Starter Motor Recommendations

Alexm

CCCUK Member
Of all the jobs I’ve done on my vets over years, changing a starter motor with side pipe headers has to be the most challenging!
Holding it up with one hand and getting the bolts in is bad enough then you get to trying to wire it up, which you have to do from below! 😥
Yours is one of the most enjoyable projects posted on this site for years, mainly because of the amount of work your putting into it and your progress shows so quickly.
I’ve pretty much rebuilt every part of my 73, but it’s taken me 20 years?
Hope to see you racing when we can all get out.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Thanks

I was getting annoyed fitting and refitting the standard and one with the engine out, didn’t want to spend the cash as it was a new one but thought I dont want to do that often and standard ones get burnt out pretty easily with the extra compression.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Sorted, got a Powermaster one from Amazon
Which Powermaster one did you get? I bought a Powermaster SBC starter motor from Summit Racing a few years, which I clarified with Summit that it would fit mine prior to ordering, but it didn't fit my SBC. Had to get the original restored in the end.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Which Powermaster one did you get? I bought a Powermaster SBC starter motor from Summit Racing a few years, which I clarified with Summit that it would fit mine prior to ordering, but it didn't fit my SBC. Had to get the original restored in the end.

powermax plus, the powermaster website says it’s correct.

5D42184B-FBCD-4C0D-9182-49473DD9AA35.jpeg

Roscobbc

There are two types of starter motor fixings for SBC and BBC Chevies. The one above with parallel fixing holes (which also seems to be available as a 'mini-starter' too) and one with 'staggered' fixings (see below). I'm sure many will disagree with me - but from a mechanical point of view I think the 'mini-stater' has a basic flaw as the drive pinion shaft is not supported at one end, unlike like the standard starter (supported at both ends).
images

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
The Powermaster one Summit told me to get looks a lot like this. HOWEVER, there are apparently multiple versions that have different teeth counts and other such wizardry that past me (un-educated in the way of Vettes - few years ago now) knew nothing about. Hence asking Summit. Turns out the one I have is the one with the wrong teeth. Grrr....

Roscobbc

The Powermaster one Summit told me to get looks a lot like this. HOWEVER, there are apparently multiple versions that have different teeth counts and other such wizardry that past me (un-educated in the way of Vettes - few years ago now) knew nothing about. Hence asking Summit. Turns out the one I have is the one with the wrong teeth. Grrr....
Its all down to how many teeth on flywheel or flex plate - only two options I believe. Not suggesting that you count teeth on flywheel........someone clever will come on a tell us a simple way to identify what is needed...

Last edited:

Roscobbc

It is the same no. of teeth on the pinion used on starters for both 10.5" and 11" diameter flywheels/flex plates?

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I‘ve got this one from Summit on my 383 S/B, it seems fine so far.
Although branded as Summits own, it is actually a Hitachi. All the paperwork and instructions was Hitachi.

My original OEM starter motor had staggered fixings, but the block also had straight position threads. I think this is the case on a lot of blocks have both drilling’s. I went with a straight fixing one because it was cheaper for some reason.

EBCB3FBF-8C8F-4CC9-A7AE-4FD0B0C24AAF.png