Starting query

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Parked on the front in Falmouth today , a fellow walked up and commented on the car and asked if I was going to start it any time soon. I said I would so he could hear the rumble. Now whether i was a bit flustered but I turned the key and nothing , I thought I had the clutch in, again, nothing, then I thought Ah ! The door was wide open maybe a safety switch, then i thought does it need to be in neutral? Anyway , third time it stated as normal. I know it wont start if clutch pedal not down, but that is the only inhibitor isnt it ?. Seems fine again now , starts in gear , starts with door open, maybe my floormat was a bit under the clutch pedal so it wasnt down far enough. Any thoughts welcome, my key surround that you grip with thumb and forefinger is loose ish , maybe a bad contact ?

antijam

CCCUK Member
Mine's got a 50% chance of starting on the first turn of the key. There's usually a click from the solenoid if it doesn't so it's not the clutch safety switch. It's either a bad earth connection, a dodgy solenoid or the starter showing its age. So far I haven't been able to work up enough enthusiasm to find out. One day it's not going to start at all - probably in the most inconvenient place imaginable - which will then finally precipitate some action on my part....:sleep:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Mine's got a 50% chance of starting on the first turn of the key. There's usually a click from the solenoid if it doesn't so it's not the clutch safety switch. It's either a bad earth connection, a dodgy solenoid or the starter showing its age. So far I haven't been able to work up enough enthusiasm to find out. One day it's not going to start at all - probably in the most inconvenient place imaginable - which will then finally precipitate some action on my part....:sleep:
Hmm dont know, no click , just nothing. My z4m coupe started doing this and it was indeed the starter, sometimes clicked, sometimes nothing usually started after a few attempts, til it got to a point it just wouldnt . Changed the ignition switch at end of key barrel to eliminate it , it was starter. Will keep an eye on it. Bet the vette one is easier to get to than the bm😩

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Mine was doing a similar thing. Either nothing at all, or if I turned the key quickly from OFF to crank, the starter teeth slipped. Bought a new AC Delco starter & had the garage put it on. Didn't fix it! Transpired It was one wire in a block connector on the firewall, the small one from key to solenoid, it was in situ but barely making contact. Also the solenoid was slow due to dirt & lack of lubrication. Fixed wire, cleaned up original starter, & bingo, no problems. Now got a spare starter, LOL 😂

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Mine was doing a similar thing. Either nothing at all, or if I turned the key quickly from OFF to crank, the starter teeth slipped. Bought a new AC Delco starter & had the garage put it on. Didn't fix it! Transpired It was one wire in a block connector on the firewall, the small one from key to solenoid, it was in situ but barely making contact. Also the solenoid was slow due to dirt & lack of lubrication. Fixed wire, cleaned up original starter, & bingo, no problems. Now got a spare starter, LOL 😂
Thanks for the info , I will look at that wire / block👍

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Mines a 78 auto, don't know if all years wiring is the same, but I think most cars have an ignition wire from key to solenoid
Being an auto like mine is , there will be an inhibiter switch on the selector that only energises the starter when in PARK . I sometimes flustered myself in early days of owning it . Especially when in a hurry . Then I had intermittent start problems that got more frequent . I replaced the starter motor with lightweight high torque unit and it`s on the button ever since (y)

antijam

CCCUK Member
I'm pretty sure either my starter or solenoid are dodgy but I've a nasty feeling the starter doesn't come out without first removing the header.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Oooh ! that`ll be a bummer then :cautious: I `m off to bed now guys as I seem to have lost an hour somewhere and can`t find the damned thing anywhere :ROFLMAO:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
The Starter Motors on a C3 can easily suffer heat damage due to their proximity to Headers / Exhaust Manifold, always a good idea to use a Heat Shield between them, but do not use a Heat Blanket around the Starter, this will retain heat.
Small High Torque Starters are good and their electrical connection points can vary, good to be able to select one that has the Solenoid connections furthest away from the heat source

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Take heed of what Daytona says guys . Also the high torque starters being much smaller and lighter have more air gap around them from the block and headers / manifold down pipe . I also wrapped the exhaust from the manifold / pipe connection flange to beyond the footwell floor . It keeps the starter even cooler and stops heat coming up into cabin . Did both sides so my feet don`t get toasted either 😁

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Take heed of what Daytona says guys . Also the high torque starters being much smaller and lighter have more air gap around them from the block and headers / manifold down pipe . I also wrapped the exhaust from the manifold / pipe connection flange to beyond the footwell floor . It keeps the starter even cooler and stops heat coming up into cabin . Did both sides so my feet don`t get toasted either 😁
Owww... have you got any pictures of your exhaust wrap? I'm interested in that to reduce engine bay temps, but looking for someone who has done it so far.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Damn! only just got back from the workshop where I have tinkering with it today and just read this . I could have taken piccies . Wasn`t planning to go for a spin but having got there and found that the race car guys were over a Silverstone and the place was half empty and I could get the vette out without a monster shunt of race trucks and trailers , I went for a quick blast and then came back for a tinker . I will take some photos when next over there , maybe tomorrow . As an aside , she hasn`t turned a wheel in anger since last summer . I gave it a few churn overs on the starter to get oil around the engine , then a couple of pumps on the Holley before firing the ignition and she started sweet as a nut and settled into a nice grumbling V8 tick over . No coughs , splutters , back fires or hystrionics 😁

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Damn! only just got back from the workshop where I have tinkering with it today and just read this . I could have taken piccies . Wasn`t planning to go for a spin but having got there and found that the race car guys were over a Silverstone and the place was half empty and I could get the vette out without a monster shunt of race trucks and trailers , I went for a quick blast and then came back for a tinker . I will take some photos when next over there , maybe tomorrow . As an aside , she hasn`t turned a wheel in anger since last summer . I gave it a few churn overs on the starter to get oil around the engine , then a couple of pumps on the Holley before firing the ignition and she started sweet as a nut and settled into a nice grumbling V8 tick over . No coughs , splutters , back fires or hystrionics 😁
result👍Was very close to silverstone today, popped up to nhants to collect a motorcycle after my Oxford run. Then down to devon to collect a piano en route to cornwall ,

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The workshop is 20 miles north of Bicester but probably won`t be over there on Tuesday or Wednesday as weather forecast up this way is only 3 to 5 degrees C all day and the place is to chuffing cold to work in when it`s like that :(

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Owww... have you got any pictures of your exhaust wrap? I'm interested in that to reduce engine bay temps, but looking for someone who has done it so far.
Been over to the workshop again today and took these photos . You will see the new lightweight starter and it takes up far less space and is not so close the exhaust.DSCF2584.JPGDSCF2586.JPGDSCF2583.JPG