced . And a 275 GTB is pure sex on wheels to my eyes and the Dino has to be the prettiest car ever built.
yes , but the spyder over the berlinetta,, the corvette looks equally as good in both forms . 👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi

yes , but the spyder over the berlinetta,, the corvette looks equally as good in both forms . 👍
Agreed , but back to those damned red cars , the P3/4 has to be the most stunning race car ever ! A mate of mine who was a brilliant engineer built an absolutely stunning replica powered by a big block ford V8 , it was gourgeous !ferrari-330-p3-4.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
My friends dad traded in his Daytona coupe for the then new 365BB Berlinetta Boxer in 1974. The Daytona was a couple of years old at the time, he bought it new. Traded it back to Colonel Ronnie hoare at Maronello . He’s still got the Boxer, hasn’t been started for 30 odd years. But, it’s better than money in the bank, but the Daytona would have been the better one to keep. At the time front engine was “old hat” and the new 365BB was mid engine like the Miura
I remember the day he bought it home, we as car mad teenagers thought it was fantastic

antijam

CCCUK Member
This is a piccie taken a few years ago after my one and only drive in a Dino (Targa)......

Dino02.jpg

It wasn't just pretty - it was one hell of a drive too! :):):)(y)

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Wow, it’s got the ultra rare headlamp covers, and it’s a “flares and chairs” one.
( flared arches and Daytona seats)