Starting your engine from cold

TimP

CCCUK Member
Thought this might be of interest... It's from Tyrrells's Classic Workshop channel on You Tube - a really good set of posts on (albeit somewhat expensive) classic cars and related topics. This is a general item about starting your classic from cold - a Lambo V12 engine (from a Miura) and an A series (from a special) are used as examples.

TCW - Starting from cold

JetJock

CCCUK Member
There's a technique somewhere for starting the LS engines that disables the fuel until after a few revolutions. I'll have to look it up and get back here.

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Yep. Found it. For the C6 - don't know about others.
At about 5:20.
Foot to the floor on the accelerator, it just turns without firing, so you can lube the top end. It sez 'ere...

I'm just about to go check it on mine.
If you never hear from me again, that'll be because all 8 pistons went through my garage roof and brought a passing Easyjet down onto my head...

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Yep. Works as advertised.
If you don't want to watch the video:

Clutch and accelerator both to the floor. Keep them both down there.

Hit the start button:
Engine cranks and keeps cranking. Doesn't fire.

When you've had enough of that

Release clutch:
Engine stops cranking.

Release accelerator.

Then start normally.

On a related point - there's an audible chuff noise on each start, as if there is an air starter unit or pneumatic unit starting the engine.
Is it? Or some kind of compression blow off valve? Or... Any ideas?

JetJock

CCCUK Member
Comments from under the youtube video:

"The last tip is not meant to pre-lubricate your engine. Its called clear flood mode, its meant to allow the fuel to exit the combustion chamber when it gets "Flooded" with fuel."

"What you call Lube mode is built into almost all modern cars and what it’s actually for unflooding an engine if your engine is flooded with fuel it will unflood it so it starts. I guess it could be used for this if you want. I know this because I worked at a car dealership for a long time and cars with almost dead batteries would flood the engine because they didn’t have enough power to start and this is how you would unflood them."