Steering wheel swap

Blockpower

CCCUK Member
Had anybody beefed up the skinny steering wheel on a C3 either by a replacement or the original being fettled some how?

I would like a thicker wheel.

Roscobbc

One of the first things I did when after getting my '68 (some twenty odd year ago) was to swap-out the OEM 16" steering wheel for a 12.5" dished aftermarket wheel.
Positives -
No further issues squeezing beer belly risking damage to gonads.
2. Power steering instead of being typical American fingertip light and needing to be rapidly 'twirled' if needing to correct a 'tail-out' scenario now has some weight to it and far quicker to react to 'unusual' situations.
3. Depending on your height/leg length etc if your car doesn't have a tilt/turn steering column you can source either a flat or dished wheel to suit your driving position.
4. 'Grip' on wheel is vastly improved
Negatives -
Major steering effort with non-power steered cars
2. Indicator stalk doesn't fall to hand (and looks a bit 'orphaned')
3. View of speedo and rev counter will most likely be obstructed.

drivers side interior Vette.jpg

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Had anybody beefed up the skinny steering wheel on a C3 either by a replacement or the original being fettled some how?

I would like a thicker wheel.
My C3 came with a 12.5 inch Grant dished wheel . It sits comfortably to hand and doesn`t obscure speedo ore rev counter even at a low driving position which I prefer . Being a 1980 model it has PAS so hauling on the wheel is not an issue .DSCF3026.JPG

Roscobbc

And there lies the advantage of a later car - tilt/tele steering column. See how the rim of mine is below the dashboard (and reason why speedo is obscured) and yours is a couple of inches above.......yet, no doubt can be lowered right off.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
And there lies the advantage of a later car - tilt/tele steering column. See how the rim of mine is below the dashboard (and reason why speedo is obscured) and yours is a couple of inches above.......yet, no doubt can be lowered right off.
The photo shows the steering wheel in its highest setting for ease of getting in and out the car . I drive it with the top of the rim level with the top of the dash . Speedo etc not obscured.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
One of the first things I did when after getting my '68 (some twenty odd year ago) was to swap-out the OEM 16" steering wheel for a 12.5" dished aftermarket wheel.
My 1968 came with this wheel when I bought it from the US, I suspect for a similar reason. Can get in ok etc, and thankfully for me the dials aren't obscured and I have power steering (and a tiny 327 small block):
20210625_175046.jpg

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
On a previous '72 the SW was wrapped in perforated vinyl or was it leather. Made all the difference to the stock skinny wheel

Edit to add a pic

Attachments

• 20170226_141127.jpg
    20170226_141127.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 3