The proverbial horn problem!

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
I'm trying to get the horns to work! I know they are problematic on the 'vette. I've deduced the horns are operative. Applying 12v direct to the horns, they work! The upper contact on the spring in the centre of the steering wheel has constant 12v regardless of the position of the ignition switch. ? Is the normal that the horns will normally work with ignition off? I've cleaned up the push switch and reassembled, nothing broken and constant 12v to the horn push ring with the 'L' bracket that contacts the upper contact plunger/spring! I've seen 2 ways of assembling the horn push, one with the bottom mounting ring with the 3 screw lugs under the tilt locking ring (Pic 1, uTube) or above it, but the other way up? ( as my original Pic 2). Grounding the horn ring with a screwdriver gets a few electric sparks but no sound from the horns!
I deduce it may be the horn relay....but can I find it!! No............It is not under the bonnet and I cannot find anything that resembles it under the dash and above the fusebox! (Pic3) ( as an aside, the only green and red wires I can see are those on the RHS of the pic but the 2 pin connector plug is not connected!! ) HELP!IMG_1139.JPGIMG_1136.JPGIMG_1151.JPG

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Can you find the two black wires coming out of the steering column electrical connector? One of those should go to the horn relay.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
Trev - when you re-assembled the parts at the top of the steering column did you have a metal pin about 1/2 inch long and a small spring that first went into a hole prior to putting in those three main screws? If they are missing it won't work. And even if they are there if they are not exactly in the right place it still won't work. Try having another fiddle with it.

trevbeadle

CCCUK Member
Trev - when you re-assembled the parts at the top of the steering column did you have a metal pin about 1/2 inch long and a small spring that first went into a hole prior to putting in those three main screws? If they are missing it won't work. And even if they are there if they are not exactly in the right place it still won't work. Try having another fiddle with it.
Yes, the pin, spring and collar are all in the hole and as I said it has constant 12v, as does the horn rim now it has all been reassembled.