Thoughts on this C5

PrinceRupert

Regular user
As per my wanted thread, I am looking at C5s and C6s, which a preference for a C5 convertible - though few cars seem to be around and those that are, the asking prices seem to be steep.

I saw this come up on an auction site I am not familiar with, and discounted it as I thought it was 150k miles - but it is infact a Japanese import with 150k km, so around 90k miles.
It didn't sell - estimate 14k, bidding reached £10,360. Is the owner (Tom) on here? From one of the responses to a query, it seemed like he might be.

Possibly the most detailed advert I have ever seen! It seems an honest and well loved car, albeit not perfect and an early model so understand it will lack some of the nice to haves like the HUD. Do the early models have any other disadvantages over late models? And does anyone have an idea on fair value for an early model in this condition/mileage and a Japanese import?

Rich

Administrator
Is the owner (Tom) on here? From one of the responses to a query, it seemed like he might be.
Yes, he is. I have sent him an email drawing his attention to your post. The car was on the CCCUK stand at the NEC Classic Car Show in 2019.

commanderrostom

Regular user
Hi guys
Yes I’m here! Surviving being locked up/ down/ in etc.!
Vette is mine and very well described and photographed on the auction site. It was previously owned and meticulously kept by a member Keith Simmonds near Oxford. It’s now done 94,000 and going like a train! It’s on site now at £12,995 to include auction fees . Seems about right to me but...??!! I’m after a c6, just to update as I use the car regularly. Not quite a daily driver but 14K miles in my ownership. But don’t want a black one!!
Call me tomorrow ( swopping mbl provider and phone off till tomorrow afternoon... 07831 682007.
Cheers All
Tom Commander

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Can`t speak from experience about Japanese import C5`s but my 1980 C3 spent all but the first 9 years of its life in Japan until I bought it in 2016 and it was virtually rust free with 82000 kilometres on the clock which is a big plus (y) The C5 looks a good buy to me at the right price .

PrinceRupert

Regular user
Thanks Tom nice to e-meet you. The only thing that puts me off the earlier cars is the lack of HUD. In terms of values prices are difficult to pin point, a comparator is the chap at Eurovettes has a 2004 with similar mileage up for sale at around 16k. I do like your car though and would be interested if an agreement could be reached and an inspection checks out. Shame about lockdown, you're not a million miles from me but coming out to say hello and take a look at the car will be tricky until restrictions soften.

I noticed the auction site you're selling your car through charges a fee of 5% + VAT, which seems a lot of cash, particularly given they didn't sell your car! The reason I didn't consider bidding in the auction was the advert on PH where I spotted the car first states the car has 150k miles not 150k km... (I just checked and it is buried in the small print but certainly didn't help to drum up interest). If their fee could get knocked off, a deal would be easier to arrive at!

Rich

Administrator
The only thing that puts me off the earlier cars is the lack of HUD........

You can install HUD as a retro fit. There is even a template hole in the dash for non HUD cars. Some info is here:

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
My favourite comment from the auction advert:
"Tom specifically bought the car to be enjoyed and used, and it has served him on many road trips across Europe with his wide. "
I hope his "wide" isn't on here to see that. :ROFLMAO:

PhilV8

CCCUK Member
My favourite comment from the auction advert:
"Tom specifically bought the car to be enjoyed and used, and it has served him on many road trips across Europe with his wide. "
I hope his "wide" isn't on here to see that. :ROFLMAO:
Wonder if that's why they have wide body kits, so people can take their wide's with them......