Suspension Upgrades

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I’ve finally got round to bolting on some new suspension parts to both ends of the car with the aim of sharpening up the handling. All the items are from VanSteel in the US except the shock absorbers. I’m following a street/slalom combination recommended by VanSteel which will be similar to the Gymkhana option.

Out-going stock front coil springs (c~300lb?) replaced with 550lb coils. The new springs are much shorter making them a lot easier to install.
EC08117A-4547-41D6-9919-E75BAB1D17B8.jpeg

The stock 7/8” sway bar has come out and replaced with an 1 1/8” bar, only quarter of an inch bigger but looks so much beefier. This should stiffen up the cornering! See the brackets have a grease nipple which is a nice feature. All bushes are poly.

7EA6489A-4735-4AD8-A155-54E9049FEE3D.png

96E98E79-5423-4168-9D41-5EA7F76ED1C0.jpeg

To the rear, and this is where it is more exciting….The stock 10 leaf steel spring, rated at 196lbs has come out. It still looks okay from when I took it apart and painted it ten years ago, but is way too soft for my liking on corners and allows the car to squat too much under acceleration. They say steel springs get softer over time so it could be considerably less than 196lbs by now.

EA477818-86AA-4217-8099-FC3DDBCB75E8.jpeg

In goes a VanSteel 360lb rated low arch composite spring. The composite weighs 7lbs versus the 36lb steel spring. I knocked-up the aluminium plate which shields the composite from the exhausts where they pass under it. Composites don’t like too much heat. The new spring is so straight when unloaded that I didn’t need to do the “dangerous” procedure of jacking up the ends of the spring to get the link bolts in. In fact I had to do the opposite and lift the trailing arm a bit to get the bolts through, the bolts then dangled loose until the car was back on the ground. 8” link bolts and poly bushes.
4472E4D2-E8AF-4FB4-BDD4-C4CB7E784275.jpeg
53C003B6-1A3F-45D9-B04C-3FB3FC9D91AC.jpeg
2EDEECB4-339F-4189-9036-0033538AA4BB.jpeg

My car didn’t have a rear sway bar fitted so I’ve added a 5/8” bar. The tapped holes for the brackets are present in all chassis from the factory but tend to get concealed with paint and crud if not in use. I had to run a tap through to clean the threads. A bracket added to the top of the trailing arms connects the link bolts.

1BC052CC-4E4A-4101-A68D-812C562B240D.jpeg

I’ve fitted Bilstein B6 shock absorbers front and rear to replace KYB Gas-adjust units. The KYBs have been okay, perhaps slightly harsh, but also not suited to controlling the composite rear spring.

8A2C373D-8A4F-428E-B054-672044F9E8F9.jpeg

I‘m going to re-jig the brackets before refitting the exhausts so haven’t taken the car out for a drive yet. It should feel totally different with all these changes.

91CD14C4-08B7-4226-998C-6AAB13EBDDD3.png

Roscobbc

John - if the springs are to the same poundage as OEM 'Slalom' springs perhaps not so unforgiving?
OEM 'Slalom' option in terms of ride is far closer to the accepted 'European' standard of ride vs handling, although perhaps still a little 'soft' for some. I imagine Andy's uprated roll bars will address that.......?

johng

CCCUK Member
Ross - I was thinking that nearly doubling the spring rate has got to make for a significantly stiffer ride. But you might be right, it could just be that Andy's ride was very soft to start with. I haven't ever been in a Corvette without the Gymkhana suspension.

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
John - if the springs are to the same poundage as OEM 'Slalom' springs perhaps not so unforgiving?
OEM 'Slalom' option in terms of ride is far closer to the accepted 'European' standard of ride vs handling, although perhaps still a little 'soft' for some. I imagine Andy's uprated roll bars will address that.......?
Thats what I'm expecting Ross. Gymkhana steel rear spring was ~300lb, my composite is 360lb so 20% stiffer BUT composites are known to feel less harsh. I think the shocks make quite a difference to the ride experienced on any car, Bilsteins reviews score well there.

The sway bars....that is the big unknown until I drive it! The front one does look a bit scary, and the only thing I ever done to that car that actually adds weight (plus addition of rear sway).

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Ross - I was thinking that nearly doubling the spring rate has got to make for a significantly stiffer ride. But you might be right, it could just be that Andy's ride was very soft to start with. I haven't ever been in a Corvette without the Gymkhana suspension.
196 lb rear spring going cheap if you want it John!!

johng

CCCUK Member
196 lb rear spring going cheap if you want it John!!
No thanks Andy, I'm happy with the ride of my car. It's less stiff than I was expecting, having heard horror stories about the ride quality in a C3. (and I've got the 1-1/8" front sway bar as well)

Roscobbc

I found the Slalom (or F41 option) suspension just about right on my 68. Allowing reasonable comfort but not actually bottoming out even with the weight transfer from a seemingly 'softer' front springs when 'nailing' the gas pedal off the line. Not convinced that the Koni's I fitted are so good......
TBH the addition of 18" wheels and tyres did so much for cornering grip I could overlook any body
roll....

Last edited:

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
That is some serious kit you've got there, Andy! Looks very good indeed. From what you have said, I think it should work brilliantly. I have no experience of changing the springs, but I do know that putting the Bilstein B6s on my C5 improved the ride and, more importantly, keeps the wheels in contact with the ground over bumps etc where it would patter over them before reducing traction and confidence in equal measure. In normal driving, I found that the upgraded sway bars and these dampers helped turn-in too. When we, hopefully, get back to North Weald, I think you will be several seconds a lap quicker than last time and you weren't exactly hanging around then! Look forward to hearing how it all works once you are back on the road.(y)

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
Thats what I'm expecting Ross. Gymkhana steel rear spring was ~300lb, my composite is 360lb so 20% stiffer BUT composites are known to feel less harsh. I think the shocks make quite a difference to the ride experienced on any car, Bilsteins reviews score well there.

The sway bars....that is the big unknown until I drive it! The front one does look a bit scary, and the only thing I ever done to that car that actually adds weight (plus addition of rear sway).
I have Bilsteins all round, mine already had the thicker sway bar on front and i had the sway bar already on the rear, rear spring standard steel and when i had the bilsteins fitted and new bushes etc the difference was night and day, totally transformed it'll actually hustle a bend now rather than a brown pant moment. :)

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
I’ve finally got round to bolting on some new suspension parts to both ends of the car with the aim of sharpening up the handling. All the items are from VanSteel in the US except the shock absorbers. I’m following a street/slalom combination recommended by VanSteel which will be similar to the Gymkhana option.

Out-going stock front coil springs (c~300lb?) replaced with 550lb coils. The new springs are much shorter making them a lot easier to install.
View attachment 14895

The stock 7/8” sway bar has come out and replaced with an 1 1/8” bar, only quarter of an inch bigger but looks so much beefier. This should stiffen up the cornering! See the brackets have a grease nipple which is a nice feature. All bushes are poly.

View attachment 14897

View attachment 14898

To the rear, and this is where it is more exciting….The stock 10 leaf steel spring, rated at 196lbs has come out. It still looks okay from when I took it apart and painted it ten years ago, but is way too soft for my liking on corners and allows the car to squat too much under acceleration. They say steel springs get softer over time so it could be considerably less than 196lbs by now.

View attachment 14900

In goes a VanSteel 360lb rated low arch composite spring. The composite weighs 7lbs versus the 36lb steel spring. I knocked-up the aluminium plate which shields the composite from the exhausts where they pass under it. Composites don’t like too much heat. The new spring is so straight when unloaded that I didn’t need to do the “dangerous” procedure of jacking up the ends of the spring to get the link bolts in. In fact I had to do the opposite and lift the trailing arm a bit to get the bolts through, the bolts then dangled loose until the car was back on the ground. 8” link bolts and poly bushes.
View attachment 14901
View attachment 14902
View attachment 14903

My car didn’t have a rear sway bar fitted so I’ve added a 5/8” bar. The tapped holes for the brackets are present in all chassis from the factory but tend to get concealed with paint and crud if not in use. I had to run a tap through to clean the threads. A bracket added to the top of the trailing arms connects the link bolts.

View attachment 14904

I’ve fitted Bilstein B6 shock absorbers front and rear to replace KYB Gas-adjust units. The KYBs have been okay, perhaps slightly harsh, but also not suited to controlling the composite rear spring.

View attachment 14896

I‘m going to re-jig the brackets before refitting the exhausts so haven’t taken the car out for a drive yet. It should feel totally different with all these changes.

View attachment 14905
That spring looks well trick, nice job i know how long you've been waiting :)

Adtheman

CCCUK Member

View attachment 14895

View attachment 14897

View attachment 14898

View attachment 14900

View attachment 14901
View attachment 14902
View attachment 14903

View attachment 14904

View attachment 14896

View attachment 14905
i like your greasy nipples Andy :)

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
I have Bilsteins all round, mine already had the thicker sway bar on front and i had the sway bar already on the rear, rear spring standard steel and when i had the bilsteins fitted and new bushes etc the difference was night and day, totally transformed it'll actually hustle a bend now rather than a brown pant moment. :)
:ROFLMAO:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
My concern would be with the spring rate changes and the 2 sway bars that :

From a dead stop and launching the front now is so stiff that there will be little, or no weight shift from front to back
Then less weight on rear tire surface to ground so more wheel spin
Front looks way stiffer than rears and with rear sway bar having under steer in cornering

How did they decide on total spring and swap bars front/rear to assure suspension was balanced ?

On my C4 ZR-1 I had to install and testrun different rate of springs to get the center of gravity balanced as
I canned the leaf springs and went with coil overs and custom designed sway bars.

My project for that :

Major suspension changes

At least with coil overs, I was allowed to shift the center of gravity by adjusting each coil's over height
Plus, I used adjustable length end links for both sway bars

This setup then allowed me to travel at 160 MPH plus through mountain ranges in Open Road Races and car balanced so did not
have major under or over steer

Depending on the type of racing, I could then adjust suspension for the suspension I wanted

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
That is some serious kit you've got there, Andy! Looks very good indeed. From what you have said, I think it should work brilliantly. I have no experience of changing the springs, but I do know that putting the Bilstein B6s on my C5 improved the ride and, more importantly, keeps the wheels in contact with the ground over bumps etc where it would patter over them before reducing traction and confidence in equal measure. In normal driving, I found that the upgraded sway bars and these dampers helped turn-in too. When we, hopefully, get back to North Weald, I think you will be several seconds a lap quicker than last time and you weren't exactly hanging around then! Look forward to hearing how it all works once you are back on the road.(y)
Cheers Mark. I do hope we are able to get back to North Weald. You are welcome to have a drive - you’ll probably do a quicker time than me like the last bloke I offered a drive to (Fishy Dave)!!

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I did notice the Bilsteins on your car Adam, good to hear you rate them too.

Invetterate

CCCUK Member
Cheers Mark. I do hope we are able to get back to North Weald. You are welcome to have a drive - you’ll probably do a quicker time than me like the last bloke I offered a drive to (Fishy Dave)!!
Thanks Andy - I will take you up on that kind offer and, of course, reciprocate. As to times, I don't think I would be quicker than you and Dave could get a Smart car round there quicker than me in a Vette!!

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep

From a dead stop and launching the front now is so stiff that there will be little, or no weight shift from front to back
Front looks way stiffer than rears and with rear sway bar having under steer in cornering

How did they decide on total spring and swap bars front/rear to assure suspension was balanced ?
I‘m trusting that VanSteel have a lot of experience with Corvette suspension! It’s really much the same as GMs Gymkhana option anyway.
Regarding rear weight transfer, the very soft steel spring was allowing so much squat bringing in excessive camber change and loss of grip that way I think. It was like looking over a ships bow at sea when going on and off the power.

Nice set of photos for your ZR1 mods. The C4 suspension is night and day step forward over the C3.
Why was the shock absorber lower mount extended? that looks prone - increasing the leverage on the stud into a casting.
I must admit when working on the C3 suspension and seeing your C4 set-up, you realise there is a lot of potential for binding. The link bolts from the spring to the trailing arms are moving in different arcs. Ditto the sway bar links where pivots or rose joints really would be more more satisfactory than the link bolt and bushes. But it is just a primitive and old road car at the end of the day!

Invetterate

CCCUK Member

On my C4 ZR-1 I had to install and testrun different rate of springs to get the center of gravity balanced as
I canned the leaf springs and went with coil overs and custom designed sway bars.

My project for that :

Major suspension changes

At least with coil overs, I was allowed to shift the center of gravity by adjusting each coil's over height
Plus, I used adjustable length end links for both sway bars

This setup then allowed me to travel at 160 MPH plus through mountain ranges in Open Road Races and car balanced so did not
have major under or over steer

Depending on the type of racing, I could then adjust suspension for the suspension I wanted
As ever, John, you are at the pinnacle of what is possible with a Corvette and that is both fascinating and stimulating. I think most of us here who are modifying from standard do not have the facilities/resources to test options and are just trying to improve the car overall bearing in mind that the vast majority of the time, we are on the road and not the track. This means researching and picking an option more often than not. Andy [Forrest Gump] is using the GM Gymkhana set-up as the basis for his mods, although the Bilsteins will be far better than the GM shocks of the time, I am sure! As to running at 160mph through the mountains, that is a dream I will never realise I'm afraid - more's the pity!!
Cheers,
Mark

Roscobbc

Even though the rear suspension of the C3 (and later C2's) dates back to the early/mid 60's for its day the rear end was relatively high tech compared with much else on the market (except perhaps a few really exotic European high end cars) and when thinking about some of the UK and European 'ordinary' front (or rear) engined, rear wheel drive cars that were brought on to the market that had independant rear suspension and how potentially poor they were in extreme handling conditions (Triumph Spitfire/Herald?) it makes you realise that the Corvette IRS (for all its relative simplicity) works quite well.