Stalling on tick over

CANDYAMSAN

CCCUK regional rep
Hi, just got C3 1977...took her out yesterday and she was misfiring a bit until she got warmed up. Took her out today, stalls on tick over and whenever you have to stop and misfiring slightly on driving.....hubby is a mechanic but just wondering if its a common fault?

Roscobbc

Hi, just got C3 1977...took her out yesterday and she was misfiring a bit until she got warmed up. Took her out today, stalls on tick over and whenever you have to stop and misfiring slightly on driving.....hubby is a mechanic but just wondering if its a common fault?
all part and parcel of a new 'acquisition' - unless you have a recent record of serviced and replaced items I'd be tempted to renew some vitals - perhaps starting with a set of plug leads and at least spark plug cleaning/re-gapping or replacing if cruddy. If it still missfires/stalls perhaps a re-build kit of new gaskets and seals for carb. If specific spark plugs are oiled or fouled-up further investigation will be needed.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Candyamsan ,
Definitely go down route Roscobb suggests . I had the same on my C3 when first had it . Misfire and stalling usually on a loaded throttle pulling away . New plugs and leads cured it . What carb does run ? Mine has a 4 barrel Holley and getting that set right helped no end too .

Roscobbc

Could be idle is set too low - if it stalls when drive is selected. Idle speed and idle mixture controls are usually adjusted when in drive with a/c if fitted on (and possibly headlights on main beam) to 'load-up' engine/transmission.

CANDYAMSAN

CCCUK regional rep
Hi Candyamsan ,
Definitely go down route Roscobb suggests . I had the same on my C3 when first had it . Misfire and stalling usually on a loaded throttle pulling away . New plugs and leads cured it . What carb does run ? Mine has a 4 barrel Holley and getting that set right helped no end too .
Thank you..she has the same Carb....has developed another problem now so is going back to the garage I got her and they are going to sort her all out which is brilliant!!!

CANDYAMSAN

CCCUK regional rep
Could be idle is set too low - if it stalls when drive is selected. Idle speed and idle mixture controls are usually adjusted when in drive with a/c if fitted on (and possibly headlights on main beam) to 'load-up' engine/transmission.
Hubby did adjust the idle yesterday and it was better but was basically stalling when you took foot off throttle for whatever reason.....going back to garage to get sorted so thats brilliant!!!

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
May be just a winter thing? Has the car been getting a lot less use over the winter , my beach buggy was doing the same, perfect when put away at end of the season and I was just starting it for 15 mins or so every 4/5 weeks , since then it would stall on tickover , ran it up the road a couple of days ago and its seems fine again, may just need a good old italian tune up, ie a good old blast up the road.👍 good luck