T-Tops Question

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I've never seen them put behind the seats, is that really possible? Seems a tight fit and wouldn't they crack from bumps? Do they really need to go in bags that might mark them up in some way? Do they rattle behind the seats?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

I've never seen them put behind the seats, is that really possible? Seems a tight fit and wouldn't they crack from bumps? Do they really need to go in bags that might mark them up in some way?

Thanks.
Perhaps if you same the height as 'er indoors (4' 10") with driver and passenger seat all the way forward?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
If you don`t fit them in soft lined storage bags they will get scratched and damaged as they slide about on top of each other . I guess when you say stowage "behind the seats" you mean in luggage area and not upright behind the seats . The sugar scoop C3`s dont have much height to the luggage area so you would only get a tooth brush and a pair of pants in there too ! The glass back C3 has more space and I regulary stow my glass panels in bags in there and enough of `er indoors clobber for a day out too :D

James Vette

CCCUK Member
If you don`t fit them in soft lined storage bags they will get scratched and damaged as they slide about on top of each other . I guess when you say stowage "behind the seats" you mean in luggage area and not upright behind the seats . The sugar scoop C3`s dont have much height to the luggage area so you would only get a tooth brush and a pair of pants in there too ! The glass back C3 has more space and I regulary stow my glass panels in bags in there and enough of `er indoors clobber for a day out too :D
I found out you can buy a padded suitcase to store them in behind the seats. Probably worth investing in!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I found out you can buy a padded suitcase to store them in behind the seats. Probably worth investing in!
You can buy separate stowage bags for each panel . Never seen a suitcase version , does it have a devider to keep the two panels apart ? They will scratch each other if not .
As an aside to the glass panel issue , it is always a good idea to release the latches to release the tension before jacking up a glass T Top C3 as any slight chassis flexing might cause the glass to crack . Expensive to replace :eek:

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I think they fit with the insides of the T-Tops together so they don't scratch. Pretty sure they're clipped in to stop any movement. Thanks for the tip!

Roscobbc

You can buy separate stowage bags for each panel . Never seen a suitcase version , does it have a devider to keep the two panels apart ? They will scratch each other if not .
As an aside to the glass panel issue , it is always a good idea to release the latches to release the tension before jacking up a glass T Top C3 as any slight chassis flexing might cause the glass to crack . Expensive to replace :eek:
I have a padded and divided 'soft' zipped suitcase for my early C3. Bought from Ecklers as I recall. Its a perfect size width-wise in the rear not to move about - and yes it does protect the tops quite well. Removeable rear window goes in compartment under rear deck.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
My 68 C3 didn't come with the bags and I often had the T-Tops off and just rested / wedged them in the rear compartment with a coat or some such between the bits where they met (one t-top mostly on the left, one mostly on the right). Didn't move around or rattle. I did get some bags for them though as its easier.
I'm 6ft and have the seats all the way back and can get the t-tops in behind me no issues. As mentioned above, the removable rear window has a separate compartment just below the rear deck. I've not taken my rear window out though, as a prior owner to me looks to have put sealant all around the window edges to stop water getting in. Consequently, the window doesn't want to come out.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
My 68 C3 didn't come with the bags and I often had the T-Tops off and just rested / wedged them in the rear compartment with a coat or some such between the bits where they met (one t-top mostly on the left, one mostly on the right). Didn't move around or rattle. I did get some bags for them though as its easier.
I'm 6ft and have the seats all the way back and can get the t-tops in behind me no issues. As mentioned above, the removable rear window has a separate compartment just below the rear deck. I've not taken my rear window out though, as a prior owner to me looks to have put sealant all around the window edges to stop water getting in. Consequently, the window doesn't want to come out.
Probably don't want to smell the exhaust all the time anyway. 😅

Roscobbc

Oddly enough that doesn't happen. For me driving around in a car that has a cabin temperature in the summer akin to the flue of a Bessemer Converter removal and stowage of hard-tops is essential - removal of rear window is an additional bonus - the targa 'hoop' sans the rear window seems to give a less wind disturbed 'barnet' experience than perhaps a rag top.

Adtheman

CCCUK Member
ive got the 2 separate vinyl bags that are fleece lined. You can also buy a strap that clips into the silver hooks on the wheel arches and the rear bulkhead.

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
I have the leatherette standard bags, in which I put the glass tops and then into the padded divided zipped soft case like Ross has - heavy lift leaning into the back over the seats - Do Not pick up a glass top horizontally from a corner with one hand - don't ask me how I know it breaks.