TH 350

Dellb

CCCUK Member
Hi All
Just a quick thread to let you know that the upgrade on my 1980 C3 is complete at last. Hydraulic roller conversion, installation of factory AC and tranny upgrade.

This has however left me with a TH350 box loafing around the garage. Currently conducting huge garage clear out (like you do at the end of a project) and I thought there may be someone out there who may be in need of a tranny.
So if anyone wants an old TH350, there is one here. No cost, just collect.
If interested please send contact details.
Delb

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
How nice and refreshing to see someone prepared to give an unwanted item to a fellow enthusiast - well done Dellb
Note to Mods - perhaps this thread should be moved to Members Only? - sorry Corvette James, you might have to join up to see the photos ;)

Rich

Administrator
I can move it to the Members Forum.
However, surely the decision whether it goes to a Member or Non-member rests with Dellb.

Dellb

CCCUK Member
No I did not upgrade the transmission as such. My driving does not include long motorway cruises etc. I originally was going to have this gearbox overhauled. To cut a long story short, it was not that much more expensive to by a new tranny in the US, with the modern innards and upgraded valve block and ship it across.
I posted pics after the rebuild.
She drives well and the shifts are perfect.

Delb

johng

CCCUK Member
Delb, I think I'm going to need to overhaul or replace my TH350. Would you mind letting me know where you bought yours and what it cost. Also, do you still have your old gearbox and if so where in the country are you?
John

Dellb

CCCUK Member
Hi John
First, the old tranny is now at the scrapyard.

when it comes to the new one, there are factors such as shipping you have to take into consideration. I buy most of my spares

Dellb

CCCUK Member
Don’t know what happened there John, but I will try and finish the thread.
I buy most of my spares from the US. I buy in bulk and work on a six to eight week period before I need them. That way I can use a company called STS imports who ship US cars to the UK and fill remaining container space with spares. This means shipping costs are spread across a number of customers.

I decided against a 400R conversion, because
I do not do a lot of high speed cruising.
My rear end is 3.07 which helps
I can tack things together, but I am not a welder. And there is quite a bit of cross member mods to do.
When I looked around to get my tranny overhauled, I was getting prices of between £950, to £1100.
When I checked on line, I found I could get a new box for about £1300. To me this was a no brainer, cause the box has 100% new innards, and has a upgraded valve block that allows full manual or automatic shifts.
As it happens the box is flawless with smooth changes either manual or auto.
The box I chose was a TFI super street fighter from summit racing.
The current exchange rate helps a lot.
Hope that helps
Delb

johng

CCCUK Member
That certainly helps, thanks. One other thing, did you take out and replace the box yourself? If so, how easy or hard was it?

Dellb

CCCUK Member
I did it myself. I timed it such that I could do the cam upgrade at the same time and lifted the whole unit out as one. You do need some serious lifting kit with sufficient reach. I presume you could get the tranny out on its own, but you would have to have the car up quite high to get it out.
I attach a pic of it just before it went in. By the way it is TCI not TFI.

Attachments

• 8BE0B0E2-59EF-481F-8F41-12768B8CD7BB.jpeg
    8BE0B0E2-59EF-481F-8F41-12768B8CD7BB.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 9