The history of the origin of your Corvette colour

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
There’s something bad ass but also classy about a black car dripping in chrome 😜View attachment 25600

I really had no choice as Texas being closer to the equator the sun is much hotter, brighter and high UV
The hatch glass is a large area and would really cause inside to get really hot, so the louver really helped
but have to get used to looking between the slates when looking via rearview mirror

It was common to burn fingers when holding the steering wheel before turning A/C on

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I really had no choice as Texas being closer to the equator the sun is much hotter, brighter and high UV
The hatch glass is a large area and would really cause inside to get really hot, so the louver really helped
but have to get used to looking between the slates when looking via rearview mirror

It was common to burn fingers when holding the steering wheel before turning A/C on
Not much chance of equatorial temperatures in down town Dagenham UK but louvres were a must have for any budding Boy Racer with a Ford Capri in the 1970`s !!!Ford Capri.jpg

Roscobbc

Back when I had one of these.......the extreme angle of the rear window of the '71 - '73 Mustang really alluded to zero rear visiblity if raining or there was water laying on the window surface (no heated rear window or rear wiper) - at best you had the equivalent of a 3" 'slot' for rear visibiity......reduced significantly if you had the rear end of the car 'jacked-up' to clear those 10" wide rear wheels and monster General Grabber tyres. Yes, in theory the rear louvres would heap seeing where you had just been if raining.....however that 3" 'slot' was effective further reduced........
32919413-1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-thumb.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Think of the old Ferrari saying, “ what’s behind doesn’t matter”

Louvre’s did look very good on 1969-1973 fastback/sports roof mustangs.
The factory fitted hinged versions made cleaning the rear screen easier.

Roscobbc

Interestingly there is no mention of white coloured Corvettes - i.e Polar White.......OK, so there isn't a race track or event related to a white colour. Having said that some might classify white as very much as a 'non-colour' and rather uninteresting being the closest thing to daylight and seemingly devoid of even the slightest colour tint and of little interest compared to more intense colours. Of course that is not really true as there are many differing shades of white and daylight has significant yellow and red tones. Me?, whether one likes white or not - it does present a car, and especially a Vette with very sharp and specific body lines like the C3, C7 and C8 in a pure way.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Interestingly there is no mention of white coloured Corvettes - i.e Polar White.......OK, so there isn't a race track or event related to a white colour. Having said that some might classify white as very much as a 'non-colour' and rather uninteresting being the closest thing to daylight and seemingly devoid of even the slightest colour tint and of little interest compared to more intense colours. Of course that is not really true as there are many differing shades of white and daylight has significant yellow and red tones. Me?, whether one likes white or not - it does present a car, and especially a Vette with very sharp and specific body lines like the C3, C7 and C8 in a pure way.

While not specifically mentioned Ross, I think this part is aimed at that colour and others..

"After years of innocuous names like Tuxedo Black, Ermine White, Arctic Blue, etc. like most manufacturers used at the time"

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Always thought white suited the corvette very nicely. To my eyes all generations looked good in white.
White with a red interior is a favourite of mine.
On white convertibles I prefer a black top, on other colours a white top is preferred

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Interestingly there is no mention of white coloured Corvettes - i.e Polar White.......OK, so there isn't a race track or event related to a white colour.
Limited edition Corvette racer Ron Fellows C6 Z06s certainly looked good in white. Were there any other limited edition Vettes in white?